Leatheries

joshg_888

Dont really target LJ'S mate. But I can tell you when they plague the harb an offshore over the cooler months. They r very easy to catch.

We tease them up with a bait, and then net them,,,,,, they are pretty dumb, an we have showed this method to another raider. No loss of tackle OR bait :1prop:

Get them up under the boat, put a prawn or other bait infront of your landing net and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :biggrin2: .

Should get plenty!

Dan

Hey all

Just wondering what the easiest way to catch leatherjacket is? ie. rigs, bait, hook size, tide, location etc.

i kno they have small mouths etc

and also are they good eating?

thanks alot

Josh

hi hi

as has been mentioned, they have small mouths so small hooks is required. ive had my best luck on small pieces of prawn.

Also as mentioned, they are a biitttt sslloooowwwwww aaayyyeeeeeeeeee, so they sometime will follow a bait for aslong as it is moving... all the way up to the boat as mentioned, or in my case all the way to the shore.

Where i fish for leatherjacket this happens on an almost every-cast basis. I caught one that measured up 33cm last saturday, on the run-out tide at about 11am. I fish for them down at Kurraba Pt (which is between north sydney and mosman). If you're looking at fishing there, just fish off the very right hand side, as far right as u can go as u look out to the harbour. This is where we've always had luck with LJ following our bait all the way up to the shore. Also if u want to catch some undersize snapper for fun (never caught anything bigger) u fish 4th pole of the fence from the right, cast strait outwards. It seems if u move just 1 pole to the right or left, no snapper for you.... its strange, but probably just been the luck of it though.

if i managed to confuse you, i'll draw a little map :thumbup:

seb

P.S. on a side note, this is an AWESOME spot to fish, purely cause of its entertainment factor. While fishing, there has been(not we've caught necessarily); parrot fish, eels (lots of them), heaps of LJ, bream, snapper, a fairy penguin! :thumbup::biggrin2: , ive even caught a small kingfish there(30-40cm), a few puffer fish, seen a fair few sting rays, a big ass crab, squid.... umm thats all i can remember for now. i'll have to give a rundown and do a report next time i fish here. There's always some sort of story to tell after you've been there.... even had someones dog eat one of my frozen bait squids once! :074::074: Wouldnt want to be that dogs owner when it came out the other end... :tease::1prop:

I found the best rig that works for me is a paternoster rig with size 10 or 12 long shank hooks. They like hanging around structures and like swordfisherman said strike when you feel a little pull. I usually fish for leatherjackets at Greenwhich pt in north sydney on the wharf there.

They are very good eating and they have big bones but they will need to be skinned before you cook them.

Thanks to everyone that helped.. appreciate it

What is the legal size for Leather Jackets?

and also is there any certain way to handle them?

thanks

Josh

there is no legal size for leather jackets. I really only keep the ones over 20cm cos theres not much meat on the smaller ones as they have such big heads.

When holding them, stay clear of the horn on its head and try to hold it by the belly and keeps your fingers away from their sharp teeth.

to clean them

cut a deep slit behind the spike then take a firm grip on the head and bend it down

the head should come away from the body and take most of the skin with it

if youv done it right

then peel off the remaining skin and you are left with some mighty fine white flesh

Edited by CaineS