Hydraulic Steering Bleeding

peahead

Hi Fisho's

I am looking to bleed my hynautic hydraulic steering (single Engine) as I am getting sounds like air bubbles rushing from my steering everytime I turn the wheel. :thumbdown:

I have had a search on the web but can only find T pieces that I can buy and they cost a fortune

Have you guys had experiences in bleeding you hydraulic steering ? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Peahead

Hi Fisho's

I am looking to bleed my hynautic hydraulic steering (single Engine) as I am getting sounds like air bubbles rushing from my steering everytime I turn the wheel. :thumbdown:

I have had a search on the web but can only find T pieces that I can buy and they cost a fortune

Have you guys had experiences in bleeding you hydraulic steering ? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Peahead

G'day mate do you have a filler hole at the top of the helm [just behind the steering wheel] and down on the engine side do you have bleeder niples on both sides of the steering tube?

Edited by Sammy0884

I have a Hydive system on the Haines and have only needed to bleed it once in 4 years. I had a squelching sound and just topped up the fluid and fixed it.

To bleed it is generally a 2 person job.

1st person to keep enough fluid flowing into the pump while turning the wheel

2nd person to crack and reseal the nipples.

I think I still have the instructions in the garage if you want I could copy and email or fax them to you.

Pete

Back again Peahead,

What you need is two bottles of Hydrive fluid [most boat shops sell that stuff] then on your helm unit there should be a thumb screw once you undo that you have to find a fitting that will screw into there and also a clear plastic tube that will fit over your fitting then you need another fitting that can be attached to your Hydrive fluid bottle.

The idea at the helm unit is that you should be able to hold your 1 litre bottle of fluid upside down which is connected with clear plastic tube so the oil flowes into the helm unit.

You need someone at the steering wheel holding the bottle and at the same time be prepared to turn the steering wheel at the same time in the next step.

Down on the engine side find some clear plastic tube that will fit over the nipple [about 50cm long] this is used to direct the old oil into a container.

Undo the nipple about one and a half turns.

If you undo the right hand nipple the person at the wheel turns the steering wheel to the right hand side aswell but fast. Turning the wheel fast in one direction is actually pumping the oil out at the engine side.

While the wheel is being turned keep an eye on the oil coming out is should be bubble free once it is lock your nipple up then do the other side

Try not to run out of oil at the helm unit while turning the wheel as it does get pumped out quickly

When turning the wheel and pumping the oil out, the steering wheel should not stop at full lock if it does lock the nipple you are working on and go to the other side and undo that nipple. You will know when its done properly the steering wheel wont have a full lock when being turned.

also you need to put a hole in the bottom of the bottle that is inverted so the oil can be sucked out easily while turning the wheel. If you have trouble finding the bits you need let me know I will post you mine. I have the Hydrive brand on my boat.

Anyway let me know how it goes.

Edited by vision21

No worries !

I forgot to mention the oil at the helm unit must be about 10 to 15ml below the threads of the thumb screw otherwise some oil may be forced out on hot days. [expansion of the fluid] no big deal but it just starts running down your dash area.:thumbup: