Fishing The Valiant Wreck

yobleduwop

Hey guys, i have the valiant wreck on my gps but i've never been there to fish, how does it fish and are there any tips you guys have to getting the most out of a trip there?

Are there any rules i should know about when fishing near it such as am i even allowed to?

Thanks Guys

Holds Yakkas and other bait most of the time, on the bottom on bait jigs, Kings come thru there on the change of high tide, thats about it.

hi yobleduwop, mate its like anywhere ive caught king's there no great size to them and also snapper, like the other chaps, its a wreck thats regularly dived by divers they tie up to the boy.....hey its always worth a go.....Tight Lines All

Regards Craig

I fish it a bit and find it can be hot or cold. Definitely better in the months after Christmas and as said, the high tide is best. You can tie up to the rope and bouy however have to get off if a dive boat comes by as they put it on. They have to do this regularly as it is frequently broken off by fishos. Be careful on a high tide with a swell running as the line is pretty short and can jerk you around a bit. One problem is that it is usually positioned at one end of the wreck and depending on the wind / tide you can often be fishing over sand and miss the reef by 50m (sometimes this matters, sometimes not). Sometimes can be better to use a sand anchor and position your boat right over the wreck if someone else is on the bouy.

I definitely find the late arvo, early evening best - just hope the northerlies dont kick in too hard. It often pays to get yakkas else-where as the ones on the wreck tend to be quite big. I find the smaller ones get hit more quickly. Sometimes the action is so hot every livie gets hit within 2 min of making the drop. No time to put out a second line. Just drop it and hang on - big bonnies, good kings and the odd sampson. Of couse this is the exception rather than the rule but when they are biting - whoo hoo. Just watch it as the kings love to make it to the rope and cut you off so dont fish light.

Bream, snapper, dory in winter, flatties, big squid, tailor and sambos are the other possibilities.