Botany Bay Wide

choteo

Report base on Saturday, 10 Feb 07 – 05:30 – 15:00

Dropped the boat into Georges River. Out onto Botany Bay in search of some live bait. The plan was to go out wide on the hunt for Dollies….

No live bait available. With a slab of frozen pillies set course to the BB wide FAD. Sea condition fantastic! You could basically water ski to NZ….!!!

On FAD arrival, found two other boats working the area. Water temp 23c. No Dollies to be found. A few small Kingies around FAD chain but were not interested in my smelly pillies…. Move to plan “B”.

Plan “B”

Outriggers go up, and the big game comes out. Set a spread of 3 lures and set course to Browns Mountain.

Within 1km East of the FAD the Port Outrigger goes off and line is screaming of the TLD30. The Tiagra 15kg is arched over…. I look out (approx 150m) and for the very first time I see a beautiful solid Black Marlin (approx guess 2m) leap out water. I scream out to skipper (Dad) It’s a f#*$ing Marlin!!! Gimbble is on, harness goes on, my adrenalin is pumping… This is my very first Marlin encounter. For me and the boat!! 3 years of waiting for this moment. Up it comes again, this time keeping half it’s body out of water, shaking it’s head side to side….telling me “NO YOU DON”T…”. And as quick as it come it was gone….leaving a splash of white wash behind… Line went slack and I’d lost it all…. This was the moment of sorrows. Could not believe what has just taken place….

I’m sure it was all over within 10sec, but it felt awesome. So with hope in mind and new excitement we rigged-up and continued on course…. We run into a few Strippies, but it just wasn’t the same….

Arrived at Brown’s to the most spectacular conditions. A good day for bottom bashing. Down go the smelly pillies and no takers… There was a few boats in the area and I did not see anyone pull anything. I noticed a film of what looked like crushed/mashed brown alggy or something on the surface. It was everywhere. Don’t now what it was….

Anyway lines come out and decide to troll West. More strip tuna but no Marlin. Stopped at both FADs on the way in and no Dollies…Head straight towards Malabar and troll the coast towards Botany Bay. There was a massive school of Stripe Tuna just of Little Bay Beach…..(70m East of the rocks).

Head inside the Bay and think “better take an eatable fish home…” So I head over to my flathead spot and within 10 min hook into this guy… I’m happy, so we go home…

Top Day. I want to do it again....

Regards,

JM

post-266-1171239545_thumb.jpg

Hey mate, unlucky on dropping the beakie! I think i saw you out at the BB wide fad, we were in the Bluefin 1/4 cab, there was another unpainted platey there at the same time... is your boat the 5.5m ish glass boat with the 115hp johnno?

Yeah, that's me. I remember you too. How did yous go?

Yeah, that's me. I remember you too. How did yous go?

We scored a mixed bag, stripies on the shelf, jackets, perch and flatties...oh... and the last dolphin fish in the whole pacific :P

there is a report in this section by crazedfisherdude on our day

Cheers

Sammy

Choteo unlucky on the Marlin however what is great to know is your rig and positioning etc works. I trolled out to the shelf for nil, I noted though a lot of Alge in the water. I got my Stripies around the Peak in the afternoon place was going off.

Now you have had the strick the bug has bitten.

BOYZ BOYZ BOYZ why the hell arent you trolling those stripies out to the shelf :(

A slow troll with the motor just in gear on 24 kg will get you some action for sure.

Where there are Striped Tuna there are Marlin :tease:

Give it a go and you will get a much better hook up rate on those little babies :yahoo:

Cheers Stewy

BOYZ BOYZ BOYZ why the hell arent you trolling those stripies out to the shelf :(

A slow troll with the motor just in gear on 24 kg will get you some action for sure.

Give it a go and you will get a much better hook up rate on those little babies :yahoo:

Cheers Stewy

Stewy, we seriously considered towing one of our stripies, but our smallest one was still about 4kg!... a bit too big to tow on 15kg

Silly fool i am....

Head straight towards Malabar and troll the coast towards Botany Bay. There was a massive school of Stripe Tuna just of Little Bay Beach…..(70m East of the rocks).

Mate how far is Little Bay beach from Botany, is it to the left or right!! I really want to catch one!! Will be out wednesday looking for one!

What about bonnies, do marlin have a liking for bonnies?

How would you troll stripies or bonnies?

DAN

Mate how far is Little Bay beach from Botany, is it to the left or right!! I really want to catch one!! Will be out wednesday looking for one!

What about bonnies, do marlin have a liking for bonnies?

How would you troll stripies or bonnies?

DAN

Stripies are one of the Marlins staple diet when they are around and you can either just go straight through the top of the mouth with a 12/0 or bridle them up with the towing point being through the eye socket.

They must be put back in as soon as you catch them and need to be trolled really slow .

We had a bit of slack line in the boat around 10 meters and hold the line in our hands.

When you feel a bump and that is usually when a beakie is billing the bait ,let all the slack into the water to give it time to swallow the bait and then gun the boat forward to set the hook.Even if it is a false hit or no hit at all you have to react just in case thier is a 100 kg Black right up the stripies clakker :1yikes:

You can troll with 15 kg but you would have your hands full if Mr Big comes along,so I would suggest 24 kg as minimum and plenty of line in reserve. A 50 wide in any of the quality Game Reels would be perfect.

Cheers Swordfisherman

Sorry for Hi Jacking you great day out Choteo and that will remain in your mind for the rest of your life.

Did your knees knock together with the rush ?? I know the first time I hooked a Marlin they wouldnt stop :074:

At least you got the weight and feel now and also a visual :yahoo::yahoo:

Wont be long and you will get your first.

Cheers Stewy

Swordfisherman,

Troll a stripie!!! I’ll need a crane…

Feeling the strength of such a magnificent creature was just awesome… An experience I’ll never forget.

Should the Dollies ever showup, we should organise a social…. Maybe even put out 5km spread out to the mountain. Then we’ll get em…

Penguin,

I believe Stripe Tuna is fair eating. Probably good for smoking (no rolling). I kept one cause dad reckons he has a Spanish recipe that will make it great… I’ll let you know… I think it make good bait…

Luringbream,

Little bay is north of Botany Bay. I estimate 1 - 2km north from the Northern head. There is some good structure along that coast line in 10 – 20m of water… It suppose to be good for Snapper and King Fish.

Regards,

JM

Edited by choteo

JM were the stripies up for long or were they up and down, or just made that one appearence? Were there birds working them or did you just happen to stumble over a free working school?

DAN

Out wide I could not see them and no signs visable. However the school I found out the front of Little Bay was working the surface hard, with plenty of bird activity in the area. The one I"m holding in the photo above is from the Little Bay school.... but he ain't little..... ;-)

Regards,

Jm