Yellow Belly In Canberra

Grebbo

Hi all,

Just a quick report on the conditions at lake Burley Griffin in Canberra on Friday afternoon.

Since being bombarded by Mondo with fishing reports about Canberra region, I finally decided to brake my drought and go out on the lake for a quick arvo fish. Got to the lake with my mate and realized that I left all of my hard body lures at home :ranting2: , had to salvage one that was entangled in the landing net from my last fishing trip. ½ hour in and O MY GOD! This massive yellow belly follows my lure all the way to the top, I look in to the water and nearly c@@p my self, this beautiful fish just swam up and gently swallowed the lure 20cm from the surface and bang! Off she goes! Spooling my 4 pound braid at an awesome rate, when I finaly brought it to the side of the boat we discovered that the fish was twice as big as out landing net :mad3: , so in the end opted to pull her in with bear hands, good job on my fishing partners behalf for landing the fish in to the boat with his hands, I guess he knew he would be swimming back to the ramp if he let it go. :biggrin2:

In the excitement of the whole situation, did not measure or use the scales on it, wanted to plunk it back in to the water ASAP, still I estimate 40 to 45 cm?.

After kissing my lure like an idiot, I cast for another ½ hour, anyone who uses braid, especially low poundage, knows the problems with your line knotting on casts , I cast out, got a knot and started to retrieve quite quickly to fix it, and then boom! Another strike! This time a very rare and elusive and endangered Murray Perch.

Both fish were kissed and released back in to the lake!

The water in the lake is usually really clear, thus allowing a lot of light to penetrate in to the depths, native fish usually wait till dusk to come out and play, and that’s why you catch so much red fin and not may natives. Since the rains in the region, the water is a little murky, allowing cover for the natives, you find that you hook up more of them and less red fin. :thumbup:

one more pic

post-1420-1173071663_thumb.jpg

post-1420-1173072135_thumb.jpg

Woo-hoo!!

I knew you'd crack a good one with the amount of time you've been putting in. Looks like a healthy goldie too - amazing to think that this kind of quality fishing can be had in Burley Griffin.

Next up is the mighty Murray Cod. I have no doubts you'll pick one up soon with the way the lake is firing.

Great stuff Grebbo.

BTW Grebbo - I'm fairly sure that there are no Macquarie Perch in the fishing records section so if you submit it to the mods you'll probably have a Fishraider record there.

There's no prizes but you'll feel the warm glow of internet-based envy of your fishing talent.

Or maybe you won't.

BTW Grebbo - I'm fairly sure that there are no Macquarie Perch in the fishing records section so if you submit it to the mods you'll probably have a Fishraider record there.

There's no prizes but you'll feel the warm glow of internet-based envy of your fishing talent.

Or maybe you won't.

I did mark on the boat the lenght of the perch, however did not have the chance to put a tape measure to it yet, i will do it tonight :thumbup:

letting them go is half the fun

post-1420-1173075268_thumb.jpg

post-1420-1173075644_thumb.jpg

post-1420-1173075860_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grebbo

Nice report!

Both fish are golden perch and as far as I'm aware there is no such species commonly known as murray perch, the lake is fairly well stocked with goldens and cod that are in awesome condition.

Congrats on the yellas.

Cheers, Allan

Hi Allan

I think you'll find that Grebbo meant Macquarie Perch - not Murray Perch. In any event you're right - it does appear to be a goldie (now that I've looked up photos of Macquarie Perch and seen that they're considerably darker).

Oh well - no record and no warm glow for Grebbo.

Still a great session for a lake that I grew up thinking was uninhabited by anything except carp.

Hi Allan

I think you'll find that Grebbo meant Macquarie Perch - not Murray Perch. In any event you're right - it does appear to be a goldie (now that I've looked up photos of Macquarie Perch and seen that they're considerably darker).

Still a great session for a lake that I grew up thinking was uninhabited by anything except carp.

Macca's also have a silver eye, smaller jaw and were never found in the Molonglo catchment that far down stream as far as I know, the lake is a hell of a lot nicer these days & nothing like the cess pit it was 10 years ago.

My entry in the feb fish of the month comp came not far from those yellas.

Cheers, Allan

Hi Allan

I stand corrected :)

Yes yellas are very similar in shape to maccas, but to the trained eye the differences are like oranges and apples, I doubt a macca has ever been caught from Burley Griffen because maccas prefer small clear running streams, although they are found in a few select impoundments.

Maccas can be found around Canberra but are in heavy decline.

Reference for Maquarie Perch, click on fish file and scroll down the page a bit.

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/

macquari.jpg

Cheers, Allan

Edited by Funda

Grebbo

Nice Yellas mate, they really do look to be in top condition. Nothing like their poor cousins at Burrendong. (Riddled with worms ATM)

Funda, mate its no wonder your producing the goods with 'ol Murray. Sounds like you know your stuff. :1yikes:

Nice to see some fellow freshies out there :thumbup:

Congrats on winning the FOTM comp Funda - you got my vote!

With a rig like yours you're certainly a stand-out on the lake so hopefully Grebbo or I will see you and be able to come over and say hi. Grebbo fishes out of a v. small wooden home-made punt painted with a dark green hull (and you know what his ugly mug looks like now) so feel free to do the same if you see him.

I still can't believe that Lake Burley Griffin has cleaned up to the point where quality fish in top condition can be regularly caught on lure. What a turnaround - and what a boon for Canberra anglers who don't like chasing trout.

Thanks for the vote :thumbup:

I have 2 Hobie kayaks, the one in the photo is an Outback that has a murray cod logo and the word GUDDHU on either side, the other is an Adventure that is much longer and yet to be named.

Just keep an eye out for the beard and hat and make sure you call out when you see me, I'm sure we'll bump into each other somewhere along the way.

Cheers, Allan