Wally's Wharf Info?

Nel

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here had any info on when Wally's Wharf fishes best and for what species? I live about 25 minutes from there and would love to give it a go but I feel I'd be going in blind. Does it get crowded? I would really, really appreciate any info.....

Thanks!!

If you are going to go anywhere mate go to Lilli Pilli Baths

It can get crowded but if you are there early or on a week day its very peaceful and sometimes you will find 1 or 2 other fishos to chat to.

Best times I have found is the run out tide

Either way mate, like Dolmo said, weekdays is usually best. Less boats around the place too, but just give it a go a few places around there. It's all up to you in the end though.

And Dolmo, these lillli pilli baths, ur not seriously talking bout that little wharf are ya? your talking about the rocks there too right?

Another good spot to try is great turiel bay

The enterance is via Dean St there is a little park that you walk down

with a huge set of stairs to walk down then you have the whole bay to explore

I have supplied you a little map to show where abouts the little park is.

if you wade out and fish of the sand bar it is a fairly deep drop off

it reaches 80ft deep in the middle if I remember corectlly

I have caught leather jacket round the rock walls on the right (looking seaward)

and gurnard,Bream,small school sharks and a baby Hammerhead once as well as

being smoked by something a couple of times I only fished with bait when I was last there

but I imagine sp's would work quite well there also

and as an added bonus there is rarely many people there

post-1814-1171358148_thumb.gif

hope it helps

Coollamon

Edited by coollamon

Another good spot to try is great turiel bay

The enterance is via Dean St there is a little park that you walk down

with a huge set of stairs to walk down then you have the whole bay to explore

I have supplied you a little map to show where abouts the little park is.

if you wade out and fish of the sand bar it is a fairly deep drop off

it reaches 80ft deep in the middle if I remember corectlly

I have caught leather jacket round the rock walls on the right (looking seaward)

and gurnard,Bream,small school sharks and a baby Hammerhead once as well as

being smoked by something a couple of times I only fished with bait when I was last there

but I imagine sp's would work quite well there also

and as an added bonus there is rarely many people there

post-1814-1171358148_thumb.gif

hope it helps

Coollamon

about the rockwall where is it? because on google map it looks like private resident's wharf

Sorry I forgot to add that you have to do a little mountian goating to get to the rocky area's /Ledges

from my experience the people dont mind as long as you keep to the very edge of their property

(might have changed a little since I was there last (a couple of years)

I have edited a Google map for your help

Cheers

Coollamon

post-1814-1171367112_thumb.jpg

My Relos place is in the bottom left sort of area on that map....i see people fishing the sand bar there alot and its a good area to fish actually...as previously said nice deep bay! that comes up to shallows.

Yhe the baths with the little warf is a good spot...and the right hand side off the ledge

Guest Aussie007

if u want u can also try Dolls Pt the warf behind the St Georges River Club (parking at the club) 10mins drive from lilli pilli its the warf where the two guys died a couple of months ago i landed a 79cm flat head few weeks ago lost a bigger one we have returned twice since than uncle only managed a 45-50cm flat head and cousin hooked a nice size king fish didnt have a net so it was the one that got away on frozen pilli the flatties bite early morning around the change of tide best bites are on low tide fish out past the sand bar if possable the kingy was hooked around 5-6am

report for STGR warf http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...showtopic=17827

Edited by gazza

if u want u can also try Dolls Pt the warf behind the St Georges River Club (parking at the club) 10mins drive from lilli pilli its the warf where the two guys died a couple of months ago i landed a 79cm flat head few weeks ago lost a bigger one we have returned twice since than uncle only managed a 45-50cm flat head and cousin hooked a nice size king fish didnt have a net so it was the one that got away on frozen pilli the flatties bite early morning around the change of tide best bites are on low tide fish out past the sand bar if possable the kingy was hooked around 5-6am

report for STGR warf http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...showtopic=17827

Hi Gazza and thanks. There's another place i can try. Their all good places where I can take my 7 year old son and have a chance of catching a couple of fish.

I remember growing up and going fishing with my uncles. we'd head over to Watsons Bay or to Pier 2 under the bridge and used to have so much fun. I was hooked immediately. funnily enough, all those places i used to go to are off limits to fishing now and there seems to be less and less places to fish these days. No wonder kids grow up and get into all sorts of mischief.

Once again, thanks to all..

PS Anyoine know if anything can be caught of the small jetty at Donnelly park here in Connells Point?

Nel

You can also try Grays Point. When you are at the carpark at Grays Point, head to the rocks to the right. There is a rock ledge which is quite flat there which is great for kids. If you fish on weekends, I find Saturday better with less boat traffic. Burley to get the fish active and watch as your kid pulls them in by the dozen. Flatten the barb on the hook so that the fish are not badly damaged by the hook and use a wet towel to handle the fish to preserve the slime (and for better grip).

I've taken my 2 kids there on many occassions float fishing and catch heaps of little fish and they've learnt to identify luderick, bream, tarwhine, juvenile snapper, leatherjacket, trumpeter, sand whiting, school whiting, mono and tailor all from that area. (See this discussion thread for fishing with wife and kids http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...howtopic=18002). While it's great for kids, I have not managed to get any keepers in that area. Mostly small stuff (or maybe I am not fishing right).

There are sand flats at the end of Grays Point where you can pump pink nippers at low tide - another great father / son activity.

I have taken note of the suggestions posted by other members and will give them a go as well.