King Fish Tales

namesay

Hi all, this current kingfish season has been the best for many many years. There are small fish, medium fish and large fish often in the same area. It is a bit of a lucky dip at the moment. The fish are hitting whole squid, cut squid, half eaten squid...as long as it is fresh, the kings are hitting it.

post-2057-1172984883_thumb.jpg

Today was typical of what I have been experiencing for the last couple of months. My Noble now has its engine run in. It is a devastatingly effective platform for all types of fishing. The ride is unbelieveably smooth. I can get to the grounds so fast that I hardly have time to rig up.

First thing is to catch squid. The squid are mercilessly hunted down by all the predators in and around the harbour. I see kings EVERYWHERE whenever I squid , often you have to bring the squid in fast to stop the kings from pinching it. Haven't landed a kingie on a squid jig yet but that may happen by the way things are going at the moment. I was lucky today and sourced 8 squid real quick.

I started off by downrigging. The first strike was HUGE....busted off. The second was the same again. I don't know how big the fish were but I was fishing 10-12kg of drag on my torsa and they still managed to reach the bottom. My rod holders in the Noble are WELDED to the hull. Unlike Netic's plastic rod holders, I am able to use maximum drag

The 3rd fish was nowhere near as big as the first 2 hits. I got this fella in.

post-2057-1172985144_thumb.jpg

It went about 90cm.

The fish started to go off the whole squid so I stripped up the remaining squid. The strikes kept on coming , mainly from smaller fish. They were pretty quickly landed and released . All in, I landed 15 kings today with my boys. But I had a couple of bust offs in the bargain while fishing strips as well. :mad3:

I really don't know how big these kings are as I am fishing serious drag. 10-12kg is not child's play. I had a few bust offs in the past few weeks due to crappy braid but the braid I am using at the moment ( daiwa sensor braid in 60lb ) is holding up to the punishment. My leader is a heavy 80lb fluorocarbon and I am still being done like dinner.

This is a great time of the year for the larger fish.

Tony-RZee was also fishing next to me and he had a couple of bust offs on his saltiga. He too was fishing some seriously heavy tackle. I think it is a bit like impoundment barra , since the kingie traps have been taken out the kings get bigger each year. Last year I rarely got busted off on 50lb tackle but this year I am losing 1-2 fish every time I go out. Since I fish 3-4 times a week, that is a lot of bust offs!!!

I am seriously thinking about locking my drag mechanisms on both my stella and torsa. Perhaps the principle of land them or pop them may be the way to go.

THe recent rains also has had another effect in that I am picking up a lot of jew fish. Specimens from 50cm all the way to meter+ fish are fairly common especially when fishing strips.

I just can't wait for my next trip!!!

post-2057-1172985985_thumb.jpg

The secret is squid.....has anyone got a squid farm?

Virtually every session has seen some 10-20 kingfish boated. The month of February has seen over 200 kingies caught on my boat (s). I just hope March continues in the same vein. Another good day on the kings. CHeers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Awesome report Kelvin! Interesting about the Kings.... Do ya reckon that they will hang around in winter??

Kingfish can be found ALL year. The harbour always has kings in the winter. You just have to track them down. Autumn and winter are my favourite months for kingfish. Off shore jigging is fantastic in winter and the average size of the fish increases.

Just because the temperature is falling doesn't mean the fish disappear. Chasing kingies in the colder months is a very productive method. Of course if the yellowfin turn up this winter like they did last winter, then I may have to pack some cubed bait! CHeers kelvin

It's intersting that the Harbour has these fish but only 20 k's north Broken Bay is fishing for nothing like that.

I have an idea though. While out today I was zoomed by dozens of Jet Ski riders, and they are banned from the Harbour. Thanks a lot Waterways. What fish is going to hang around that much noise.

One friendly dude came right up to within throwing disatnce from my gunwhales and waved at me. I politely waved back and gave him a nod instead of throwing a 4 oz Snapper lead at him. I was only catching rubbish anyway.

Well done Kelvin, Good report, Nice kings

ALso buddy I installed Stainless Steel holders in the boat last week so yesterday we were also fishing 12kg of drag without a worry of holders breaking

Edited by netic

Been looking forward to reading a report from you it seems to have been a while. Another great day in the greatest harbour, awesome work as usual. Pity about those bustoffs could you up the line weight and increase the drag, or is 12kg max? Also i recently purchased some yo zuris as recommended pinks and oranges in 1.8 to 2.5 weights could you give us a tip on where to test em out thanks mate and well done. :icon_peace:

It's intersting that the Harbour has these fish but only 20 k's north Broken Bay is fishing for nothing like that.

I have an idea though. While out today I was zoomed by dozens of Jet Ski riders, and they are banned from the Harbour. Thanks a lot Waterways. What fish is going to hang around that much noise.

One friendly dude came right up to within throwing disatnce from my gunwhales and waved at me. I politely waved back and gave him a nod instead of throwing a 4 oz Snapper lead at him. I was only catching rubbish anyway.

Broken Bay, hawkesbury and pittwater have not been producing the best. The difference between these 2 waterways is that one is free of commercial fishermen and the other isn't.

