Fisheries Inspectors ?

BUSTER 1

Yup

Between myself an Greg we fish sydney harb 3-5 days of the week.,,, An I can tell you since Xmas last year we have seen over 1/2 dozen fisheries officers,,, But only been checked once or twice!!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

Dan an Greg

Edited by Dan and Greg

I have been fishing for over 30yrs and only ever seen ONE fisheries inspector out on the water or at the ramp checking catches or licences. You have gotta wonder where they are?

Considering that when they introduced the ridiculous saltwater fishing licence it was going to fund additional inspectors!

I see soooooo many people doing the wrong thing and it just blows my mind :thumbdown: .

Fisheries Inspectors..... what a joke!!!!!

Cmon mate,, fair go! :1fishing1:

Its easy to critize yet hard to fix! Not suggesting anything, but like everything yell fire an see no fire engines! Same thing applies to fishing inspectors! :bump0ee:

Between myself an Greg we have logged over 100hrs fishing sydney harbour in the last 14 days. Now its either the right time or wroong time whichever way you percieve it but we have been checked 2 - 3 times on sydney harbour in the last 11 outings. I do agree though ALOT more Fisheries Officers are need on the water.

Just out of curiousity did anyone know in 1999 there were 89, I kid you Not!!!!! 89 Fisheries Officers to Patrol the whole of Australia. Any doubters, an I will give the reference an source. AMMMAZINNNNG

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Cmon mate,, fair go! :1fishing1:

Its easy to critize yet hard to fix! Not suggesting anything, but like everything yell fire an see no fire engines! Same thing applies to fishing inspectors! :bump0ee:

Between myself an Greg we have logged over 100hrs fishing sydney harbour in the last 14 days. Now its either the right time or wroong time whichever way you percieve it but we have been checked 2 - 3 times on sydney harbour in the last 11 outings. I do agree though ALOT more Fisheries Officers are need on the water.

Just out of curiousity did anyone know in 1999 there were 89, I kid you Not!!!!! 89 Fisheries Officers to Patrol the whole of Australia. Any doubters, an I will give the reference an source. AMMMAZINNNNG

Dan

I average about 2 times a fortnight mostly up the Parra river and harbour but usually mid week. last week took a mate out on sunday(not normally a weekend boater in the harbour ,too many yachty's ect about) and was pulled up 3 times :ranting2: upriver was stopped at Gladesville and also near Clifto Gardens for a fish and boat safety equipment check (passed with congratulations from inspectors) however was grabbed again on way home at Rhodes bridge ,and get this, was reprimanded (no fine just verbally) by the female officer, for not having a "WHISTLE" ie. like a postman has that you blow in,as it is compulsary as a "Warning device"I tried to explain that I have a Friggin great set of twin "air horns" fitted on the boat for that ,but NO, there no good,you have to carry a whistle????. I have lifejackets with whistles attached but she said as the driver I should carry it with me , Am I just having my leg pulled or do any of you fishaiders no the ruling on this. I think this would make a good topic for the Administraters to follow up and maybe make a post on what is the latest ruling to what is required to be carried on board for estuary or blue water boaters . Lets get some feedback on this. I was actually pleased to be pulled up as I thought this is good our fishing licence fees are actually being prescribed for a usefull purpose,but maybe I need to update, I'm not sure I always thought I was pretty safety conscious,but as an old boaty i need to be aware of the latest rules

Something I heard on Hightide on Saturday morning , the bridge spans at Rhodes are 53 metres apart , the speed limit under the bridge is 8 knots. (Speed not more than 8 knots within 30 Metres of a bridge span) Apparently , Maritime have been having a bit of a blitz on boats exceeding this speed under the bridge .

Ross

Hi guys

I have never been asked to see my licence here in Forster - but whenever I have been on a NSW stocked freshwater lake, I have been checked almost every time! Worst complaint was that my photocopy of the licence had been wet & not easy to read! So now i laminate them. I copy my licence about 10 times on my fax & then whack them thru a laminator. The original stays at home. One goes in each of my tackle bags & worming bucket & I sticky tape one onto my kayak, so I know it is always there!

I thought they had honorary fishing inspectors in NSW - never seen any of them, either!

Funny thing was that in 1999 I actually saw a fishing inspector down at Janeys COrner one day, but he only checked the blokes out - must have thought I didn't know what I was doing ..... I had caught more than the blokes! LOL!

Cheers

Roberta

I have only been asked for my license once and once only, but i do understand that fisheries are seriously undermanned and they can only cover so much ground.

I actually just keep my license number in my phone and will supply that to them when they ask

Something I heard on Hightide on Saturday morning , the bridge spans at Rhodes are 53 metres apart , the speed limit under the bridge is 8 knots. (Speed not more than 8 knots within 30 Metres of a bridge span) Apparently , Maritime have been having a bit of a blitz on boats exceeding this speed under the bridge .

Ross

Ross in all the times I have passed under that bridge I cant remember seeing a sign there and if thats the case then there is 3 times you have to slow down on a run to the harbour. I went down and saw the two Queens in Sydney Harbour and everyone was going flat out.

Rhodes 8 knots

Mortlake ferry 4 - 8 ?

Gladesville Bridge 8 knots.

However the rivercats go through there at 25mph and create a pressure wave a metre high so why are we being pinged.

Our trailerboats would produce a 30cm wave when on the plane.

Well Hounddog - from the links that Stewy provided it would appear that the Fisheries inspector who stopped you and insisted you produce a whistle was completely full of it.

The rules clearly state that you are required to have "An efficient sound signal device" on board. They do not specify that the sound device must be a whistle - and your twin air horns should be perfectly sufficient.

I don't carry a whistle on my boat either - only one of those aerosol horns. Next time an officer demands you carry a whistle you can politely explain that the rules do not require you to do so.

