Chipping Norton

Ozy

I read in the November NSWFM that there is going to be Fishcare Volunteers out and about in certain areas on certain dates to educate anglers.

One area mentioned is Chipping Norton Lakes in Sydney, now are they going there to educate people that you can't have 12 rods going at once or that it is a health hazard to be eating the fish from there :-rolleyes:1tongue: .

Hope the volunteers can speak the local lingo...Whatever it may be! :08:

17621[/snapback]

You're a braver man than me Joe, I was going to say something like that but I thought it would be politically incorrect :lol::lol::lol: .

Political correctness be stuffed! WHy be politically correct when you can be right? You dont find too many Anglos fishing there with 453284 rods in the water do you? :1onono: Its the wogs like me! :1tongue:

Political correctness be stuffed! WHy be politically correct when you can be right? You dont find too many Anglos fishing there with 453284 rods in the water do you? :1onono:  Its the wogs like me! :1tongue:

17623[/snapback]

Wogs!!!, no I would've said people of Asian origins :-rolleyes .

I was actually bagged out severly once an another site for being politically (racially) incorrect :mad3: .

Edited by Ozy

It would be nice to see the local councils pull their finger out and clean some of the crap out from the lake, i dont think ive seen any shoreline without bottles and paper , tyres, otto bins you name it.

The bream seem to like it though :insane:

Stevo

If it help's it's a good thing i say.

And there are alot of our friends's and asian's who fish Chipping Norton who dont really understand what it is there doing wrong.So to get someone to educate them is great. :08:

Hey Ozy/Jo

The laws apply to everyone living or visiting Australia, so if a fisho is breaking the rules it makes no difference what his/her ethnic origins may be. Worries about being politically correct or incorrect shouldn't even enter into it. In fact, bringing race into the argument complicates and dilutes what should be a simple matter of law abidance.

Joe

Hey Ozy/Jo

The laws apply to everyone living or visiting Australia, so if a fisho is breaking the rules it makes no difference what his/her ethnic origins may be. Worries about being politically correct or incorrect shouldn't even enter into it. In fact, bringing race into the argument complicates and dilutes what should be a simple matter of law abidance.

Joe

17648[/snapback]

Well said joe.

Couldnt have said it better myself :-rolleyes

P.S..... Regarding the subject of the thread.. sorry for going a bit off topic, I've only been to Chippo' once for the social comp' and I have to say, I too was amazed to see a number of anglers breaking the 'rod limit' rule. Hopefully the Fishcare people will help educate a few of the fisho's who frequent Chippo', but being the cycnical old barsteward that I am, I can't see anything really positive happening until we introduce some kind of long term edcuation and awareness program, backed up by regular visits from fisheries.

Unfortunately fisheries have limited resources, as we all know, and measures like this cost a lot of money.

Joe

The more educated people get on the laws the better & the less likely they are to break them.

I'm just going to drop a subtle hint here with a quote from the site rules.

5. No pictures or posts of a discrimanatory or degrading nature to any person/ persons or race

Nuff said from me.

Political correctness is buggered in NSW a person can get a drivers license even if they can’t read or write English :1yikes: , I wonder how many accidents that may have contributed to. I read an article a while back that statistically asian deaths in rock fishing is way above ethnic percapiter, & its not because they are stupid its because they just don’t understand Australian conditions its just a matter of education. The same applies to Chippy Norton you need to educate the people fishing there, so I hope that the fishcare people are multilingual or have lots of fliers in every language know to man. :08::lol::lol::lol:

Political correctness is buggered in NSW a person can get a drivers license even if they can’t read or write English  :1yikes: , I wonder how many accidents that may have contributed to. I read an article a while back that statistically asian deaths in rock fishing is way above ethnic percapiter, & its not because they are stupid its because they just don’t understand Australian conditions its just a matter of education. The same applies to Chippy Norton you need to educate the people fishing there, so I hope that the fishcare people are multilingual or have lots of fliers in every language know to man.  :08:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

17663[/snapback]

no no no made a good point on 2KY last weekend about trying to reach people who are most at risk from fishing-related deaths, particularly rock fishing. He said, and I tend to agree with him, that the people who were recognised most at risk are not experienced fisho's like you or I, they don't necessarily listen to fishing shows on the radio or buy fishing magazines, and they don't even regularly visit tackle shops. The major problem is working out a way of trying to reach these people and making them aware of the dangers they more than likely know nothing about.

