Fisheries Inspectors ?

BUSTER 1

I remember seeing a tv show not long ago and it was filmed in NZ.

On this show it had volunteer fisheries inspectors going around the seaside

issuing infringement notices for illegal fishing activities and confiscating

under size or over bag limit fish.These volunteers had police radios and back up

if I remember correct,and they had a tv crew follow them around a bit like

that NZ cop show on fox, Police ten7,or Motorway patrol.

It was very entertaining watching all these piscatorial crooks getting caught.

Anybody else see it? Was on last year.

penguin

Edited by penguin

I remember seeing a tv show not long ago and it was filmed in NZ.

On this show it had volunteer fisheries inspectors going around the seaside

issuing infringement notices for illegal fishing activities and confiscating

under size or over bag limit fish.These volunteers had police radios and back up

if I remember correct,and they had a tv crew follow them around a bit like

that NZ cop show on fox, Police ten7,or Motorway patrol.

It was very entertaining watching all these piscatorial crooks getting caught.

Anybody else see it? Was on last year.

penguin

yup saw it, forgot the name tho..

watched the bit when the two men got done for stashing literally over a hundred undersize snapper or so inside their boat. they were fined or something and the boat seized. taking a few undersized fish would be tolerable, but a hundred?? are u kidding me :thumbdown:

Cheers

Davy

whether there are inspectors around or not, its still dissapointing to see illegal fishing around.. just last week we saw two fishermen fishing off a rock platform, keeping well undersize fish in the little rockpools nearby. when asked about it, they said they wernt theirs, keeping in mind that we saw them earlier placing them in the pools after capture :1badmood:

i really have to start carrying the illegal fish hotline around.

Cheers

Davy

Davy,

Do you know what kind of fish were in the rock pool?

I was abused by a guy at Fig tree point many years ago for pulling in Yakkas hand over fist and keeping them. All he saw was little fish going into the bucket..

Cheers.

Robbie.

Davy,

Do you know what kind of fish were in the rock pool?

I was abused by a guy at Fig tree point many years ago for pulling in Yakkas hand over fist and keeping them. All he saw was little fish going into the bucket..

Cheers.

Robbie.

Definitely, they were tiny bream, snapper and a little leatherjacket no bigger than the palm of my hand (duno if LJs have a legal limit tho).

Cheers

Davy

Edited by Davy

however was grabbed again on way home at Rhodes bridge ,and get this, was reprimanded (no fine just verbally) by the female officer, for not having a "WHISTLE" ie. like a postman has that you blow in,as it is compulsary as a "Warning device"

I would imagine that it was a Waterways (MSB) vessel / officer that did this. Fisheries (DPI) officers would not concern themselves with your safety gear.

If you've ever been to Hat Head where boaties enter the ocean through the very narrow creek mouth you may have noticed a big sign at the ramp informing that all vessel skippers must carry and sound a whistle at regular intervals to alert the swimmers of there passage. So in that situation you must have one.

Other than that I have never heard of it as a compulsory item. It is a good idea though. I have two that are connected to the kids PFD's.

As for Fisheries inspectors we don't see them around much but they do pop up. We were inspected at the ramp in Swansea Channel a few years back by two lovely young female officers. We passed no problems. I've seen them at work in Budgewoi Channel and in the outlet between Buff Point and San Remo.

A while back they did a blitz on the F3 and pulled over cars towing boats. One of the boats they pulled over revealed illegal nets and a large haul of fish. The whole lot was confiscated. Car, trailer, boat, nets and catch. It made big news up here.

It makes no difference to me whether they are there or not. Only keep keepers.

I would like to know more about the issue using small fish as live bait though. I can't find any info on the fisheries website about using undersized fish for bait.

I would like to know more about the issue using small fish as live bait though. I can't find any info on the fisheries website about using undersized fish for bait.

The rules are that you cannot use a fish as livie if it is subject to a size limit.

If the fish doesn't have a size limit (ie: a yakka etc) then it's OK

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by MallacootaPete

The rules are that you cannot use a fish as livie if it is subject to a size limit.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I'm sure there are many out there that don't know this. I didn't!!!

Livo

Thanks Pete.

I'm sure there are many out there that don't know this. I didn't!!!

Livo

Correction to my post:

The rules are that you cannot use an undersized fish as livie if it is subject to a size limit.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

Cheers,

Pete.

Correction to my post:

The rules are that you cannot use an undersized fish as livie if it is subject to a size limit.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

Cheers,

Pete.

Pete,

I've downloaded the Fisheries pdf document Saltwater Guide 2006 / 2007 and it does not actually say that. By the way, I know you are correct in this but it's not written that way.

It does say on page 34 "A fish which does not reach this minimum length must be immediately returned to the water". It doesn't say, however, that you have to remove the hook or that you can't put a different hook in. :whistling:

It is very loosely worded and one could argue that it is subject to interpretation. I feel that there should be a qualifying statement in that document specifically addressing the issue of live bait from size limited species.

When a search is done for the term "Live Bait" in this document there are are only 3 instances and not one of them is related to using size managed species other than Poddy Mullet, which as you know is treated differently to all other species.

While I now know otherwise, (thanks to Sammy and yourself), I have always held the belief that you could use small fish of any type as livies (or dead bait) and maybe you once could. My ancestors caught many large Flatties and Jew on livies of all types when I was a kid. Perhaps Fisheries needs to look at a revision on this document to take any confusion out of the issue.

Just a thought.

Greg

Edited by livo

I remember seeing in the paper about 5yrs back that a guy got sprung at

Penrhyn ramp Botany one night at 11.20pm he had over 200 fish on board

his boat,and a big net that he used to catch these fish.I think over half the

fish he got were Tailor,and I think he copped a $12,500 fine and loss of his

boat.

penguin

I saw coastguard today at port hacking, expected them to come around to the wharf and stop and check for licences or even say hello, they were coming towards the wharf then just kept going right past. Doesn't bother me either way really just a curiosity factor if anyone is interested.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys

I have never been asked to see my licence here in Forster - but whenever I have been on a NSW stocked freshwater lake, I have been checked almost every time! Worst complaint was that my photocopy of the licence had been wet & not easy to read! So now i laminate them. I copy my licence about 10 times on my fax & then whack them thru a laminator. The original stays at home. One goes in each of my tackle bags & worming bucket & I sticky tape one onto my kayak, so I know it is always there!

I thought they had honorary fishing inspectors in NSW - never seen any of them, either!

Funny thing was that in 1999 I actually saw a fishing inspector down at Janeys COrner one day, but he only checked the blokes out - must have thought I didn't know what I was doing ..... I had caught more than the blokes! LOL!

Cheers

Roberta

Roberta

Will they except a photo copy as this is one brillant idea it just ashame i did not think of it

cheers

bob

It would be great to have an Australian version of that show,

I'd watch it,and lots of other people out there may get the message

after seeing so many idiots gettin caught.

penguin

best part of the show was listening to excuses in the new zealanders accent...

two big mauri's loading up the back of a truck with buckets of some sort of clam in the middle of the night like seasoned pro fisherman:

"i swiir bro, i didn't know."

Edited by choad