Edited by Mondo

Funnily enough I have an air horn and a whistle ,just one of those cheap plastic ones.

Reason being I can access the whistle very quickly as it it right near the steering wheel.

Just a thought and for the few bucks it costs it wont break the bank :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

The point I was trieing to make is when the fishing licence first came out there were inspectors every where

but in the passed 2 years they seemed to have dissapeared at least in Botany Bay

Not trying to be critical it was just an observation

:1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

The only time I have ever been asked for a fishing licence was about 30years ago when you had to have one for freshwater fishing. Mr Dal had to hike back to the car as it was in the glovebox.

We have only been checked for safety equipment on the boat once when we had the tinny.

Fisheries once asked us did we catch anything at the boat ramp but he didn't get out of his car or check our boat. We must look very honest.

As for the whistle, I attached whistles to our lifejackets when we went to Jindabyne and still had the tinny.

Mr Dal did point out that once the whistles got wet they wouldn't work because the ball inside was cork.

If using a whistle make sure they are the plastic ones. :1prop:

I see waterways around but they never come over to check us out. Hmmm I wouldn't mind boating around all day.

They are our only encounters with 'the law'. Makes you wonder???

Hey Hound dog

Believe it or not, we got hit with the same thing concerning the whistles about 2yrs back by Maritime. I was laughing so hard I nearly fell outa the boat. They really didnt like this :1prop:

We got warned an reprimanded, worst off was the fact that we knew these inspectors an they cautioned us that next time it wont be a verbal warning but rather a fine!! Low an behold they followed up on their threat a while later,,,, our response,,, Got 3, one for me, one for greg, an one for the boat :1prop::1prop:

Dan an greg

:thumbup: Thanks Stewy, I have since pillaged my grandkids toybox and now have 2 plastic whistles hanging off the back of each seat. If any footy referees out there are short of a whistle,come and see me Ive got em everywhere LOL

in botany bay i have only been check once and they had a go at us for having too smaller engine on a too large boat about 4yrs ago. :mad3: there wasn't any rules about that last time i checked. :074: Well san sausi fisheries have a 5.8m (or abouts) plate alloy boat which hasn't moved for over a year!!! but in the last week i have seen them with a new EDENCRAFT with twin yamaha four strokes(think 225HP). Maybe some more patrols For Botany Bay, i'm up for that.

Edited by cam

Rules are rules..... and its not that hard to do the right thing.

Ignorance is no excuse either. If you drive a car.... learn the road rules.

The same thing applies on the water..... It is your responsibility to make yourself aware of the law and requirements. Remember that they vary from state to state. So if you travel interstate to fish... it too is your responsibility to make yourself aware of the legislation in that particular state.

I hate the old excuse.... "but I didn't know".

Edited by njsconst

Couldnt agree more mate!

An excuse is just another word for "BUTTTT""". And that just doesnt cut it, particulary considering society these days where everyone sues everybody else an nobody accepts responsibilty :wacko:

D & G

Edited by Dan and Greg

Ross in all the times I have passed under that bridge I cant remember seeing a sign there and if thats the case then there is 3 times you have to slow down on a run to the harbour. I went down and saw the two Queens in Sydney Harbour and everyone was going flat out.

Rhodes 8 knots

Mortlake ferry 4 - 8 ?

Gladesville Bridge 8 knots.

However the rivercats go through there at 25mph and create a pressure wave a metre high so why are we being pinged.

Our trailerboats would produce a 30cm wave when on the plane.

Here is the regulation that covers this situation : 30 metres from any person or anything in the water when you are travelling at 10 knots or more .

This would include a bridge pylon or support. As the total span distance is less than 60 metres , you would be within 30 metres of one or the other supports , and if you were travelling in excess of 10 knots , you would be in breach of the regulations.

It was explained on the radio as a technical breach , which virtually everyone was not aware of . There are no signs stating the distance between spans , but some inspectors have been enforcing this rule .

Ross

In WA they have V-FLO's, Volunteer Fisheries Liason officers. Basically volunteers that go around chatting to fisho's and educating them, handing out info brochures and stickers etc. They don't have a Licence over there, but I think that's something that should be implemented over here. I know I'd be happy to sacrifice a fishing day to go around and chat to other fisho's, and to do the footwork that Fisheries should be doing.

Don't they have Fishcare volunteers here, or are they a thing of the past??

davo

In short. I actually work along side fisheries in the field.

The inspectors do indeed spend most of their time in the field as you will probably find out if you ring the fisheries hotline and to find the office is not manned. It is a comforting thought to know that the officers are not sitting around an office.

Like I said, they do spend most of their time out there but often on fairly big operations monitoring the actions of professional fishermen out wide. Therefore it would stand to reason that us recreational fishermen see little of them.

Pardon the pun, but they have bigger fish to fry than us.

Davo

Edited by DV8

I have been checked by fisheries officers both on and off the water several times.

Plain clothes inspectors were at Penrhyn ramp botany 1 night at 9pm last year,

and at a ramp in the Hawkesbury at 9.30 pm one night,these guys were

issuing fines left right and centre as no one expected them out that late on a Sunday.

I dont know the name of the ramp as I dont fish this area at all, and I was a last minute

passenger in a mates boat.

Was good to be the only boat to go free,when 3 others around us were fined.

penguin

whether there are inspectors around or not, its still dissapointing to see illegal fishing around.. just last week we saw two fishermen fishing off a rock platform, keeping well undersize fish in the little rockpools nearby. when asked about it, they said they wernt theirs, keeping in mind that we saw them earlier placing them in the pools after capture :1badmood:

i really have to start carrying the illegal fish hotline around.

Cheers

Davy