Hawkesbury River

MGibbo

SATURDAY 10 FEB 2007 ARVO.

Having only got my boat license on Monday 5.2.07 my 3 son's and hubby bravely came with me for my maiden voyage from Brooklyn almost all the way to Wiseman's. Isn't it funny how you can get your boat license without even driving a boat, what's most scary is when speed is involved. I'm sure I'll get better at it ... oops I mean more confident.

What's with all the jelly blubbers? You could almost use them as stepping stones. Is it true that it's got something to do with the king tides and will they eventually make their way back to the ocean?

Anyway, getting back to the fishing report - on our return trip to Brooklyn we decided to do a drift :1fishing1: around Bar Point (jelly blubbers and all). It didn't take long for son#2 to pull in a bream, followed by a jewfish - then it was my turn with a flathead followed by another 4 jewfish. Seeing that my hubby wasn't smiling much due to having to use his skills of unwinding tangled kids lines - he thankfully pulled in another jew and so did son#1. THE CHALLENGE WAS ON AT WHO COULD CATCH THE MOST. My youngest then surprised us with a flounder (what size is legal?) and then a squid. All in all we caught:

8 jewfish

1 flathead

2 bream

1 flounder

3 squid

+ a couple lost on the way up

Sad thing was that none of them appeared to be legal, even though a few of the jewfish and the flathead looked pretty good - they all ended up back in the river. As a friend said "It's all in the presentation" and the fact that we were using frozen prawns might have been why we didn't pull any big ones in like the one I caught last week (on a smelly two day old frozen prawn).

Even though we didn't get to take any home, we all had a ball and it was good to reassure us that there is life in the river.

P.S. I won (1 flathead, 4 jewfish) :wife:

I'm hoping that Saturday's fishing experience will encourage my boys to be keen about fishing, as I always feel I've got to sell it to them over water sports. Once that happen's I think we can get serious about our bait. I'm hoping to get my own fishing rod in March (Bday present) - hopefully good fishing reports will follow in due course.

Hi Crazy John - I've got to admit that we were pleasantly surprised to catch 8 jewfish in the one session. I'm keen to have another go with bigger hooks and bait to see if we can capture the big ones.

The fact we caught 3 squid makes me wonder if this is why the jewfish were around feeding from them OR it was pure luck I guess.

There is no legal minimum size to flounders.

Bugger - we threw it back! I'll have to get a tape measure and book on sizes to confidently be able to keep our fish. Thanks for the info re: flounder.

Hi MGibbo

well done on the :1fishing1: sceen on the h/bury

keep up the good work

see you on the water sum time

cheers robert :thumbup::thumbup:

PS keep on fishin and keep it safe

Hey Robert - are you a local on the Hawkesbury? Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you had a fun day on the water, some action is better than none. Those Jews will be a bit of fun for someone in a few years.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark - hopefully we will cross paths again (the jewfish I mean). I hope all fisherman/woman throw them back and as I mentioned the size did look pretty decent but not worth it, especially for the jewfish as you know how big they can get.

Sounds like a very productive day to me!! Plenty of action, even if a little small, and everyone got into it. Congrats on a good range of captures.

As for the bigger jew, well I'm hardly an expert as I've never caught one, but I imagine that if you got some bigger hooks and threw out the live squid whole as bait - particularly on the edges of the holes around the pylons on the Road or Rail bridge - you'd be in with a very good chance of hooking a biggun.

Nonetheless, really good to see that you're getting your family out there to enjoy our favorite sport!!

Guest Big-Banana

Sounds like a good session.

Just on legal sizes. Grab a Fisheries Sticker and anything which isn't on that doesn't have a legal size and have a bag limit of 20.

Well Done MGibbo! Hope you put the squid on a hook & threw them right back in!

Congrats on getting your licence, too. To test your speeds out, just hop in the car & drive at about 7k/hr & that will show exactly how slow the 4 knot speed really is!! Just a reasonable walking pace. 8 knots is about 15k/hr - a slow jog. These are the important speeds to know - anyone can go fast - few know how to judge the actual designated slow speeds!

Good luck on your next outing - hope you get more squid & a bit jewie!

Cheers

Roberta

Whooohooooo another lady skipper. :yahoo:

Congratulations on getting your license :thumbup:

Sounds like you had a lot of fun catching a varity of fish.

Good idea to keep the hubby busy with the kids tangles. :1prop:

We tend not to keep anything that we have to 'fish' bones out of, so we release a lot of legals.

This site is the Fisheries NSW saltwater fishbook which has a lot of info including legal sizes.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pd...ide-2006-07.pdf

You can pick up one of these books at most places that sell bait.

Good luck on your future sessions.

Okay MGibbo,

I think that you should be a little more truthful when telling stories, your kids told me that hubbie couldn't fish all that day because they couldn't pry his fingers off the railing on the boat! Something about your driving in an erratic manner or something?

How could he possibly compete against you in a fish off? :wacko:

Its one thing to drive like my wife when there is a Grace Bros sale on(and you do recall that you two have been banned from shopping together)

BUT

In a boat, one must drive cautiously so as not to cause the beer to unnecessarily froth up. Remember,Happy deckies make happy fishing :biggrin2:

Love the report Marg, We will have to have a "kids fish off " soon. And no, i'm not letting Joanne loose in my boat! (Unless i'm on land)

Love, your ever so shit stirring mate,

Stumpy

Okay MGibbo,

I think that you should be a little more truthful when telling stories, your kids told me that hubbie couldn't fish all that day because they couldn't pry his fingers off the railing on the boat! Something about your driving in an erratic manner or something?

How could he possibly compete against you in a fish off? :wacko:

Its one thing to drive like my wife when there is a Grace Bros sale on(and you do recall that you two have been banned from shopping together)

BUT

In a boat, one must drive cautiously so as not to cause the beer to unnecessarily froth up. Remember,Happy deckies make happy fishing :biggrin2:

Love the report Marg, We will have to have a "kids fish off " soon. And no, i'm not letting Joanne loose in my boat! (Unless i'm on land)

Love, your ever so shit stirring mate,

Stumpy

OH STUMPY! I've only just stop laughing :Funny-Post: - what a classic call name. Now now about my driving - I used to drive boats when I was a youngster so I know with a little practice (maybe with you hanging on behind) I'll enjoy the process of becoming a confident driver.

Also let me remind you that this is a serious fishing report and not a shopping website.

Love the challenge of a KIDS FISH OFF .... bring it on! Can't wait to post that one.

I am not worthy MASTER Stumpy!!!

Cheers Marg (MGibbo)

Edited by johnno

Whooohooooo another lady skipper. :yahoo:

Congratulations on getting your license :thumbup:

Sounds like you had a lot of fun catching a varity of fish.

Good idea to keep the hubby busy with the kids tangles. :1prop:

We tend not to keep anything that we have to 'fish' bones out of, so we release a lot of legals.

This site is the Fisheries NSW saltwater fishbook which has a lot of info including legal sizes.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pd...ide-2006-07.pdf

You can pick up one of these books at most places that sell bait.

Good luck on your future sessions.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES AND ADVICE - ALL APPRECIATED.