Dioxin

livo

Raiders of Sydney, I'd like to bring to your attention, if you haven't already seen it, a small leaflet posted to me today by the NSW Dept of Primary Industries.

It's a small two sided piece of work updated December 2006, which describes what dioxins are and states that all professional fishing in the Harbour has been stopped. Also that any fish caught inside the bridge should be released and not eaten. It then goes on to list the total number of 150 Gram serves of fish per month it is deemed safe to eat for 14 different species including prawns and crabs. It explains that these serving suggestions are recommended total consumption.

Some of it is pretty scary like only 1 serve of tailor @ 150 g per month. So if you eat that you shouldn't eat anything else within the month. Kingfish you can eat 1.8 kg or 12 serves. Squid 4 serves and so it goes on.

I don't fish in the Harbour but I'm not convinced that fish caught off Barrenjoey haven't visited.

More information available at www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au or ph 1300 552 406.

I recieved this mailout because I responded to the Port Stephens-Great Lakes Marine Park Proposal last year.

I've also received this leaflet in the mail.

I'm guessing i received it because i bought a fishing liscense and

you had to leave your address there when you buy one.

It makes me think twice about eating fish caught in the harbour now.

Maybe all licenced fisherpersons will recieve it. That could be why I got it as well and not the marine park survey. Good thinking 99.

This stuff is a real worry. I'm not going to say that it is in fish outside the harbour but if it's in Tailor, which are a migratory fish, it's possible that catching them on Putty Beach and eating them could be hazardous if they've visited Sydney Harbour. It's not far away by water.

A mate of mine had a severe reaction to a meal of Blertas (Trevally) he had caught in Broken Bay a few years back. He blew up like a balloon and turned a bright pink overnight and was taken to hospital when his airways closed up. He had three days off work and was unwell for a few days after that. As a Phys. Ed. teacher he was a very fit man and his reaction was amazing. They said it could be Ciguatera poisoning but I've been unable to find anything about this toxin being in common blertas. I still eat them from time to time.

This stuff is a real worry. I'm not going to say that it is in fish outside the harbour but if it's in Tailor, which are a migratory fish, it's possible that catching them on Putty Beach and eating them could be hazardous if they've visited Sydney Harbour. It's not far away by water.

A mate of mine had a severe reaction to a meal of Blertas (Trevally) he had caught in Broken Bay a few years back. He blew up like a balloon and turned a bright pink overnight and was taken to hospital when his airways closed up. He had three days off work and was unwell for a few days after that. As a Phys. Ed. teacher he was a very fit man and his reaction was amazing. They said it could be Ciguatera poisoning but I've been unable to find anything about this toxin being in common blertas. I still eat them from time to time.

i seriously dont think the dioxin levels made ur friend throw up and all that instantly. Because wat the dioxin levels does is it builds up in ur body over a long period of time and can eventually become lethal. Some people has been eating harbour fish/prawns for 20+ years and they are still fine. Its called bioaccumulation and it just basically stays in ur body until one day its too much.

Raiders of Sydney, I'd like to bring to your attention, if you haven't already seen it, a small leaflet posted to me today by the NSW Dept of Primary Industries.

It's a small two sided piece of work updated December 2006, which describes what dioxins are and states that all professional fishing in the Harbour has been stopped. Also that any fish caught inside the bridge should be released and not eaten. It then goes on to list the total number of 150 Gram serves of fish per month it is deemed safe to eat for 14 different species including prawns and crabs. It explains that these serving suggestions are recommended total consumption.

Some of it is pretty scary like only 1 serve of tailor @ 150 g per month. So if you eat that you shouldn't eat anything else within the month. Kingfish you can eat 1.8 kg or 12 serves. Squid 4 serves and so it goes on.

I don't fish in the Harbour but I'm not convinced that fish caught off Barrenjoey haven't visited.

More information available at www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au or ph 1300 552 406.

