First Time Boat Owner

sc0pe

hi guys, will be picking my boat up this week, its a 4.25m flat v tinny with a 25hp tamaha 4 stroke. around 2000 vintage for both. will be on a new dunbier trailer as the trailer its sitting on is pretty far gone.

ive been on alot of boats, having had one in the family growing up, and having mates with boats, but never having owned one myself, i need the lowdown on what i should and shouldnt do, things i should always have onboard etc etc

safetly gear. im looking at getting 2 manual inflation pfd 1's, mainly because ill wear it more if it isnt bulky. i only intend to get 2, but i only ever intend to have 2 onboard at any time. boat has a marine radio and navman 450 finder, im thinking ill add a portable gps and holder. i will go thru and sort out a specific first aid kit for boat that will mainly consist of burn, cut and abrasion gear, but not excluding the normal first aid gear.

flares. what kind of flares should i get, is there any difference, or are they all the same.

what should i carry onboard at all times, apart from safety gear. im thinking along the lines of stainless shackles, rags, wd40, shifter, screwdrives, pliers, some wire, 2 torches etc etc what else is usefull?

does anyone have a 2000 model yamaha 4 stroke? are there any tips towards cleaning or maintenece, any fuel they dont agree with?

what is a good tiedown strap, im intending to get 2 fore and aft, mainly because there is 40kms of 25kmh turns between me and where i want to fish.

boat covers, would i be better off getting something made from canvas, or would an off the shelf cover be fine? it needs to be waterproof and able to handle buffeting and wind on trailer. how much would i be looking at for either option before i start looking. (any businesses your happy with in south western sydney feel free to plug)

what are good online sites? i know oif bias and whitworths, any others i havnt found?

any tricks for trailer/boat washing? my general idea is to hose everything down with freshwater, is that enougth?

boat will be kept in a locked garage with my ute, so security isnt an issue.

thanks for reading, alot of the questions are simple, i just figure its better to get the right answer first without making the mistake

cheers, daniel

Good luck with your new boat and congratulations.

You have come to the right place for tips on boating. All I can say is just get out and use it for a season or two before you make any big decisions or purchases and you will work it out for yourself in that time. In a 4.25 m tinnie you will be quite limited in space although you don't think so at the moment. You are right about the 2 tie down straps (fore and aft). On long trips your boat will flex a bit and this may help prevent your boat or trailer cracking. Make sure the trailer is set up righyt and your boat is sitting on all the supports properly.

Best wishes

davo

becareful not to tighten those straps too tight, especially if your springs are getting on a bit, they loose alot of their suspension and if you strap her down too tight your boat will absorb every bump in the road, its a quick way to crack your welds.

thanks for all the replies guys, im just starting to get some things together now so the first trip goes off without a hitch hopefully.

im curiouse about the straps tho, how tight is too tight, and is running 2 straps such a good idea as 2 would cut down alot of bounce, but as pointed out will also increase the strain on the hull/trailer...

cheers, daniel

Interesting post Hennesy. You never stop learning from this site. I have developed cracks 9only very slight at the moment), and i believed it was from not sitting on the rollers properly. may have to look at those straps too.

thanks

davo