Transporting Livies

skramp_84

I don't normally take my livies in the car, we catch them out there but an idea might be to

Get 3 or 4 BIG buckets with lids and split your catch up into the buckets evenly depending on how many livies you have.

The more livies you have in the 1 tank the quicker the oxygen supplie in the water will diminish.

Maybe someone else can answer thisown, but is there a way you can use the ca battery to wire up and airator?

cheerrs james

Best method is to buy one of those small AAA battery powered aerators you can purchase at most tackle shops and put the livies in a

25 litre lidded bucket (like the ones you get paint in).

They'll stay alive for quite some time with aeration...certainly enough for a short car trip.

Another good idea is to strap the bucket into a seat belt to stop it tipping over during the journey.

Don't forget to change the water as soon as you get to your destination and keep the aerator on all the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pete.

I just remember i think it is supercheap auto has a portable livebait tank with an airator, iv seen them at a few other places to, reccomended for beach fisherman it said.

I think it was a tank made by gladiator fishing gear, if i see anything i will give you a yell.

cheers james

It depends where they want to go.

If they just want to go down to McDonalds I'll strap the squid into the baby seat and pour

the livies into the centre console. That way I dont get fined for unsecured passengers...

On a longer trip I'd put them into eskys - Its the raising water temp that really depletes the oxygen

and fish cant handle a rapid change in temp the combination of the two really shortens their lifespan

in a bucket.

at night it wouldnt be a problem, but on a warm day fish in the boot would die pretty quick.

On the boat I made my livebait tank out of an old esky - I can leave 15 Yakkas in there for

an hour or longer without turning the pump on as the water is staying constant temp

So I'd recommend transporting them in an esky

Jason

Cheers. They dont have to go too far, usually just a short trip from Balmain area over the bridge to middle harbour area, say 20 minutes. Ill check out that supercheap gizmo. Otherwise ill just buy a little pump from Freddy's.

Best method is to buy one of those small AAA battery powered aerators you can purchase at most tackle shops and put the livies in a

25 litre lidded bucket (like the ones you get paint in).

They'll stay alive for quite some time with aeration...certainly enough for a short car trip.

Another good idea is to strap the bucket into a seat belt to stop it tipping over during the journey.

Don't forget to change the water as soon as you get to your destination and keep the aerator on all the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pete.

i do simmilar to what pete has suggested, i have a large bucket and have this beaut air pump that takes 2 x d cell batteries and also connects to cigarette lighter.bucket just fits on front passenger floor but need to drive carefully so as not to spill water or swish the fish about. i have been known to get bored and duck down and grab some lives [only 5 min from home]of an evening to use the following day or even night to save time so i dont have to pull up chasing them,just straight to spot and hopefully a nice jew or 2.yakkas are very hardy but my squid dont fair as well so i try to alway get fresh livie squid on the day.. ill have to get a lid for that bucket one day,just tempting fate i think,i can just see it car pulls in front of me ,i hit the anchors and livies swimming on soaking wet floor of car....

I got one of those big mayonaise buckets with a tight fitting lid on it and i put a small hole in it just big enough for the hose to go threw. I then made a clip for the aeroator on the side of the bucket (out of the way of the handle). That way no matter how bumpy the drive you get no leakage all.

Ohh and as long as you don't overload the bucket you can keep about 15 x 10-15cm size yakkas alive all day as long as you don't pollute the water.

I'll go take some pics of my bucket set up, it'll give me an excuse to install the software to get the pics from my phone to the computer. I'm very proud of my bucket, i also rigged up a measuring tape on the outside of the bucket that i can whip off and measure fish.