Narrabeen Saturday 25/02/07

blue swimmer

Fished today with wife and friends, non stop bait changing, some just keeper flatties on live poddies and some keeper bream on live nippers, (thanks Pete) also 1 keeper whiting and heaps of small bream, just worthwhile for the day, but nice day on the water ......... motor needs a service, any suggestions.

Just one question though, anyone have any tips on keeping nippers on the hook???

They seem to be nipped off as soon as they hit the water........just by little whiting and bream it seems..#

Is there a type of rig that stops the bite offs or is it just one of those things that we fisho's have to deal with....

any suggestions would greatly help....#

Cheers,

Blueswimmer

i notice that when you get a little tap and you strike and not hook fish you always loose the nipper!

but if you dont strike you keep whats left on the hook! giving more time for something bigger to wonder over!

so i try to resist striking until i feel a bit of weight on the line!

when i take my freinds out i usually tell them if a decent fish takes the bait hell hook himself!

but yeah they do come off the hook pretty easy.

Edited by wildfish

hi blue swimmer, sounds like a nice days :1fishing1: in the lake. as for the pickers stealing your nippers :1badmood: well i dont think theres much you can do except try a hardier bait like squid etc.its a pain especially when you have spent hard earned time pulling beachworms , nippers etc only to have them smashed by little pickers before the choice fish get a go.. was that you guys in the boat near the cricket nets,if so how did the guy in the waders go next to the creek.. i was tempted to stop as i drove past and have a flick but had to get kids to swimming lessons.. are you putting the nippers on hook correctly ?? dont strike real hard as that will make the hook pull out of nipper if you miss the bite also..

Edited by roosterman

G'day,

I use a bait holder hook sometimes (you can get long shank as well) they have small bards on the shank. Feed the nipper on tail first, then when he's on all the way to the eye do 2 back loops of line around the tail and shank of the hook. This "ties" the tail to the hook and sometimes holds as least the tail section in place for the "keepers" to take.

D24G-FlSnellBaitHolderHook.jpg

Fished today with wife and friends, non stop bait changing, some just keeper flatties on live poddies and some keeper bream on live nippers, (thanks Pete) also 1 keeper whiting and heaps of small bream, just worthwhile for the day, but nice day on the water ......... motor needs a service, any suggestions.

Just one question though, anyone have any tips on keeping nippers on the hook???

They seem to be nipped off as soon as they hit the water........just by little whiting and bream it seems..#

Is there a type of rig that stops the bite offs or is it just one of those things that we fisho's have to deal with....

any suggestions would greatly help....#

Cheers,

Blueswimmer

Hi BlueSwimmer..Glad you got a few fish even if they weren't the monsters. I agree with impulse regarding holding nippers on the hook..his method seems the best I've seen. One point though...don't put the hook all the way through the head as this will kill the nipper pronto...just thread it from the end of the tail first and have the point of the hook come out just before the carapice or body of the nipper.

Glad also that you managed to gather some nippers locally.

Where did you fish? Down by the boat ramp in the channel?

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Thanks guys for all the tips on the nippers, thinking back, the larger fish caught on the nippers did hook themselves and the ones I missed I think I struck too early. I was putting them on as Pete/Impulse/Flattieman suggested and half hitching tail.

I did try putting them on like a dead prawn (all the way to the head) and although they died instantly they were hit just as quick. I reckon I pumped about 20 nippers and not one of them lasted for more than a minute, no exaggeration....

Roosterman, I was with wife and friends during day and another raider (Charmo) in the evening and we spent all day on the southern sandbank opposite the small cement boat ramp near the cricket oval. We were in the silver quinny explorer (we didn't go far because the motor wasn't pumping any water so we just anchored, fished and went back across at the end of the day)

need to get that fixed urgently to get out on the water again....

rod

Thanks guys for all the tips on the nippers, thinking back, the larger fish caught on the nippers did hook themselves and the ones I missed I think I struck too early. I was putting them on as Pete/Impulse/Flattieman suggested and half hitching tail.

I did try putting them on like a dead prawn (all the way to the head) and although they died instantly they were hit just as quick. I reckon I pumped about 20 nippers and not one of them lasted for more than a minute, no exaggeration....

Roosterman, I was with wife and friends during day and another raider (Charmo) in the evening and we spent all day on the southern sandbank opposite the small cement boat ramp near the cricket oval. We were in the silver quinny explorer (we didn't go far because the motor wasn't pumping any water so we just anchored, fished and went back across at the end of the day)

need to get that fixed urgently to get out on the water again....

rod

Good stuff Rod. How many fish did you end up with in the end? Any size to 'em?

Cheers,

Pete.