Who Is Now Downrigging

netic

I have had a downrigger for ten years which was originally for trout. I find it all too hard with too much ancillary equipment and too many things to tangle etc (especially in the wind). Only use it when all else fails, and it can prove to be worth its weight in gold.

Davo

Guest lets go fishn

the second investment on the new boat is a downrigger, first is a chartplotter if it hasn't already got one, anyone got any recomendations to what is the best brand/ model to go for?

It's got to be relativly cheap, easy to store away and not get in the way.

Will be using it for kings maybe bit of outside trolling for marlin etc.

cheers james

why a chartplotter that aint going to help you catch you gotta find the fish first then cover your path

I also have 2 on my boat and find them a most valuable tool. I have used them in many situations throughout the harbour and beyond. Did a trip to South West Rocks and some of the locals laughed at the concept.

Riggers paired up with a good sounder are extreemly valuable.

All you guys out there who are thinking about getting a DR but are uncertain as to whether or not spend the bucks, I have made my own. Ally tube welded into an L shape with appropriately sized quality reel seat and some other bits and pieces from Whitworths coupled with a 7.5 inch Alvey drag and PRESTO - 1 downrigger.

Ally tube $0, welding $30, reel seat $35 and other bits and pieces about $25, so for under $100 you too can give it a go. I will take some piccies and try to post them so you can see how easy it is.

Russ ( Tuffy)

All you guys out there who are thinking about getting a DR but are uncertain as to whether or not spend the bucks, I have made my own. Ally tube welded into an L shape with appropriately sized quality reel seat and some other bits and pieces from Whitworths coupled with a 7.5 inch Alvey drag and PRESTO - 1 downrigger.

Ally tube $0, welding $30, reel seat $35 and other bits and pieces about $25, so for under $100 you too can give it a go. I will take some piccies and try to post them so you can see how easy it is.

Russ ( Tuffy)

I have a couple of mates who have made there own and i must say if done right they can turn out very good....

Interesting in having a look at yours

hey guys...

good info there...

by the way i just got one and have caught a few kings one it.

but im also learning to use my sounder properly and have got a few double and triple hook ups dropping weighted baits down...

my biggest king is 9kgs and i got it jigging so im not sure if the method makes a difference.

i believe that finding the fish is the key factor