Clifton 7/3

Guest dicko1

Guest dicko1

Went down to CG this morning at about 7, pretty packed and heaps more came over the next hour. Anyways just wanted to get into the frigates so started throwing round some metals despite there being no surface action which is the first time in a couple of days... After a few casts I got a 30cm snapper as the lure was sinking after the cast, a bit of a surprise for me actually as I didnt really pick harbour snapper to hit a metal jig, esp off the surface! A few casts later hooked up 2 what im guessin was a good frigate or small king, again as the lure was sinking off the cast. To cut a long story short: zzzzzzzzzzzzz twang :mad3: The braid cut through my flourocarbon leader at the joining knot, it has never been a problem for me before on flatties and bream but i think with the extra pressure applied by a faster fish it just sliced through it... I was using a blood knot, is a uni better for joining braid to mono? I think I matched the hatch today in terms of using the correct colour anyway as I have been there the last few days and just continuously get follows so I was kind of happy, but its the 2nd fish iv lost there in a week! I got a king a few days ago on a little jig on 4lb line and leader and it took me straight into the pylons.... Oh well theres always next time!

From what I have seen over the last few days down there more frigates and bonito are getting caught on unweighted baits then lures....

Edited by dicko1

Went down to CG this morning at about 7, pretty packed and heaps more came over the next hour. Anyways just wanted to get into the frigates so started throwing round some metals despite there being no surface action which is the first time in a couple of days... After a few casts I got a 30cm snapper as the lure was sinking after the cast, a bit of a surprise for me actually as I didnt really pick harbour snapper to hit a metal jig, esp off the surface! A few casts later hooked up 2 what im guessin was a good frigate or small king, again as the lure was sinking off the cast. To cut a long story short: zzzzzzzzzzzzz twang :mad3: The braid cut through my flourocarbon leader at the joining knot, it has never been a problem for me before on flatties and bream but i think with the extra pressure applied by a faster fish it just sliced through it... I was using a blood knot, is a uni better for joining braid to mono? I think I matched the hatch today in terms of using the correct colour anyway as I have been there the last few days and just continuously get follows so I was kind of happy, but its the 2nd fish iv lost there in a week! I got a king a few days ago on a little jig on 4lb line and leader and it took me straight into the pylons.... Oh well theres always next time!

From what I have seen over the last few days down there more frigates and bonito are getting caught on unweighted baits then lures....

Try doing an improved albright to tie your leaders to the braid. Tied correctly this knot gives you a small profile and very strong joint.

Bugger about the fish... the kings there knows how to break your heart when they're near the pylons. Try locking up the drag and pull the fish out if possible, sometimes nothing can stop the it from going there.

Here's a site on how to tie an albright. I use the 2nd one(improved albright)

http://www.marlinnut.com/knots/albright.shtml

Edited by bmar560

Yeak Dicko the blood knot isn't a great way of joining braid to mono (although I had always believed this was due to the significant risk of slippage rather than the braid slicing through the mono).

Anyhow, bmar's advice on the allbright is good, and I know that there are many on this site who are massive fans of the double uni as the best way to join braid to mono (I use the allbright).

Losing fish to 'rig failure' is definitely painful, but it is a necessary part of the learning curve for some of us. I'm stubborn and foolish enough to continue to use risky rigging techniques right up to the point where I lose a good fish - and only then will I change.

With braid I always use a bimini twist (if I tie it at home i make it long enough to wind onto the reel)

to either to a swivel or straight to

the leader via a half blood knot/ improved clinch knot.

Check out here on how to tie a Bimini

http://www.worldseafishing.com/news/154/AR...2006-06-18.html

It looks hard - but if someone can show you how to tie it you'll get it first time its so easy to do,

and in 8 years of using it I've never had one fail.

Also if your braid needs to be cut - ie it goes around the prop on the boat

A bimini to bimini join is by far the best join to use

Jason