Gymea Bay Baths (port Hacking)

Dolmo

Hey,

Convinced the girlfriend to run around the corner 5mins to Gymea Bay Baths and try out some new lures that I have purchased.

So we got down there and there was a bunch of kids talking about sharks, etc and there was afair bit of surface movement as most days down there from memory. Threw the lure around for most of the time with nothing apart from seeing how long they take to sink, movement, and general knowledge i gained from watching each lure do its thing.

After abit a small group of baby tailor jumped abit and there was a decent size fish or to....got a strike but misseed what looked to be a rat kingfish, or possibly a decent size tailor...to hard to tell...it then went back to being quiet again.

I then tried for some squid with no luck, but i did have my legs hanging near the water and to my suprise i looked down for some unknown reason and saw a SHARK atleast 1.3 or so metres long crusing past my foot....it couldnt tell the exact species, but i would say it was either a whaler or a small bull. The mum next to me whose kids where swimming in the baths heard me say it and freaked and everyone left the water pretty fast, because the nets have fallen and he can go in and out of it....only saw him for about 30seconds or so.

Was great to see, i wonder how many more are around!!!!

I also headed down lilli pilli baths thism orning with no luck at all, saw 2 bonito jump but didnt get a strike neither did anyone else there at around 5:30 to 7ish apart from a boat 50m out which i saw catch 2 or 3 what looked to be rat kingies...which they were keeping.

Anyway hope others had a good session today, im thinking about setting a nice big hook with fresh fish ir squid for sharky one night...any thoughts?

Anyway hope others had a good session today, im thinking about setting a nice big hook with fresh fish ir squid for sharky one night...any thoughts?

Hmm... if you want to catch that shark, something with a bit of blood and scent should do it... Maybe mullet or tailor (butterflied, filleted or whole... even just the head). You will need heavy gear, a big, sharp hook, wire trace and some very long bolt cutters or something to snip the trace or hook (you need to consider whether - and if so, how - you'll land it... and if so, what you'd do with it!)

Flattieman.

close encounter there mate :1yikes:

you have a good mrs mate, mine came fishing with me today :)

Ben

Yeh she is a good girl.....even woke early (around 5) to come fishing then i went to work and she went back to bed hehe

I have never seen a shark in the actually bays of the hacking...pretty exciting!

I have a full Bonnie in the freezer....im sure that would work.

I dont know if i will do it tongiht, not enough time to organise what I would need, and just incase something bighger hit i would haver to go abit heavier gear thatn what I would for a smaller one.

I just more abit happy that he is around, and see it as abit of game fishing haha. Goes to show how good the water ways are becoming....lots of nice fish around and lots of good predators also

I have heard of them being caught in the bays and the hacking...just never seen one in person before in the waterways...apart from out near Jibbon Beach

Edited by Dolmo

I have a full Bonnie in the freezer....im sure that would work.

I dont know if i will do it tongiht, not enough time to organise what I would need, and just incase something bighger hit i would haver to go abit heavier gear thatn what I would for a smaller one.

I just more abit happy that he is around, and see it as abit of game fishing haha. Goes to show how good the water ways are becoming....lots of nice fish around and lots of good predators also

Just remember that fishing for sharks is a very dangerous business... many safety precautions should be taken. I'm pretty sure that a few of the more experienced shark fishos would have some advice. Be well prepared if you do decide to go ahead with it.

Flatieman.

Just remember that fishing for sharks is a very dangerous business... many safety precautions should be taken. I'm pretty sure that a few of the more experienced shark fishos would have some advice. Be well prepared if you do decide to go ahead with it.

Flatieman.

I carry a baseball bat (priest), razor sharp machete, fixed head gaff and a tail rope (used in that order) in the boat at all times in the event of a close encounter of the toothy kind.. if the shark is anything serious it will be cut free, if it is a mako, it doesnt come aboard with its head attached.. and if anyone has ever seen a mako jump almost into a boat, they will appreciate why i carry the bat and the machete.

I strongly recomend staying away from sharks unless you are absolutley 100% clear of what you are doing, things can turn belly up really quick.

I carry a baseball bat (priest), razor sharp machete, fixed head gaff and a tail rope (used in that order) in the boat at all times in the event of a close encounter of the toothy kind.. if the shark is anything serious it will be cut free, if it is a mako, it doesnt come aboard with its head attached.. and if anyone has ever seen a mako jump almost into a boat, they will appreciate why i carry the bat and the machete.

I strongly recomend staying away from sharks unless you are absolutley 100% clear of what you are doing, things can turn belly up really quick.

Good advice, Sam.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

good advice sammy,

i just read a report that showed a guy who caught a blue shark and the trace got twisted and as he went to straighten it out he got his hand/fingers bitten. then when he boated it he got bitten on the same hand again.

he got the shark and he got quite a few stiches as well!!! heres a pic

so be prepared

cheers pk

post-1777-1169980628_thumb.jpg

Edited by pk-fishn