Fishing Terminology

majed1965

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance, but i am new to the boating and fishing world and am not familiar with the terminolgy used for the fish and baits.

Can anyone provide me with the meaning of some of the acronyms used in boating and fishing?

Eg. Yakkas? What are they and how do you catch them for bait?

Thanks.

Mate yakkas, i have known them as either yakkas or yellowtail, bung, scad.

The humble "yakka" can be burlyed up by using a mixture of catfood, bread, corn, tuna oil, old fish peices around structure like rock walls, jettys/peirs over shallow reef etc

The yakka can be used as a live bait for larger predators such as flathead, jewfish, kingfish, dolphinfish, tuna, marlin and various other species.

Yakkas can be caught once burlyed up to the boat using small hooks, minimal sinker on either hand lines or light rods.

They can also be caught using a 6 hook rig system where each hook has a tiny bead and peice of plastic to attract them.

Good baits to use on yakkas includes small peices of prawn, pilchard, whitebait, small peices of squid is top bait for catching them s it stays on the hook longer and yakkas have a tendancy to make light work of baits.

Good luck in the fishing, hope this information helps.

cheers james

I will try and list a few for you that you will see on this forum

Yakka - Yellowtail

YFT - Yellowfin Tuna

Beakie/Billie - Marlin

Jewie - Mulloway

Sambo - Australian Salmon

Chopper - Tailor

Dollie - Dolphin Fish/Mahi Mahi

Bonnie - Bonito

Stripey - Striped Tuna, On occasions people use stripey for striped marlin

Thats all i can think of at the moment but im sure other members will add to the list

:1welcomeani:

Here is my list...hope its not too basic for you.

Rat - Small King Fish

Hoodlum - Large King fish

Bull - large dolphin fish

Soapie - small Jew fish

Lizard - Flathead

Croc - very large flathead

chopper - tailor

Mowie - Morwong, some people also call deep sea bream.

Mono - standard fishing line

Braid - Strong braided fishing line, no memory, thinner, stronger and more feel than mono but not as abrasive resistant.

Livie - live smaller fish used to catch larger fish. usually put on a live bait rig with two hooks, one through the nose and one through the back and either trolled with a down rigger or suspended under a float or ballon.

Bait caster - Overhead casting reel.

Spinning reel - egg beater style reel.

Jigging - using a jig style lure, drop it down to your desired depth and use a jigging action to bring it back to the surface (hopefully with a large fish on it)

bomb - large sinker used for down rigging

Down rigging - a winch style device attched to your boat, it has a large sinker on the bottom, it has a clip on it which attches to your fishing line. you use the device to keep your bait at your desired depth when trolling, when the fish grabs your bait and gets hooked, your fishing line becomes unclipped from the downrigger.

Trolling - Driving along at a slow speed with lures or down riggers.

Cheers

Joe