What Is In The Water?

out n about

hey guys,

On the weekened i went out to Woolwich (sydney harbour) where my boat was moored for the past 2 weeks to pick it up and take it home... when i got to the ramp, being the smart fellow i am, i had left the keys to my car at home, as i drove the car earlier in the morning to the ramp... after a quick phone call to my mum (thank god) she drove over my keys and i was able to put the boat on its trailer...

what i noticed was something i have never seen before!!! under my boat so (on the hull) there are these white worm looking creatures or what ever they are such all underneith and they are rock solid stuck on... what are these things/creatures/marine creatures that live in the water??? i can't get them off so i have brought a product that hopefully will get them off and they smell really bad. so now my drive way stinks of like dry old prawns or old fish...

has anyone everyone everycome across this before??? if so do you know how to get them off???

i have had the boat in the water in order to go fishing but just last week my grandfather past away in italy so i went and took the boat out so i could wash and dont think i would be able to go for the next couple of weeks...

here we go i just got home and took a pic:

Dave

Edited by out n about

hey guys,

thanks for the help and im taking your word as you would know more than me about it as im only new to fishing (well not new but newish) as i never get time to go out...

AndyT - yeah thats right only in 2 weeks and thats what happened... i was freaked out i couldn't believe it... i morred my boat in husskison for 1 week and i had nothing at all i leave it for 2 week in sydney and i get that...

does anyone know how to remove/get rid of them???

hey guys,

thanks for the help and im taking your word as you would know more than me about it as im only new to fishing (well not new but newish) as i never get time to go out...

AndyT - yeah thats right only in 2 weeks and thats what happened... i was freaked out i couldn't believe it... i morred my boat in husskison for 1 week and i had nothing at all i leave it for 2 week in sydney and i get that...

does anyone know how to remove/get rid of them???

Try a little vinegar on them..it may shift them if they are still alive. If not, you may have to resort to elbow grease and a stiff brush or by pressure washing (difficult with water restrictions).

Any other ideas fellas???

Cheers,

Pete.

hey guys

thanks for the quick responses but unfortunately the high pressure hose doesn't work :ranting2: i have brought an acid base chemical from a boat shop with apparently is good to use on the hull and dingys cant remember what it is called but will post up the name when i go home and get it...

i hope it works cause its really annoying... i know that i will not be leaving the boat in the water again in sydney after that... can you imagine all the other boats moored in sydney harbour????

Dave

Guest dicko1

... i know that i will not be leaving the boat in the water again in sydney after that... can you imagine all the other boats moored in sydney harbour????

Dave

I have my boat moored in the harbour, at fairlight. It has been there for years and have never seen that... Maybe the anti-fouling paint stops it, dunno.... Anyways it doesnt matter that much its only on the hull and nobody will c it ay! Hope you manage to fix it up though!

Feather Worms or Hydroides norvegica

There case or "home" is are called calcareous tubes (I think a type of Limestone) so I think the only way to remove them would be a scrapper. You could try some hydrochloric acid but that might damage you boat.

The smell is because they are a live worm which obviously died out of the water.

They prove that the water quality is actually improving.

I to have them in my aquarium.

serpula.thumb.jpg

Edited by impulse

pre soak the boat for a few days let them go soggy than blast them off it looks freaky

hey gazza,

thats what im going to do... im taking the boat out on the weekend for a fish and as soon as i pull it out and put it back on the trailer im going to scrap as much as i can off :) and then deal with the rest at home...

thanks for the advice, much appreciated...

Dave