I recieved this mailout because I responded to the Port Stephens-Great Lakes Marine Park Proposal last year.

Like all decent fishermen, I too got the leaflet too (those who have a licence). However I think there is a missprint in the leaflet. I thought it was WEST of the harbour bridge in the picture, but the writting bit says EAST where the dioxins are. I think our friend McDonald needs to correct the leaflet.

More money should be spent on cleaning the ocean and create fish habitats. Well thats my own opinion.

Edited by squidboy

Like all decent fishermen, I too got the leaflet too (those who have a licence). However I think there is a missprint in the leaflet. I thought it was WEST of the harbour bridge in the picture, but the writting bit says EAST where the dioxins are. I think our friend McDonald needs to correct the leaflet.

More money should be spent on cleaning the ocean and create fish habitats. Well thats my own opinion.

Just checked the pamphlet. It says "Fish and crustaceans caught west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge should not be eaten." It then goes on to list the amounts of various fish that can be eaten, for fish caught east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. :wacko:

i seriously dont think the dioxin levels made ur friend throw up and all that instantly. Because wat the dioxin levels does is it builds up in ur body over a long period of time and can eventually become lethal.

I undersatnd this and I can see how my post could be read that way. What I was actually saying was that these things and other may be in fish caught outside the Harbour if they've been in there.

Secondly I was asking if anyone has ever heard of Ciguatera being in Blertas, ie Trevally. Not GT's or Goldens from up North but the stock standard Sydney / Broken Bay blerta.

WHERE ARE THE JEWFISH AND FLATHEAD TESTS FROM THE HARBOUR????

I SEARCHED THE DPI AND FOOD AUTHORITY SITES A WEEK AGO FOR THE INFO - ZIPPO.

IF THE BREAM CAUGHT AT BALMORAL WAS WAY OVER THE LIMIT (IN THE ORIGINAL TESTING), AND THE SQUID CAME FROM ROSE BAY. I SMELL ANOTHER RAT AT DPI.

YOU GOTTA WONDER ABOUT THE FLATHEAD AND THE JEW?

AND A 150 GRAM FILLET IS A PRETTY SMALL FISH....... ONE PER MONTH.

DPI HAVE A BOAT CRUISING THE HARBOUR ADVISING ANGLERS ABOUT THE DANGERS....

BUT HAVE PULLED THE PROS FROM THE HARBOUR IN THE INTRESTS OF PUBLIC HEALTH (READ - NOT GET SUED).

I ONLY EAT SURFACE FISH FROM THE HARBOUR NOW - THANK GOD FOR THE KINGIE RECOVERY. AND DONT EAT YOUR LEFT OVER BAITS.........

I am a doctor(surgeon).It sounds like the phs. ed man had an allergic reaction ie the swelling,bronchoconstriction etc,whereas ciguatera poisoning is a toxin which causes problems with your nervous system,headaches and vomiting

OK thanks. So I knew he wasn't Dioxin poisoned and the possibility of Ciguatera is unlikely due to his symptoms suggesting an alergic reaction. I wonder what he reacted to. He was a very keen fisherman (unfortunately killed in a car crash 2 years ago) and he had, prior to this incident, eaten many fish of the same species without problem.

I accept that we'll never know the answer but it does make you wonder about what is actually in the fish we catch sometimes. I know I'd be reluctant to eat anything much out of the Harbour other than Kingies or other migratory fish caught right at the heads. But look at the recomendations for Tailor?????

I have eaten many Sydney Harbour Prawns and the famous Sydney Rock Oyster. Now you'd have to think twice before tucking in.

Found the results on the food authority site-

Basically the most toxic dioxion compound, 2,3,7,8-TCDD predominated all samples of bream and Prawns. All the bream tested were over the current European Union limits.

DPI in the December Newscast puts bream on par with Tailor at eating 150 grams per month - Mullet were the real worry at only 50 grams per month.