Pukk'

It would be great to see Fishcare Volunteers out there trying to educate these folk who knowingly/unknowingly break rules like too many lines in the water or keeping undersized fish.

It's my belief that the only way to teach them is to hit them where it hurts, and unfortunately, these volunteers have no authority to issue fines, only pamphlets which will probably end up adding to the mess already in Chippo.

But hey, if it does get through to one person, then Fishcare have done a fantastic job in my view.

I would like to unreservedly apolagise publicly for the comments I made earlier in this post. I did not mean them to be derogatory in any way to any person. I appreciate that it is a sensitive issue and did not wish anyone to be offended. If I have offended anyone...Please accept my apology.

Hey Ozy/Jo

Joe

17648[/snapback]

I read in the November NSWFM that there is going to be Fishcare Volunteers out and about in certain areas on certain dates to educate anglers.

One area mentioned is Chipping Norton Lakes in Sydney, now are they going there to educate people that you can't have 12 rods going at once or that it is a health hazard to be eating the fish from there  :-rolleyes   :1tongue: .

17620[/snapback]

This was my original post, I don't see any references to race. In a following post, yes but that was responding to Joe's reply to my post and Joe started it off by having a go at himself :insane::D .

Maybe they should ban poms from fishing :1yikes::1prop::1naughty: , that'll fire a few up :D:D:D , sorry Pukka, couldn't resist.

Edited by Ozy

Hey Jo the Cool One, no worries mate, it is a subject close to my heart as you can tell, but I certainly didn't take offence... as for Ozy's 'pommy' comment though.. :1prop::lol::1prop::lol:

Joe the Pommy One :D

Edited by Pukka

This has been an interesting thread to read. I dont think anyone is being discriminitory at all. There is simply facts being stated.

If a said black men are faster runners than white guys over a hundred meters this is not racist or discriminitory, its a fact.

The facts are that there is a percentage of foreign visitors and foriegn born locals dont understand our regulations because they havent been educated.This applies to many other things as well. The local aussie fisho probably knows the rules but breaks em anyway and they need to be dealt with by fisheries.

I believe everyone should be treated fairly and according to their own situation. These people should not be protected from action and comment if they are doing the wrong thing, regardless of where they are from. Educate them if they dont know, and fine the ones that do.

I get frustrated sometimes when people who are clearly doing the wrong thing have some kind of immunity to comment or action just because they dont come from here. Its almost biased against aussies. You cant say or do anything for fear of being labeled a racist. But if a local does something wrong you can nail them to the wall and set them on fire :bash: and its all ok.

Yeah I get the drift JD, cans of worms arent pleasant. :1onono:

I think it is great what the Fishcare Volunters are doing and hope they can educate some people. :D

If anyones interested have a look at this :

Interesting Study

Its a government site I foung a couple of weeks ago which might shed some light, its could also be what prompted the Fishcare directive. Worth having a look. :D

Cheers

I was NOT having a go at anyone when I posted a rule reminder.

It was put there simply because I have seen many threads that started like this deteriorate in racist slanging matches & I wanted people to be aware that rubbish will not be tolerated here at all. I had not & still have not seen anything offensive posted in this thread.

Feel free to continue guys after my interuption :1naughty::1prop:

Hey Captain Cool B) I wonder what did happen to the call you made to fisheries that day down at Chipping Norton, did they get back to you, can't remember now.

17851[/snapback]

They got back to me...on TUESDAY!

If you recall, that was the time I posted the mobile numbers for the Fisheries Inspectors as they told me to use those rather than the Hotline number as it not always manned! :1tongue:

For those that didn't read the report GrantM linked to, here is a very relevant quote:

"Recreational fishing on a mass scale, and in particular, the practices of certain groups of migrants to Australia have aroused substantially strong feelings in the wider community amongst those concerned with the survival and viability of the marine environment. While this view is completely understandable, one of the difficulties surrounding this issue is that it has tapped into the racist sentiments amongst some in the wider community. This has had the unfortunate result of clouding both the fact that damaging practices, whilst particularly widespread in certain communities, are by no means unique to them, and, that ‘scapegoating’ a particular community is not going to go very far in assisting to change or modify recreational fishing practices amongst this group."

I couldn't agree more with the above statement (and by that, I don't mean to be taking a shot at anything in this thread).

I wish my fishing license dollars would go into something as cheap and easy as signs in various languages with size and bag limits for the common species posted at ALL well-known land based spots. Recently, I was actually SUPRISED that a bucket I looked in had only legal fish in it...

Wakd.

Edited by wakd