Transducer Mounting - Please Help

Mik

Hey Raiders

Asking for some help re: Mounting a transducer for my new Humminbird 787c2X Combo. (Can't wait) :biggrin2:

Here are some pics of my boats transom. As you can see I have an old transducer on the port side (Which I'm told is wrong place anyways) and a speedo thingie on the starboard (Removed for pics) The speedo is going anyway as its broken & new sounder has GSP with speed reading anyway.

post-3284-1172654877_thumb.jpg

I was thinking the best palce would be here (Shown in next pic) but I'm not too sure if its too close to the strake. I was told that I should get it as far away from outside edge of strake as possible. Is this ok?

post-3284-1172655029_thumb.jpg

If not my only other option is further outside. Am I getting too far toward the outside starboard side here?

post-3284-1172655083_thumb.jpg

Sorry if I sound padantic but I really don't want to get this wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS - The new sounders prolly worth more than the boat! :074::074::074:

Edited by Boofhead

Doh, too late reely. I guess we'll see soon enough. Just waiting (Very impatiently) for the actual sounder to arrive, hopefully this week.

Here's the final mounting pics.

post-3284-1172662744_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1172662755_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your opinions folks. Now please put your hands together in prayer & repeat after me.....

"Lord he's tryin' hard, may the holes in his transom stay dry. Yes we know Lord, he does wreck your head, but he's trying...very trying. Amen."

Mate i did alot of research on this subject when i purchased my sounder.

Where the speedo used to be will be perfect, The second pic is right in line with the Skid which is a big no no, never put a transducer in line with a Skid or roller as over time the boat will have an imprint which can then cause uneven water to come through.

Trsut me and go with your first pic location, Definately ignore the second pic needless of what people have said.

And never put a sounder on the side it was on originally as the prop wash comes up on that side and goes down on the other....when it goes down it means the wash is away from your transducer not coming up to your transducer,I would have thought Reely would have known this......

ADDED LATER

Just Saw the new Pics....perfect location...you may just have to drop it a bit to get a good read at speed

Edited by netic

Your right Oz, i did not see it was directly in line with the Roller/Skid, i would however have put it on that side of the bung, ive been on boats that have had it that close to the engine and still caused interference, that is why i suggested it. Let us know how it goes.

Netic

Thanks for that. I too didn't want it in line with the skid, but that was gut feeling not because I knew what I was thinking was correct. :biggrin2:

There is loads of adjustment both up & down (Particularly down) so I think the fine tuning should go pretty well. I'll just drop it down in increments if the data gets screwy at speed.

I ran the cable all the way over to starboard before I entered the hull so it now lines up perfectly with the side pocket & I can easily run it to the unit once its fitted.

Dammit, I just wanna get the whole thing fitted & get on a bit of water with some depth to it so I can have a play. Oh well, I have to go away for 5 days to Lake Cargelligo on Friday so I guess my next chance will be the following week.

Thanks again for your help & comments AO7474, james1990, vision21, Reely & Netic

:thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by Boofhead

Hey Raiders

Asking for some help re: Mounting a transducer for my new Humminbird 787c2X Combo. (Can't wait) :biggrin2:

Here are some pics of my boats transom. As you can see I have an old transducer on the port side (Which I'm told is wrong place anyways) and a speedo thingie on the starboard (Removed for pics) The speedo is going anyway as its broken & new sounder has GSP with speed reading anyway.

post-3284-1172654877_thumb.jpg

I was thinking the best palce would be here (Shown in next pic) but I'm not too sure if its too close to the strake. I was told that I should get it as far away from outside edge of strake as possible. Is this ok?

post-3284-1172655029_thumb.jpg

If not my only other option is further outside. Am I getting too far toward the outside starboard side here?

post-3284-1172655083_thumb.jpg

Mick

The only other thing I would have done is to mount the tranducer on a poly block (like the kitchen cutting boards) with a heap of silastic underneath. A single screw in the block will help hold the block whilst the silastic goes off.

The reason being is that you can screw and unscrew the tranducer into the poly and move it up and down if you find the position is not quite right. I hate putting holes/screws in positions that under water in transoms.

The other thing is that if you make the block bigger you can add say a live tank inlet or water temp etc without ever having to drill another screw in the bottom of the boat.

Maybe its just me but when i installed my transducer I put it on an alloy slide that went up and down because I feared ripping it off when i ran the boat up the beach at places like long reef. Maybe you guys don't do that sort of thing though.

davo

Davo

The new mount has a clip lock which will release if you get a reasonable knock. It basically allows the tranducer to pivot right up to 90 degrees or more. I think this would be just as effective as your idea. I did notice on the older transducer mount (At least 15 years old LOL) that it doesn;t have the same release so perhaps people with older mount types could make use of your slide thing.