Burrendong 7th March

Mik

Hey Raiders

Got out today for the first time since my motor re-build & fitting of a trolling / back-up motor. :yahoo:

Weather looked a bit like rain for most of the day but we stayed dry & it was quite warm on the water. Water levels are still pretty low at Burrendong but they are certainly up since my last failed launch attempt. It was 2% then, today was 3% and main ramp had a lot more water over it so launching was a bit easier.

I mainly went out today to give the re-built 55hp a run & also to try out my new addition, 8hp trolling motor & steer arm.

post-3284-1173260091_thumb.jpg

But of course I threw in a lure “Just because I could” and ended up with one nice 35cm Silver Perch. Thankfully this one was worm free & I have given him a new home in my fridge. :biggrin2:

post-3284-1173260105_thumb.jpg

Both motors were terrific and I was especially impressed with the little 8hp Evinrude. We trolled at the spillway for those interested with the only fish caught on a yellow / black Jackel.

As a nice supplement to my re-launch I had my mother visiting from Wagga & her & my son had a nice day on the water at a leisurely “run-in” pace. Mum mentioned that she never imagined herself back in this boat (30 plus years old, used to be my Dad’s) least of all with her son & grandson. So it was a treat we all enjoyed.

I still haven't received my new sounder / gps yet (Have the transducer fitted & eagerly awaiting my new toy) :mad3:

Even for a weekday there were a few tinnies out & about. From what I hear around town there are still some decent hauls of Yellas. They have been hitting anything trolled well for several weeks now.

Hope ya’s all had a good day. Catch ya.

Good on ya Mik :thumbup::thumbup: ...Glad the old craft is back on the water again and your mother must have been thrilled

to see it put to good use again.

Good that you also scored a meal from the slowly filling lake again.

Also, that the worms haven't returned this time.

Hope you have many more happy years in the old girl and your son eventually inherits

what must be a very nice craft.

Cheers,

Pete.

Well done boofhead. What are the silver perch like to eat?

Cheers Jeff.

Mate they are very tasty. I think I prefer them over the Yella Bellies. But then again, I've only ever eaten 1 Yella & it was too big (3.2kg) which made it rather fatty. But yeah, Silvers are great on the plate mate. :thumbup:

Good on ya Mik :thumbup::thumbup: ...Glad the old craft is back on the water again and your mother must have been thrilled

to see it put to good use again.

Good that you also scored a meal from the slowly filling lake again.

Also, that the worms haven't returned this time.

Hope you have many more happy years in the old girl and your son eventually inherits

what must be a very nice craft.

Cheers,

Pete.

Thanks Pete. It was a real treat to have Ma on board.

As for the "Very Nice Craft" Well.......it will do me till I can afford the "Sunseeker" LOL which will be ....um....prolly never! :biggrin2:

Actually, seriously this boat is a little small for what I'd like to do but it certainly has some great memories. I will eventually grow to something bigger when I get more confident on the water & of course after we've bought our first house. (Unless :wife: somehow looses interest in keeping tabs on my spending :074: )

Glad the motor is running well , I have the same one . What work did you have done on it ? Also , I have the workshop manual for it if you need to know anything !!

Ross

Ross, I did some damage to one of the pistons. It picked up on the bore (Thankfully no damage to bore) Mechanic told me he thought he could get Evinrude pistions & rings so I'd only need one but after a thorough check he told me I had to go with after market (Brand escapes me) All in all it worked out ok as originally I thought I'd done some major damage.

I appears the fuel / oil was lacking a very important ingrediant, namley the oil! :ranting2:

Only have myself to blame I guess. I simply don't know how it happened but after seeing the guts of the old girl I have to agree it looked very dry...... Lesson learned, check everything 3 times, never trust anyone else to do your checks & never ever ever wear pink with green!

PS - would love to get hold of the manual sometime when I'm in the big smoke. But then I'd also love to catch up with any Raiders on the water too. Maybe I'll catch you at Easter? Going to Hawkesbury for the break I hope!

Edited by Boofhead