Rapala Braid

Guest IFishSick.

Guest IFishSick.

I bought a 300m spool of Rapala braid last week in 10lb. Came in a lovely blue colour which is awsome low-visibility in the water for the fish.

After setting the drag I noticed the top layer of line was a lot whiter than the rest. Thought nothing of it and away I go today.

After one measly fishing session, I've gone from bright blue to white line. I looks like s***.

Does this happen to all lines other than FINS? That's what I'm going to swap it for, not getting sucked in by the tackle shop owners again to buying a shitty line.

post-2529-1172897641_thumb.jpg

To this

post-2529-1172897623_thumb.jpg

Edited by IFishSick.

Guest IFishSick.

It's just not the top layer for me though mate.

I took 50m of line off to take the photo of the line where it was blue because that is where the cast ends.

Hi guys

I buy jarvis walker braid from ***** not only is it cheaper i find it to be better than any other braid i have used, i have 3 reels with J.W braid and none of them have gone white, and the lines more than a year old and it is really tough to, not very abrazive, 25bucls for a spool or 300 mteres at ***** guys, i reccomend you try it.

cheers james

take it back, its not cheap stuff and not what you paid for.

I bet the seller does not even know it does this,I really dont think braid is as good as its made out to be,I have it on a few reels for salt water, diffrent brands and they all fraid and fadeed after only using them a few times ,and I think can I still trust the strangth.

Great for fresh water I havnt had a prob ,well I havnt had a prob in salt water but the way it looks.

Maybe some one can tell us why it does this and should it do it and what it should look like when it has seen its used by date.

Similar experience happend to me with some Yellow 8lb. Fireline.

Had used it a couple a times prior to a wind gust which blew all this yellow powder off the spool and onto me!!!!

NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!!

Take it back to the shop you bought it from, they will give you a new one.

It's not the first time ive seen that, even before rapala bought out the company they had problems aswell when the line was squidgy braid.

Somethimes you get a bad batch thats all. :05: if you can swap it for the new crystal braid from Fireline thats what i did.

ETTY

WHAT THE ?

what did u do

take it back or what

\

Hey,

The line is still on the reel and never really had the urge to take it back as I don't usually use the reel.

Bought some more Fireline recently (yet to use) and if the same thing occurs I really kick up a stink!!!!

I use fins for some 10lb or less line and it has changed colour after a few sessions where the drag has worked hard with frigates and some small GTs....But it doesnt really matter if it changes colour anyway as long as the knot strength stays the same, and you generally have some sort of leader whether its mono or flurocarbon. With 2m of fluro, doesnt matter what colour the braid. I think its just the way the material is coloured and yes, after some scorching runs it will lose some colour.

The problem with braid is that not many dyes will adhere to ployethelene for very long due to its non-absorbing properties and all dyes are just a top coat as raw polyethelene is white.

I've not long loaded my jig reels with Sufix Herculine and YGK Jigman X and whilst spooling up I had dye on my hands from handling the stuff as well as the guides having a coating of dye build up as the line ran through the dry runners and these are silicon runners, though whilst fishing it was minimal. I have also had the problem with Berkley Fireline, Spiderwire and a couple of others.

So mate, I wouldn't get too worked up about it and it doesn't matter what you pay for it it will happen to the best of them, just as long as it doesn't loose its breaking strength, which I haven't found anyway.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by IanC