The harbour is full of people who normally fish the hawkesbury. They are all coming down as the difference in fishing is huge.

Good on Ya Netic with those SS rod holders. The coming couple of months will see some real hoods cruising around and your tackle will be tested to the fullest. I am starting to upgrade all my tackle to keep up with these kings.

I can report Costa that I have been getting a LOT of flathead. The Noble has broken my flattie drought .

As for those jewfish, I see them on my sounder REALLY CLEARLY. They have a large swim bladder and they are crystal clear. I just drop my bait to their depth and I have been picking up the odd one or two. But these jewies aren't always in a feeding mood and seem to come on the bite at the change of tide. Whenever I get a change in tide, I rig up for jewies and have been scoring them. Rzee got one today as well.CHeers Kelvin

Been looking forward to reading a report from you it seems to have been a while. Another great day in the greatest harbour, awesome work as usual. Pity about those bustoffs could you up the line weight and increase the drag, or is 12kg max? Also i recently purchased some yo zuris as recommended pinks and oranges in 1.8 to 2.5 weights could you give us a tip on where to test em out thanks mate and well done. :icon_peace:

!2kg isn't the max drag I can fish on my tackle. The stella 20000 and the torsa are capable of holding 20kgs of drag. Certainly this much drag has been on the back of my mind. I think this coming wednesday will see me running 20kgs! As for squidding spots, you just have to try all the weed beds, kelpy areas or reefy area. the best water is in 2-6 meters. THe harbour is full of such areas so try your luck anywhere as the squid do move around. I normally don't squid the same spot but move around all the time.Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Fantastic Report Kelvin,

You were talking about locking up the drag on your reels. well I use a Tyrnos and the last king at 101cm, I had the drag pretty much on sunset. The fish managed to get my arm and kneee bruised on the side of the hull but I managed to make him dinner!!!. Dont be afraid to lock up the drag, and I like the idea of squid farms!!!!

Great report mate

Fantastic Report Kelvin,

You were talking about locking up the drag on your reels. well I use a Tyrnos and the last king at 101cm, I had the drag pretty much on sunset. The fish managed to get my arm and kneee bruised on the side of the hull but I managed to make him dinner!!!. Dont be afraid to lock up the drag, and I like the idea of squid farms!!!!

Great report mate

I think all of us targeting these crusing hoods have the same problems as you! I think I can spot a kingie fisherman by the bruises/cuts on their bodies. :thumbup: I got several bruises on my knees and shins from these guys. Lately I have been getting several fish in the 100cm+ range and it is like hand to hand combat.

I even got a cut on my hands and I was even wearing gloves not to mention burnt palms and thumbs from adding extra drag with my hands!!!

Some of these fish save their best for right at the boat and it is knuckles to the gunwales and bellies over the side of the boat to stop the line rubbing your boat.

The coming weeks has me salivating as the REALLY BIG fish should muscle out the smaller ones. We'll see. I am just reloading some 80lb line onto my reels!!! CHeers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

great report as always mate.. very nice fish too!!

try as i do i cant seem to get onto many kings.. ive caught a few, around the legal size but nothing bigger.. ive had a few big 'things' take baits and run like all hell then either bust off or spit the hook.. but thats fishin..

keep up the awesome reports as i seem to learn something everytime, i just hope i can get into some big ones soon..

G'day namesay

Great to read another report from you on your success on the harbour Kings.

Just to let you know I followed your rig recipes you had in on one of your earlier posts and tied a few of your Kingie rigs. They work really well. Thanks.

Whilst getting a stock of yellowtail for the big jewie outings I thought I might just throw out an unweighted fresh Hawkesbury squid ( only one I had ) an see what happens ... 2 mins later and BANG - managed to bag a nice Pittwater kingie using your rig...but here is the thing next cast I lost my rig to a rope on fish trap!!!!

Reading all the reports from the harbour there seems to be a BIG BIG difference in the two systems and this year it has become more evident.

I wonder how the gun harbour fishos would do if they were to come up to the Pittwater / Hawkesbury and try their luck on the kings - just a thought!

I think the alarm bells are ringing...what do you all think?

cheers

inlanzi

great stuff kelvin, i saw you towing the boat back through lane cove, nice tow vehicle! theres alot of jewies coming from the harbour over the last week or so in particular but nothing close to the size capable in the hawkesbury, in my opinion the hrabour is the home of kings and jews in the hawkesbury.

The Hawkesbury for sure holds more large jewies than the harbour and parramatta river/middle harbour. The hawkesbury is a HUGE system the only problem is all the commercial activity that is there.

Pittwater/cowan holds some BIG kings but they are targetted by the commercial guys. Early in the season the kings turn up in Pittwater and the pros are onto them and the bite shuts down. I was getting good kings until about Nov and things slowed down. The fish are coming back into the Broken bay area and I think fisheries may have a trawling ban for the next few months in pittwater but it doesn't stop the traps.

The only thing is to make the whole hawkesbury/broken bay area for the rec fishos. The commercial guys only have the rest of the pacific ocean to fish!!! Fish farming is another alternative! Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay