Lilli Pilli Baths

Guest IFishSick.

Guest IFishSick.

Got down to the warf at around 7:00am this morning to find a beautiful high tide, but with 5 fisherman already there.

They were all hammering the baitfish with large metals continuosly.

post-2529-1171683377_thumb.jpg

I decided to join in on the action with my new bought 15 and 20g Raider and Sniper metals. After half an hour, and only one bloke getting an okay Tailor I thought I'd try my turn at squidding.

The squid session lasted about an hour, but was extremely tough with the tide absolutely raging out. This made finding the bottom with the jig very difficult. All that it produced was a nice hole in my new Yo-Zuri's cloth.

post-2529-1171683162_thumb.jpg

Then I decided to try my turn at live baiting. In 5 minutes I had 3 small sweep ready for the water. Being unsuccessful using them under a float and weighted, I tried letting them swim about. This however was a big waste of time because the little buggers would just swim in and around the rocks get me snagged and then busted off :ranting2:

Throwing the metals in for one last go and really seeing no point in staying I called it quits for next week.

If you would look closely above you can spot where the baitfish are sitting at the surface.

post-2529-1171683515_thumb.jpg

Edited by IFishSick.

I went down last week fished off the wharf got there at 4.30am to get the spot by 6.30am there was another half a dozen guys fishing over the top of me almost p*ssing in my pocket. Managed to get 1 decent squid in 2 casts on a cheapy jig, then the bonitos started busting everywhere out in the channle they were going hard for about half an hour well outside casting distances.I got a few follow ups but they would not take metals or pastics i was using 10gm-60gm raiders and 3inch bass minnows, i think the were feeding on really small white baits :wacko:. Better luck next time :1fishing1:

I have found that its hard to get them at the moment from the baths as they are feeding further out and are being abit hesitant to coming over towards the channel at the moment....

I went out last night for a quick session and got one really nice 40 to 50cm tailor under dark on lure...was good fun, thas was at my relos near lilli pilli

I went and did some scouting so to speak at around 9am this morning after all the tips I'd been given by everyone on here (thx again!). I started off at the boat ramp at Grays Point but the tide was high and I couldn't see any decent spot to fish from.

I then went past Lilli Pilli baths. There were to guys and a young kid fishing there. Not much happening at that time but I can imagine how hard a place it's be to fish if more than 4 or so people turned up. may leave that for a week day morning.

After there, I decided to go check out Wally's Wharf to suss it out. It was about 10am by then and obvipously no one was fishing and there were boats lined up to go in. I assume any fishing would be done off the pontoon there?

Guys - check the post about testing zoom soft plastics on surface feeding pelagics in Botany Bay by luringbream.

I reckon metals are a thing of the past when you've got softies that better imitate fleeing baitfish. From all accounts the pelagics around at the moment are chasing very small, nearly translucent, baitfish and there are very few metals that will successfully match the hatch.

As for the hole in your yo-zuri - how frustrating!! Evidence that a squid had the lure in its mouth! Must've been difficult to feel the lure with the current ripping like it was.

Guest mickysa

Yeh i went with gio last week, the god damn bonnies were really starting to erk me watching them bust up all the bait fish...

i tried a popper to no avail, and all we caught all day was tiny bloody pinkies.

time to get the boat in the water me thinks John boy...

Mate check out my 'Pelagics on Botany Bay' post. The day before I went to port hacking and i hooked up to a heap of frigates, bonnies, tailor and salmon. All fish were caught on Zoom 'Tiny Flukes' in a Baby bass and Ark shiner colour. Get a hold of them if you want to get a hold of a dozen or so pelagics that are roaming around that wharf.

DAN

Guys - check the post about testing zoom soft plastics on surface feeding pelagics in Botany Bay by luringbream.

I reckon metals are a thing of the past when you've got softies that better imitate fleeing baitfish. From all accounts the pelagics around at the moment are chasing very small, nearly translucent, baitfish and there are very few metals that will successfully match the hatch.

As for the hole in your yo-zuri - how frustrating!! Evidence that a squid had the lure in its mouth! Must've been difficult to feel the lure with the current ripping like it was.

and a big one at that

After reading about all the activity at Lilli Pilli baths, I too decided to give it a go on Saturday 17th. Was the first one there before sunrise at 5am and set out 2 bait lines to see what was around at this time in the morning. The sun's glow was just peeping over the horizon and it was very quiet. I don't fish this early at all was enjoying the quiet serenity. I saw about 3 kayaks lingering in the area as well. A couple of guys showed up as it was beginning to get brighter and began throwing metal slugs with gusto over my lines and very close to me. Being a passive character (and with images of a fellow Raider with a slug in his eye still fresh in my mind) I took their hint and left the wharf to them. I headed to the rocks next to the wharf and threw some slugs out too as it was a lot brighter at this stage. No luck on bait and slugs and as the tide was coming in, I had to leave the rocks too.

Headed to Warumbul next where I had the old jetty to myself. Heaps of surface activity there but nothing would touch my slugs and popper. Must try Dan's Zoom soft plastics next time. Also tried squidding with my el cheapo clicking jig and caught my first cuttlefish. Lost 2 as well - did not hook up properly. The water is so clear that you can see the squid or cuttlefish grab the jig! Had some fun at least.

G'day Pmak,

Warumbul.... pardon my ignorance but isn't that in the Royal National Park somewhere?

Cheers

Nel

Nel,

The spot is the Picnic Area at the end of Warumbul Rd in the Royal National Park. If you look at any map, it's not too far from Lilli Pilli (as the crow flies) but is a bit of a drive. Lots of little snapper at the bottom but was quite active on the surface in the morning when I was there. Access is only after 7.00am I think.

Nel,

The spot is the Picnic Area at the end of Warumbul Rd in the Royal National Park. If you look at any map, it's not too far from Lilli Pilli (as the crow flies) but is a bit of a drive. Lots of little snapper at the bottom but was quite active on the surface in the morning when I was there. Access is only after 7.00am I think.

unless you have friends with a key ;)

not that I've fished there at all yet :(

Nel,

Thanks Pmak, I suppose it's worth the drive though if you're able to escape the crowds on a weekend morning..

Nel