Reminder To All Boaties

Guest rzep

Yesterday afternoon when we were down at Nepean River Boat Ramp we were watching a few guys pull a speedboat out of the water when all of a sudden at the top of the ramp the boat came off the trailer and the whole thing was smack dead in the middle of the road.

The guy had only put the winch strap on and not the safety chain and the strap snapped.

The boys looked all happy sitting in the back of the boat as it was being pulled out until that happened. :1badmood:

It made a massive noise as it smashed the road, luckily there were a handful of guys around at the same time and we all jumped in and helped this guy get his boat back on the trailer.

So this was a warning - MAKE SURE YOU USE YOUR SAFETY CHAIN

I will tell you one thing - I checked mine 100 times before I drove away yesterday :thumbup:

Edited by rzep

very nasty!

I saw a similar thing happen at cooks river boat ramp a few weeks ago. Some guys were reversing a jetski ready to put in the water when he suddenly braked, the jetski rolled of at the top of the ramp and kept sliding until it was in the water :1prop: I guess one of them undid the strap abit to early and it doesnt take much to get a jetski OFF a trailer

Saw the same thing happen at Apple Tree Bay saturday, bloke was halfway back up the ramp when CRACK boat slid off the back of the trailer and onto the ramp.

His response when he saw his boat on the ground and Outboard at an angle it wasnt designed to be used........."oh, was that me"

Then there was the young bloke zig zagging his way down the ramp trying to get his boat in, next to a very expensive Bayliner...He zigged when he should have zagged and the tray of his ute ended up about 2 inches from plowing a hole in the side of the Bayliners hull.

Ah, fun times at the ramp...

I've seen the same thing happen twice this year.

There is a strange sort of silent moment when the poor guy driving up the ramp processes the crunching noise behind him... :(:(

Your right Hookem,

There was about 5 guys standing around looking like stunned mullet.

Dumb question but how would you get your boat back on your trailer? especially if you have a 5m + fibreglass hull - surely you can't just drive the back of the trailer to the bow of the boat and whinch her up and over the rollers?

I'd hate to be looking at the repair bill...

Evan

Dumb question but how would you get your boat back on your trailer? especially if you have a 5m + fibreglass hull - surely you can't just drive the back of the trailer to the bow of the boat and whinch her up and over the rollers?

I'd hate to be looking at the repair bill...

Evan

Evan

not a dumb question

How to get it back on the trailer ?very painfully

If there is another person it helps

hoping you winch hook point is above your tralier roller

you back your trailer up to hull and whilst winching just creep the car back slowly. But not pushing the boat

further back. you will get to a point where the boat will be getting to its pivot point. You can either get a third person to pull the nose down a little which will get the rear of the boat up and then finish the winch up.

It also helps to move as much stuff inside boat out or off the rear of boat.

Doing this will put a big pressure on the v off your hull but think about this you just dropped the boat on the ramp.

I witnessed a guy back his trailer in put his 6m glass boat on .Forgetting to chain it ,his winch undone and the rear hit the deck he stopped, when guys where shouting.He winched it back on and drove around and out

and didn,t even stop.To embarrassed

I almost droped my brand new Allison boat on the ramp at Apple Tree Bay back in May. My wife and two little ones where in the boat. I was use to launching my dads tinny off his home made trailer which would never let the boat slide off by itself we would just hang on to the rope that was tied up to the bow handle then use all your energy for the next week to push the boat off.

At Apple Tree Bay on my first launch I took the safety chain off and loosend the winch strapp then tied a rope to the bow roller and wrapped the rope around the winch post.

Reversing down the ramp I noticed what was starting to happen about to hit the accelerator when the boat stopped half way down the trailer. The rope some how pulled onto the winch latch and the strap hook came out of the tow eye on the boat.

A few blokes came to shake my hand telling me how lucky I was, but I must say I do it a little better now.

was it a fibreglass boat or a tinnie?. i always attach my safety chain before pulling it out.

It was fibreglass - I am sure that he would have a bit of damge under there.