bullfrog

I have just received my boat renewal from GIO and there's

a small paragraph in their product disclosure booket which

I haven't seen before.

Under the heading 'Your responsibilities' it says "Boats on

trailers must be locked to their trailer...."

I have never seen a security system that physically locks

a boat to the trailer, has anyone else seen one?. Also, I

wonder if GIO are the only company with this clause.

Bullfrog,

They are called Padlocks :1prop:

Just remove your safety chain shackle and replace it with a padlock, easy.

I think that requirement is a little silly myself, if your boat gets nicked how will they know it was padlocked or not, just a deterrent I guess.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Maybe they meant a trailer lock, but being an insurance co. you would want to make sure of this a any loophole they will pounce on instead of paying out. Thanks for the heads up. I'm in the process of changing over to GIO as my renewals up as well.

Cheers

Kurt

Had a similar request from our insurance, when questioned, the person said put a padlock on the chain and one on the strap/tie down. he couldn't understand the futility of a padlock on something that could be cut like the tie-downs??? lol

always had one at the front chain but even then that can be severed, taking civil claims avoidance to the extreme if you ask me.

B

They are called Padlocks :1prop:

Just remove your safety chain shackle and replace it with a padlock, easy.

This was covered in an earlier post (D Shackle thieves) and it was noted that padlocks are not load rated. That in turn could cause a claim if the boat fell off in transit.

This was covered in an earlier post (D Shackle thieves) and it was noted that padlocks are not load rated. That in turn could cause a claim if the boat fell off in transit.

Agreed,

I take the padlock off and replace it with a load rated shackle when transporting it.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

HeyJohhno.

Shackles are not load rated either unless they are stamped with a WWL, Working weight limit, or formerly a SWL safe working load.

This one has a WWL of 3.25t, which is probabley to big for most boats safety point but a 2t will fit and cost under $10

shackle.jpg

Cheers.

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

Well the most simple way is get on the dog and bone and ask them what their definition of locked to the trailer means, that way youre covered!. Get them to send you a definition. And once you have complied make sure its on your policy

Cheers twoducks