Outboard Help ?

Hounddog

Hi all, :biggrin2: I have a question that someone maybe able to answer, I have an "95" model Merc 60 hp that has always run like a dream. I have never had any major problems with it and have always kept it fully serviced and in prime condition. after its last run I was at home giving the motor the usuall flush out with fresh water ( :tease: before anyone jumps down my throat, I have a rainwater tank and pump ,luckily its been topped up with the recent rain, so lets not have a water shortage debate LOL ) anyway I noticed that the water coming from the 'telltale' was very hot, much more than usuall, its normally just warm. it was pumping out at normal pressure so there was no blockage. QUESTION ? Is this an indication of a looming problem? The oil resevoir was low at under a quarter but this seems to be indicating an internal problem ie thermostat, pump,possibly crankcase,Oh shit! so can someone give me some advice as I am going away soon for a weekend fishabout and would hate to breakdown in the middle of nowhere! Thanks in advance for any info :(:(

If your worried get it checked.

Especially if it has "changed" from what it normally is.

There was a bit of discussion (non agreement) on another forum on what the tell tale temp should be.

My 2000 model 115hp Merc is just above warm.

My 1999 model 15hp Merc is very warm-bordering hot.

They cycle slightly with the thermostat, but thats how they normally run i have found.

cheers

Rod

If your worried get it checked.

Especially if it has "changed" from what it normally is.

There was a bit of discussion (non agreement) on another forum on what the tell tale temp should be.

My 2000 model 115hp Merc is just above warm.

My 1999 model 15hp Merc is very warm-bordering hot.

They cycle slightly with the thermostat, but thats how they normally run i have found.

cheers

Rod

Hi Rod, so what you are saying is the themostat is possibly faulty ?

Hi Rod, so what you are saying is the themostat is possibly faulty ?

Probably too risky to say that for sure. I normally dont fiddle all that much with motors, but know enough to get by. You could try pulling the thermostat out and having a quick run. However you really need to get it in the river for a run up to normal load ..... or at least in a test tank where you can load the motor up by spinning the prop in some water. Ive never really done much fiddling, but Thermostats are normally pretty easy to do. You might need some new gaskets or some gasket goo.... im not too sure.

If the tell tale pressure is normal, it doesnt mean you dont have a blockage inside. The motor has a while series of "galleries" which are water chambers running around the cylinders. These can get blocked with salt and salt and other gunk. This will happen over time, even if the motor is flushed with fresh water every trip.

You can use a "infra red thermometer" (one of those point and shoot non contact types) and have run and test the outside temp of the engine block on both side of all the cylinders. You might find that one is running hotter and that might indicate where the problem is. MIGHT is the word !

Another thought .... if it was a hot day, had your tankwater been heated up ... to say 25-35 deg C in the sun ? Normal garden taps have pipes underground and would normally be 15-25 deg C. Or you have a long hose that water had heated up inside it.

Hi Rod, problem solved, :yahoo: pulled out the popper valve and thermostat, suprizingly there was not much salt build up for a 12year old motor. Valve still good but Thermo was seized, gave it a good cleanup and a bit of lubricant then did the dangle by a string test in heated water, worked like a charm. replaced with new gasket and grommet ran the motor up to full temp. alls good the telltale flow is good and temp luke warm same as normal. Thanks Rod, appreciate your time and help.

Thanks to Stewy and the guys to, for keeping the sight running, Its great to know there is always a "Raider" here willing to help other members with questions on any subject they need an anwer to.

Regards, Gary :thumbup:

Good to see that it is all sorterd now Gary,

As you say there are always plenty of raiders willing to help or share their experiences. :yahoo:

No worries .... good to see your running again :)

I had a 12-14 year old 120hp Evinrude that was running no thermostats .... it was just open. It didnt idle real good i think coz it was too cold ..... but with the thermostats in it would overheat !

I think it had some kind of internal blockage that we never fixed, but with open thermostats ran fine. Took a bit of fiddling around and water tests and trips back to the mechanic to sort it out. The mechanic was good to me and didnt charge for any of the extra work.

I ran it for another 6 years like that and it eventually died of old age. I think a ring let go inside. It was 20 years old so i got rid of it.