Clifton Frigates

Guest dicko1

Guest dicko1

Hey everyone, i was down at clifton this morning and the frigates were goin nuts for about 40 mins. They started off over near the naval wharf then came all the way into the beach so that they were about 2ft from the shore and then over to the pool. They were impossible to catch though! I was lb and there was a boat following them as well and none of us could get a hook up. I was using a 7g metal and i got heaps of follows and about 5 hits but missed them. What am i doing wrong when they hit but dont hook up? And how can i convert the follows into hook ups?? Thanks guys!

Best bet is to get down to Tony @ Fishfinder Bait and Tackle and pick up some ZOOM! soft plastics, arkansas shiner and baby bass colour, stick them on some TT jigheads, approx 1/8th or 1/6th with size 1 or 1/0 hooks!

8g ?watsons? metals

sumthing like that

they a little stubbier than sea rocks but cast further and get more hits

failing that a chopped down bm or sumthin similar

although when they came to clifton on saturday i didnt get any hits on that combo lol

but they were there for like 3 minutes so not a great test...

Hey Robbie

The use of the bubble float to aid in casting light baits/lures is a brillant technique! Our mate Roger. uses this technique all the time!!! Even at night, ie 2am!

Funny Sh@# to watch but it produces the goods, an pretty much any fish will hit a light fly on the surface with a bubble float.

Dan an Greg

He doesnt need to see the lure, he spins/fly fishings in well lite bright areas very early in the morning. So the fish can see his lures/flies,,,,,

Bloody funny 2 watch,, german fellow he is, an all u can c is this lil white fly zipping around with a bubble float on a 2M leader,,,,

Sorry bud, dunno the flies he uses

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Hi Dicko1

Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago at Huskisson! They were smashing fish on the surface & harrassing small schools of bait fish (balling them up, just like on Planet Earth) in the estuary there - very frustrating! Eventually just kept tossing different sized lures at them, one bloke was throwing whitebait at them - no-one got any!

Gorgeous to watch tho.

I like the idea with the float, tho! Almost forgotten about them! It works on trout, too - I used to use a 'see thru' bubble float that you squeezed to hold water - adjustable weight - fantastic little tool!

Cheers

Roberta

Guest dicko1

What is a Frigate? :wacko:

frigate mackeral... they are more of a bait fish i guess but they are awesome fun to catch, real speedsters at 40cm+. I still havnt got any this year yet tho!