Southcoast Pelagics

Hi Raiders,

More fish from the south coast on plastics from the rocks and beach.

Water temps were down some what but once you locate a pelagic they usually are not too fussy.

Thought i would give the slick rigs a go in 100mm size and after my third cast in this particular spot came up tight on this monster tailor :1yikes: He fought like hell and tasted pretty good as well :thumbup:

He went 55cm definetly the biggest tailor i have caught (and I am from QLD) :yahoo:

post-2475-1172979249_thumb.jpg

A couple of days later went exploring on Green Island with a bream stick :wacko:

Found a good ledge and starting casting plastics literally into the swell. 3' BM/s in pearl blue were dynamite on a school of salmon, however they kept thowing the hooks shortly after hookup :thumbdown:

Finally after loosing four solid fish the hook stays in this one :biggrin2: and after a long fight i have my first salmon :thumbup: stoked , jeese they fight hard and never give up, he went 50cm

post-2475-1172979278_thumb.jpg

apparently they don't taste that good, so he lived to fight another day.

Cheers

BM

NICE tailor there, mate! :thumbup::yahoo: I've been toying with the idea of using plastics in the surf for a while - I think it's time I gave it a go! The slick rigs look good, too.

Flattieman.

Don't just toy with the idea mate go and smack a few!!! :thumbup:

I always liked the look of the slick rigs (in true bue and drop bear) and it did not take much effort to nail that thumping tailor. I just recon plastics give you more options with retrieves and depths ect. as well as being better looking than a ganged pillie :074:

BM

I always liked the look of the slick rigs (in true bue and drop bear) and it did not take much effort to nail that thumping tailor. I just recon plastics give you more options with retrieves and depths ect. as well as being better looking than a ganged pillie :074:

:biggrin2: Yeah - I've tried once using a flickbait on a dropper under a ganged pillie (pater noster rig) and there were tooth marks in it once I brought it in - I'll definitely be trying that again.

Flattieman.

Hi Raiders,

More fish from the south coast on plastics from the rocks and beach.

Water temps were down some what but once you locate a pelagic they usually are not too fussy.

Thought i would give the slick rigs a go in 100mm size and after my third cast in this particular spot came up tight on this monster tailor :1yikes: He fought like hell and tasted pretty good as well :thumbup:

He went 55cm definetly the biggest tailor i have caught (and I am from QLD) :yahoo:

post-2475-1172979249_thumb.jpg

A couple of days later went exploring on Green Island with a bream stick :wacko:

Found a good ledge and starting casting plastics literally into the swell. 3' BM/s in pearl blue were dynamite on a school of salmon, however they kept thowing the hooks shortly after hookup :thumbdown:

Finally after loosing four solid fish the hook stays in this one :biggrin2: and after a long fight i have my first salmon :thumbup: stoked , jeese they fight hard and never give up, he went 50cm

post-2475-1172979278_thumb.jpg

apparently they don't taste that good, so he lived to fight another day.

Cheers

BM

[/quocan you put a clear pic of the lure you used to catch the tailor as i go to swansea every now and then and thought i might give it a go up there

Guest IFishSick.

I'd love to get onto some decent Tailor and Salmon like those two. Only ever got one Salmon about the same size but off the beach. Got a jump out of him which was awsome.

Slick rigs off the rocks eh? Might give em a try.

I'd love to get onto some decent Tailor and Salmon like those two. Only ever got one Salmon about the same size but off the beach. Got a jump out of him which was awsome.

Mate, my best advice on catching tailor and sambos would be to wait until you hear of good catches from the beach, head down to your closest beach (I've fished Greenhills/Cronulla for good results) with a block of pillies and cast them into a good gutter or rip - it's often that simple. That's how I do it anyway.

Flattieman.

Guest IFishSick.

That is where I used to fish, couple years ago now. But was good at getting the old Whiting with beach worms.

Yeah whole pillies would have been a good option, but wasn't really fussed as there was no fishraider back then and couldn't be bothered looking up if Salmon were around.

Just whatever took the bait really. Tactics have changed now though, trying to get Frigates but failing miserably.

Just whatever took the bait really. Tactics have changed now though, trying to get Frigates but failing miserably.

You'll get one soon, mate - persistence pays off! I'm yet to target them, but I'm going to give it a go soon. I went squidding for an hour at Wally's Wharf on Friday - got one nice squid and lost a biggun (shed his candle shortly after hook-up) - I was hoping that I'd bump into a few frigates there, but it was too windy to see anything feeding. Well done on 500 posts!

Flattieman.

Well done!

I head down around Tathra every winter to catch Salmon on bream gear off the beach, a lot of fun.

Broke a rod last year throwing a lure that was too heavy for the rod. So be careful! 3" Bass Minnows on 1/8 head, Perfect.

I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howard.

Well done!

I head down around Tathra every winter to catch Salmon on bream gear off the beach, a lot of fun.

Broke a rod last year throwing a lure that was too heavy for the rod. So be careful! 3" Bass Minnows on 1/8 head, Perfect.

I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howard.

Yeh, that is pretty much what i used for the salmon a 3" Bass Minnow in pearl blue on a 3grm #1 jig,

post-2475-1173300643_thumb.jpg second from the top

got to remember not to flatten the barbs, as the sambo's kept throwing the hooks, do you have the same problem?

seems like i lost 4 good fish before the hooks held.

BM