King Fish Tales

namesay

Dan- the kings are hitting EVERYTHING!

As I have posted it is a lucky dip as the big guys are schooling with the smaller guys. These fish are hitting small strips as well as large whole squid.

Lately I have caught fish in the 90cm class on just a couple of tentacles!

By the way Jewnut, that tow vehicle is a loaner. My car STILL hasn't got its tow bar. Cheers Kelvin

Hey Kelvin do you find the big fish are around when the Kings are schooling chopping up the baitfish on the surface or do you find the hoods tend to lurk closer to the bottom by the reefs? I catch most of mine with baits under floats because I don't have a downrigger and i'm yet to crack the 70cm mark so i'm just curious.

Cheers,

Mark

The kings schooling on the surface are small fish. I have yet to catch a BIG fish chopping on the surface IN THE HARBOUR. Have taken fish up to 85cm offshore chopping on the surface but not in the harbour. Normally they are slightly undersized fish to about 75cm when on the surface.

My mate Jack ( wacko ) has taken fish to about a meter on sluggos cast to surface feeding fish outside the heads but I haven't got a fish anywhere near that size on lures. Jack fishes really light...he is a bream lure fisho after all and I constantly tease him about his spider web gear. But he and Peter get a LOT of fish on the light stuff.

The bigger guys normally hang slightly deeper and the really BIG hoods are very lazy and wait for the food to come to them and of course when you are the biggest guy in town, you get to stay in the choicest place. WIth the hoods that means areas where there are heaps of structure to break your lines on! CHeers kelvin

Kantong, I use floats ALL the time so yes I have been getting them on floats. It is a great way to have several lines out without having tangles as you can just cast out the float and just watch it from time to time.

SOme guys like balloons but I like the floats. Seems like the old blackfishing habits are hard to break! Cheers Kelvin

they just keep coming.

well done kelvin and thanks for the detailed reports throughout.

just a quick question for all, we went fishing last week twice and got dusted twice by 2 kingies.

is there a good way to fight them, i know that it always doesnt work but is there a standard way you think they have to be fought.

Edited by frankp

There are only 2 ways I know

1) Stop them or pop them

2) Softly softly

I like the first method. Either you win or the fish wins. I am going heavier and heavier each week and still getting busted off. SOme of the fish on sunday were unstoppable. THis season I have been able to stop a few kings over a meter. I even caught a kingie in MH over 110cm on 50lb but these guys are something else!

The softly softly method does work and when you stop putting the pressure on the fish, they stop running. But a lot of the bust offs, I haven't been able to even try this method...they have busted me even before I start winding the handle!

The best thing I find is trying to be smooth and not to pump and wind too vigorously. Just steady pressure is the way to go but ALWAYS be aware that the king will have something left in reserve when they come near the boat. WIthout fail, they will go straight down when they see the boat. You gotta be ready for this otherwise it will end in tears. CHeers kelvin