Broken Rod Tip

Chaos

Hi fellas,

Broke my Raider rod tip on the weekend between the top and second guide. Is there any way to repair this or do I put it down to experience? I was thinking if it was unrepairable I would cut it off to the second top guide and use it that way,but would loose the tip action?

Any advice.

Cheers

Kurt

I had a two piece rod ( silstar), i broke the tip section trying to get out of a snag :1badmood:. I rang around trying to find where i could get a replacement. Finally tracked down the distributers and told them the story. They said bring it in and they would replace it under warranty for free :thumbup:

Guest IFishSick.

Another thought could be to try one of Rex Hunt's nibble tips.

Just cut the rod before the broken guide then fasten in the replacement tip. That way you get extra eyes for your rod.

Depending on how much tip is left, you can splice it back together if the blank is hollow. There is not much action between the tip and last guide so the splice wont really impede the action however, it will add a little bit of weight to the tip. This way, you will maintain the working length of the rod which wil in turn, protect the action of the main curve. I have successfully done this on an old Loomis for a mate. You need to get your hands on some graphite stick to suit the ID of the tip and ensure you leave approx. 30mm either side of the snap line. Only use 24 hour epoxy for the glue up. You can clean dwon surplus epoxy with metho.

Or, buy a new rod.

Cheers

Thanks Ceph,

Would a tackle store have the graphite stick you mention. Might give it a try. If I stuff it up, can always go the the second last guide. Would like to keep as much length and action as possible though.

Cheers

Kurt

Chaos,

You could try a tackle shop. Best to try one that has a custom rod building service. They will have bits if broken blank etc lying around.

Alternatively, you could try a hobby shop for the stick. They have all sorts of graphite sections for use as control arms etc in RC planes and cars. Make sure you take in your rod to correctly size the piece.

Remember to overbind the splice and apply a finish (I use Erskine) once complete and let it cure for a full week prior to use.

Good Luck Son.

Dude it is real easy to fix you can buy replacement tips from any tackle store get your self some araldite and some cotton the same color as your rod or you can use 4lb mono line you shave the remains of the broken tip off with a sharp knife make it nice and smooth the you araldite the tip on to hold it there. To make it easier to tie the new tip on with. tie the new tip with the cotton or mono line you rap the line around and around so thats its real tight and close together then araldite the lot. The araldite has a nice smooth clear finish and its slightly more flexible then most resin,s but it works a treat ive had to do it a few times just make sure to get the right sized tip .