Lures In General

DaveD

Ok I've had no luck with lures in general seriously I've tried hard minnow lure and an assorted variety of soft plastics, all different sizes which I bought in the pack.

The minnow lure looks very nice :1prop:

..problems are though..I'm yet to catch anything on EITHER !!!! :mad3:

I've tried switching lures and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If its the set up of the line, sinker and swivel, if I'm reeling it in too fast or slow or what exactly. In the end I just go back to using whatever bait we have around and forget bout the lures for the rest of the day.

Any help is appreciated if possible.

Ok some thing you might want to check up with first is your gear.

Im not sure what tackel shop you go to but im sure what ill write hear for you might need to be giving to the guys at the shop.

First id get a graphite rod over a glass tip rod better casting distance and more feel and alot lighter, also a reel around 1500 to 2500 size would be great, it just depends on what fish your going for.

Next id put some fireline or any other braided line 4lb to 6lb if your going for estury fish, dont forget to add some backing on the reel before adding the braid, stops the braid from slipping.

Then comes the leader(THE LINE FROM YOUR BRAID TO YOUR JIGHEAD) which is attached with a double uni or any other line to line knot...no swivel or sinker is needed at all, reason being the jighead for the plastic's have a weight already built in.

I hope this helps, but if your still not really certain id go to a tackle shop that has staff who fish with plastics to show you the right way to get you on your way. Good luck :thumbup:

Thanks for that :)

So no sinker or swivel is required at all...think that might be my problem. I've adjusted it just like I would any other ordinary line. Does it really have enough weight on the lure to get a good casting distance though?

Good advice guys,

being a recent newby as well i fully understand your frustration.

Some things i have picked up are 1) fish as light as possible, that means both your reels, rods and lines BUT also jigheads. Since changing to 4lb leaders and 1/32 jigs heads my success has improved out of sight. 2) Perserverance rather than patience, that means dont sit in the one spot flogging the area to a froth. Move around, change lure and retrieve. 3) Fish structure, marinas, pylons, even canals are prime real estate (bream especially).

From a fellow beginner, just keep plugging away, there in no substitute for practice

Grant

Ok I've had no luck with lures in general seriously I've tried hard minnow lure and an assorted variety of soft plastics, all different sizes which I bought in the pack.

I've tried switching lures and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If its the set up of the line, sinker and swivel, if I'm reeling it in too fast or slow or what exactly. In the end I just go back to using whatever bait we have around and forget bout the lures for the rest of the day.

what type of lures and SP are you using

Thanks for that :)

So no sinker or swivel is required at all...think that might be my problem. I've adjusted it just like I would any other ordinary line. Does it really have enough weight on the lure to get a good casting distance though?

Just to add to what i said earlier, you may want to do a few things that will help no end.

First im sure fishraider have social day...go to one or 2 and see what the other guys are doing and how they use there gear.

Also your not far away from Iron Cove if you get the chance id go down there and have a fish, all the guys ive taken there to learn how to use plastics have always managed lizards and bream there.

Then once you get better your off on your own to fish closer or different waterways.

Good luck :1fishing1:

I'd also recommend getting your hands on "Squidgy Secrets" DVD part 1 and 2 from either WATTOS or Fishfinder. All the basics to SP fishing is explained on the DVD.

While you're at the shop, you might as well get some fireline or braid and some jigheads and some SPs that have been proven to work on your target species. I'm sure the guys at either shop can help you out.

But be warned, once your hooked, you're hooked REAL good!

Good luck.

Edited by royboy

Hey mate,

The main mistake first time lure users make is not targeting the fish properly and just sit there all day casting there lure out into the water version of a desert...First of all you need to find structure such as weed beds, sand banks, drop offs, trees hanging over the water, logs, jetty's etc. You need to know where the fish are before you start throwing lures other wise your wasting your time, then you have to choose the appropriate lure for the occasion for example if there is trees hanging over the water and you can hear cicada's everywhere you would choose to use a cicade bubble pop or something that resembles a cicada, notice and take in the enviroment around you before you choose the lure colour. Have a range of different depth, colours, swimming action and sized lures in your tackle box so you have always got something that suits the environment your fishing in. Another mistake is use a too agresive lure action, When your fishing the hardbodies make sure you let it rise for a few second between switches to allow the fish to have a crack at it, most bream ill be to timid to smash a lure flying through the water at speed, just a couple of gentle switches and let it rise...The ecogear SX40 lure packets have a pretty good explaination of the lure action you should be using. Casting technique is another big thing as well...make sure your landing that lure right on the snag, give it one or 2 gentle switches within 1 metre of the snag it where you will usually get hit.

1. Select your species you wish to taget

2. understand the envirnment your fishing in.

3. figure out where the fish would be.

4. select your lure

my tips are for targetting bream/bass,

cheers

Joe

I've got a few different types of Sp's. One of em was a pack of about 10 all varied sizes and all, the others were a few I received with my tackle box which I'm yet to try.

I'll try to get the name of the hard minnow lure tomorrow when I get the chance.

Where abouts is Iron Cove?

Thanks for all the suggestions too, all of em are developing my understanding.

Also wanted to ask how do you know which colour or type of lure as such to use in certain waters or for certain fish?

Edited by AmateurDave

• 1 month later...

try watching the videos put out by berkley or squidgie, the berkely one in particular is really good..its no use buying new gear if you dont know how to use it.get the basics sorted and buy new gear when you have enough knowledge to buy the right thing.also ,if you do buy a new combo,buy one specific to the fishing you are doing.(the 1500-2500 size reel snag recomends wont be much good for kings of the rocks for example)

All above is great advice :thumbup:

One thing that really helped me as well as watching the squidgy and AFC videos was two books Bushy and Starlo have put out.

First one 'On soft plastics' was absoloutly vital to realy smack those bream :thumbup:

Second one 'How to catch Bream on lures and Flies' also excellent book. :yahoo:

They are available online at AFN.com

One tip above all tips when fishing for bream is 'PAUSE YOUR LURE' ei. stop your retreive!!, this is when most bream that have been following your lure will eat it!!! :biggrin2:

Cheers

BM

I've got a few different types of Sp's. One of em was a pack of about 10 all varied sizes and all, the others were a few I received with my tackle box which I'm yet to try.

I'll try to get the name of the hard minnow lure tomorrow when I get the chance.

Where abouts is Iron Cove?

Thanks for all the suggestions too, all of em are developing my understanding.

Also wanted to ask how do you know which colour or type of lure as such to use in certain waters or for certain fish?

Iron cove is on the parra river, not far from Five dock.

the bekley soft plastic dvd with Adam 'mad dog' Royter is the best.

he goes through everything you need to know step by step, so you dont miss a thing. :thumbup::thumbup:

I have Berkley Soft Plastics, Squidgies 1,2 and 4 and I have found that the Squidgies 1&2 on the same dvd are the most helpful out there. Adam Royter is a good fisherman but gets a tad irritating still he catches some beaut fish!

Squidgies 4 is useless pretty much just don't buy that.

Becareful with the DVD's the berkley comes in a pack for $40 with a tackle box and some good plastics and jigheads as well as the braid scissors and the DVD. Same with the squidgies DVD's DO NOT buy the dvd's on their own as they come with a tackle for the same price at a lot of shops. I made that mistake with the Berkley one and bought it off the net for $8 cheaper then the pack thats worth atleast another $20 or so.

I didn't make the same mistake with the squidgies DVD though.

I have had more success on SP's for flathead then I have with hard bodies and bait combined it just suits my style of fishing.

Watch those DVD's get their tackle pack take their advice and you WILL catch fish if they are there!