Worms Back To Normal Again!

arpie

Hi guys

Went down to One Mile at mid morning to have a go at worming again - hadn't tried since the monsters were taking me up to my elbows over the new year! Tide had just turned (rising) so it wasn't the best time to do it .... took a while to see some heads, then got about 12 'small' ones (averaging 30cm.)

Tossed them into a couple of gutters & got a real mixed bag - a throwback flattie & lots of dart, a couple of whiting (one 35cm - very nice) but no bream! Had a couple of really good hits that did not convert into a fish tho.

Then the line took off, rod bent over .......... & I thought to myself - I knew that bl..dy surf life saving rubber duckie was in too close! Plus I was on braid, which floats! Yep, I'd caught them!! It had been practising coming into the beach & out again thru the waves, when it changed direction & went straight in front of me - about 15ft out!

I was madly yahooing & doing my big 'two fingered' whistle trying to get their attention, with line peeling off & finally someone further up the beach alerted them to my dilemna! They pulled onto the beach & unwound me - I was amazed the line hadn't broken for starters - I didn't even lose my sinker & leader! Ran my fingers down the line - not even grazed! Incredible!

They went hooning off again & I made sure I was nowhere near them! When they finished their manoevures the 'main' guy on the boat came over & apologised profusely for running over my line!! I was less than complimentary as they took off the first time! Perhaps he had heard! So, that was very nice of him!

Went down the southern end of the beach & had a couple of tosses before leaving, when a guy & his son came over & asked how I'd gone worming - he'd seen me earlier. Told him I'd found a pocket further up the beach - he'd been trying for months & couldn't get them up. Gave him some basic instruction & suggested he join Fishraider & I'd send him my 'how to worm' spiel! So who knows, we may get him signed up yet!

His son had surfed that morning & ended up with a surfboard hitting his lower jaw, putting his teeth thru his lips - so had steri-strips & stitches .... no more swimming for him for a while. We chatted for a while, with my 'stink' out, hoping for a worm to put his head up, but when they didn't, I gave them the rest of my worms so they could go down this afternoon at high tide & hopefully catch a fish or two! The young bloke was quite excited. So was Dad.

The blackies have been a bit quiet the last 2 times I tried on Forster side - low tide is looking good on Sun & Mon morning, so I may give it a go then at Tuncurry again!

Off to South West Rocks on Thurs for the triathlon next weekend - will have a go at the blackies in the back creek, then frigate mackerel at the gaol when we move down there!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi ya

Yep - they were surely being very difficult in the new year! Never had them fight back so hard! I honestly have as much fun worming as I do fishing!

I must get down to the wreck & give it a go there for the whiting, too. Good worming spot, too. Those rocks near the creek (town end) are a good spot to try sps for flatties, too. SWR is a great little town - and the meals at the pub (opposite Half Moon Bay Caravan Park) are brilliant & so realistically priced!

Cheers

Roberta

are there any beaches that hold worms around sydney?

ive never seen someone worming before, although i dont go beach fishing often :1prop:

Mate I was looking at the Coastalwatch surfcams on Thursday afternoon and two guys walked down the beach at Avalon and commenced worming right in front of the camera. I didn't watch for too long so I can't say they got any but they were there so who knows.

are there any beaches that hold worms around sydney?

ive never seen someone worming before, although i dont go beach fishing often :1prop:

I've been getting plenty at Mona Vale recently (big suckers too - they take 2 hands to pull out sometimes and reach a metre in length) ... used to go to Narrabeen but the sand flats have moved since they dredged Narrabeen Lake and dumped it there. It's now too steep (not enough run off) and really hard to get them there.

Mike

Hi Davy

Definitely! At a guess, I would say that most of the northern beaches have beach worms on them eg Collaroy and North Narrabeen.

Where abouts are you? I live up the mid north coast & have my pick of about 7 worming beaches within a 10 min drive from home! How good is that??

Cheerio

Roberta