Father & Son

kw367

I'm a new member and hope that I can get a little bit of help from you guys, and hopefully I can help you by posting some reports in the near future.

My 5 year old son (PJ)has become a keen fisho, which is great coz I've loved it since I was a kid. We went out on the Hawkesbury a couple of weeks ago and fished from Calabash to Jerusalem Bays, and just about all the well known spots in between. Only got 3 Catfish :thumbdown: , and a small snapper, bream and flounder.

I like to use the KISS theory (Keep It Simple Stupid), as it doesn't matter to PJ how big the fish are, as long as they're biting. I like to fish around Berowra Creek, as I generally put the boat in there, but I'm not keen on chasing the small crabs which seem to be the go there for bait (I usually use Hawkesbury Prawns or squid).

So to sum it all up, can anyone tell a place that's pretty reliable, even if they're only small, and if any other baits are better. Will the recent rain help or hinder this weekend?

PJ says thanks!

post-3557-1171396991_thumb.jpg

Edited by kw367

Big :1welcomeani: from me as well.

It's really great to hear of someone feeding their son's interest in fishing. My fishing interest kind of got up without anybody's assistance, but I reckon PJ in in for a life of great times on the water with a Dad like you!

I don't know the hawkesbury well, but I do know that if you can get closer to the mouth there is a great drift between Patonga and Juno Point. Prawns will work best, and as long as you're slowly drifting with the baits in contact with the bottom you will pick up flatties and flounder, as well as a variety of others (last time we also picked up squid and a juvenille cobia). To be honest, at this time of year, any drift along sandy bottom with hawkesbury prawns should produce results.

Good luck!

Big :1welcomeani: from me as well.

It's really great to hear of someone feeding their son's interest in fishing. My fishing interest kind of got up without anybody's assistance, but I reckon PJ in in for a life of great times on the water with a Dad like you!

I don't know the hawkesbury well, but I do know that if you can get closer to the mouth there is a great drift between Patonga and Juno Point. Prawns will work best, and as long as you're slowly drifting with the baits in contact with the bottom you will pick up flatties and flounder, as well as a variety of others (last time we also picked up squid and a juvenille cobia). To be honest, at this time of year, any drift along sandy bottom with hawkesbury prawns should produce results.

Good luck!

Thanks Mondo,

We drifted briefly off Juno last time for the small flounder and snapper, but unfortunately it gets a little too "rolly" there for PJ. I know he's not well when his lips turn the same colour as his skin! Thanx for the tips though!

Try going into Coal Candle Creek or Smiths creek and put the boat about 10m from the drop off in one of the sandy bays that are in these creeks. Then cast into the bays and the edge of the drop off on high tide, your boat will be in about 10m but you will be casting in 1-3m of water only, use peeled prawns, pilchard fillets, nippers whatever really, just make sure they are either unweighted or with just a small pea sinker.

This will get you some nice bream, flatties and some big blue swimmers :)

P.S your gonna have to hang on to your son if you get one of the thumper bream that live in these parts they are pretty big!

Try going into Coal Candle Creek or Smiths creek and put the boat about 10m from the drop off in one of the sandy bays that are in these creeks. Then cast into the bays and the edge of the drop off on high tide, your boat will be in about 10m but you will be casting in 1-3m of water only, use peeled prawns, pilchard fillets, nippers whatever really, just make sure they are either unweighted or with just a small pea sinker.

This will get you some nice bream, flatties and some big blue swimmers :)

P.S your gonna have to hang on to your son if you get one of the thumper bream that live in these parts they are pretty big!

Sounds Great Yeeros, thanks! Might give it a go on Saturday. Do you think the recent rain will have any effect?

Sounds Great Yeeros, thanks! Might give it a go on Saturday. Do you think the recent rain will have any effect?

In Cowan it should make it better as it is very deep and the salt water stayes on the bottom, if it looks really dirty just fish in about 6-10m of water and always cast toward the shore not in the middle of the creeks and you will do ok mate.

In Cowan it should make it better as it is very deep and the salt water stayes on the bottom, if it looks really dirty just fish in about 6-10m of water and always cast toward the shore not in the middle of the creeks and you will do ok mate.

Sounds good to me Yeeros, haven't been up Smiths Creek so it'll make a nice change!. Looking at the chart I can see what you mean by the water depth and dropoffs. Should suit PJ too as it will be away from the main boat traffic in Cowan!

If you want to try land based, I was at Apple Tree Bay last weekend fishing near the mouth of Apple Tree Creek with my kids. No waves or chops to worry about. Fish with a float and use bread / dough to catch mullet, bream, tarwhine or herring. Burley will help. The kids love it and can do it all by themselves. Here's my youngest (4 y.o.) with his self-caught mullet. I saw decent bream being caught there too on prawn.

post-3388-1171509192_thumb.jpg

Most of the little bays and inlets from Akuna through Smiths creek and down to Apple tree will produce plenty to keep your Son happy.

Ive never fished around Akuna or apple tree without pulling up a couple of little things.Always looking for the bigger ones though :1fishing1:

Yeeros is right, cast back towards the shore and you will have luck, Berley up and dont fish too heavy.

