Towing On Low Profile Tyres?

sc0pe

hi guys, just wondering if anyone tows with low profile tyres, and how much weight does a boat actually put on the car, ie towball weight.

reason being, my tow vehicle is a live axle commodore ute, with 19/35/245 tyres. the tyres are not load rated to the vehicle atm, mainly due to there being nothing available in that size that is sticky, but also because in the 6 years ive had it, ive never had more then an esky and some rods in the back, therefore not utilising the "payload" that the upgraded rating (from sedan) is based upon.

now that im picking up my boat next week (4.25m bluefin tinny) im wondering which way to go.

do i figure that its not going to increase the payload essentially, except at worst 100kg towball weight, and stick with the tyres i run atm, or do i go put on tyres that arnt sticky or live with it. running stockys is an option, but due to the increased rolling diameter of the 19inch rubber, and low diff gears, cruising with stockys meens 3200 rpm at 100kmh. add in that its a 5.0l with abit of work done, it all adds up to fuel economy being beyond a joke...

any ideas?

cheers, daniel

ps, here is a pic

post-3031-1171013046_thumb.jpg

hey scope my VZ sedan got 235/45/17 and the 492f sit nicely behind it ,what sort of travel have you

got from guard to tyre,shouldnt be a problem as long as you dont put a tonne in the back of the

ute as well in the boat up front.

Craig.

Edited by Frantic

Sorry i havn't got any adivse to help you, but i will say mate thats a top lookin ute, im a ford man but she's a ripper, is it a manuel?

cheers james

thanks mate :)

its auto, albeit with a stall and kit run thru it. back in the day it was vortech blown, was great fun to drive, but these days its just used to get to and from work, with abit of fun on the way.

thanks mate :)

its auto, albeit with a stall and kit run thru it. back in the day it was vortech blown, was great fun to drive, but these days its just used to get to and from work, with abit of fun on the way.

I want one of these for my first cars they are a top ute only problem is im to lazy to start my l's, i could have the,m in 5 months if i started now.

cheers james

You can adjust the downforce on the towbar by moving the axle. It is important to have around 6 to 10% of the rig weight as downforce on the towbar otherwise swaying is likely to occur (more so with the heavier rigs). However with a standard car problems are caused by having 100kg or so weight forcing the back of the car down (uneven ride height affecting handling, breaking, tyre clearance, headlight beam etc). You then need things like pump up air shocks and/or torsion bars to fix these problems by raising the rear of the car.

With a rig the weight of yours you should get way with around 40 - 50 kg on the towbar and not need any modifications.

champ it dont matter what tyres you have, the adjustments are made on the trailer, the actual tow ball should not have on any boat being towed a downforce of more than about 70kg. If it does it can be adjusted on the trailer.

Be careful with the tyre/rim mods on commercial vehicles mate.

A mate of mine got caught out badly with non load rated rims on his VW work van, he got hit by another car and his insurence company knocked back his claim because of the rims....... even though he wasnt at fault!

Be careful with the tyre/rim mods on commercial vehicles mate.

A mate of mine got caught out badly with non load rated rims on his VW work van, he got hit by another car and his insurence company knocked back his claim because of the rims....... even though he wasnt at fault!

thanks for the headsup champ,

cheers, daniel

Edited by crazedfisherdude

• 3 weeks later...

My XR8 ute had 19's on it when I bought it. Same size tyres as yours. I broke the first rim less than a month after buying the ute when I dropped off the ashphalt at 50kmh coming out of Awoonga. Spent $400 on another rim in Gladstone. I broke that rim last week when I hit a pot hole near Tamworth. The tyres were load rated, and I ran about 38psi in them. I've now fitted genuine 17" Ford rims because I don't trust the 19's. I hove only 3 19" Avanti's now so will be fitting them to the trailer under my next 12 foot tinnie. There's no way I'd trust them under the Stratos. I now have the two most expensive Garden hose reels in my street.

post-250-1172629895_thumb.jpg