If you want to try land based, I was at Apple Tree Bay last weekend fishing near the mouth of Apple Tree Creek with my kids. No waves or chops to worry about. Fish with a float and use bread / dough to catch mullet, bream, tarwhine or herring. Burley will help. The kids love it and can do it all by themselves. Here's my youngest (4 y.o.) with his self-caught mullet. I saw decent bream being caught there too on prawn.

post-3388-1171509192_thumb.jpg

Great stuff, good to see those smiles on the kids faces too! Fishing is great for kids.

Most of the little bays and inlets from Akuna through Smiths creek and down to Apple tree will produce plenty to keep your Son happy.

Ive never fished around Akuna or apple tree without pulling up a couple of little things.Always looking for the bigger ones though :1fishing1:

Yeeros is right, cast back towards the shore and you will have luck, Berley up and dont fish too heavy.

PJ and I are SO there on Saturday! Next question, what's good burley to use?

Hi kw367,

In regards to Berley theres a million different recipes and methods but heres mine for what its worth..I use a mix of the packet berley pellets, bread, splash of tuna oil and then a few bits of whatever bait im using that day.Pillie heads, prawn heads, and any off cuts of fillets etc..

If im prepared il mix it all up with a bit of water until you can form it into good size balls.I just go by the size of my berley tube on the back of boat..Then il freeze a few so they last a bit longer when they go in.

Remember you dont want to feed the fish with the berley just to attract them to your area.

Il be out there with a mate on saturday aswell, il keep an eye out for ya.

Edited by strikey pete

post-3557-1171601236_thumb.jpg

Hi kw367,

In regards to Berley theres a million different recipes and methods but heres mine for what its worth..I use a mix of the packet berley pellets, bread, splash of tuna oil and then a few bits of whatever bait im using that day.Pillie heads, prawn heads, and any off cuts of fillets etc..

If im prepared il mix it all up with a bit of water until you can form it into good size balls.I just go by the size of my berley tube on the back of boat..Then il freeze a few so they last a bit longer when they go in.

Remember you dont want to feed the fish with the berley just to attract them to your area.

Il be out there with a mate on saturday aswell, il keep an eye out for ya.

No worries Strikey Pete, I'll keep an eye out for you too. I take it that's your boat? I've attached a picture of my boat also. Not really a fishing boat, but we're into waterskiing as well, so its a good allrounder. Transforms easily with the addition of a cutting board at the rear!

As for berley, I found some of "Big Jims" pellets, and in keeping with the KISS theory, and as Ray Warren says "Thut'll do mooeee!!!"

No worries kw,

Nice boat, was that you a few weeks ago at apple tree when a young bloke in a ute almost hit the boat on the ramp?

Then about 5 mins later another boat fell off the back of a trailer.

Let me know how you go, il do the same.You wont miss me, fishraider sticker on the windscreen.

It's great taking the little fellas along. My young bloke is 5.5yo & this is his 3rd summer on the water. Comes with us just about every trip.

We used to fish Cowan a bit when I lived in Sydney. Try the bay on the opposite side of the river to Cottage Pt Sea Rescue. Just off the point in about 9m of water if I remember rightly. Used to do well for the leatherjackets there. Easy to catch & nice to each. Plus with a bigger bait you'll have a chance for a jew.

I reckon its great taking the kids along and watching their skills develop.

post-194-1171678334_thumb.jpg

No worries kw,

Nice boat, was that you a few weeks ago at apple tree when a young bloke in a ute almost hit the boat on the ramp?

Then about 5 mins later another boat fell off the back of a trailer.

Let me know how you go, il do the same.You wont miss me, fishraider sticker on the windscreen.

Not me Strikey Pete, I Launch at Berowra. How'd you go today? We got zip unfortunately? Lost plenty of bait, but poor old PJ (and I) found it hard to detect the bites using light sinkers. We mucked around in Berowra Creek first, then tried Long & Yeoman's Bays, just near the drop offs. We were only really in Cowan a couple of hours as PJ's patience wore a bit thin. Will try again in a week or two though!

It's great taking the little fellas along. My young bloke is 5.5yo & this is his 3rd summer on the water. Comes with us just about every trip.

We used to fish Cowan a bit when I lived in Sydney. Try the bay on the opposite side of the river to Cottage Pt Sea Rescue. Just off the point in about 9m of water if I remember rightly. Used to do well for the leatherjackets there. Easy to catch & nice to each. Plus with a bigger bait you'll have a chance for a jew.

I reckon its great taking the kids along and watching their skills develop.

And by the looks of that photo Heath, your son is pretty skilled!

Hey Kw,

We got a mixed bag, nothing to write home about but we were catching which is the main thing.Got about 10 small snapper, biggest about 25cm.Few small Bream and Leatherjacket.Managed to Jag a Blue swimmer crab through the leg aswell, :1fishing1:

The bay opposite church point is definately worth a try, your son will get plenty of bites there and enjoy watching the sea-planes take off/land.