Clifton Gardens Still Firing 14/3/07

quintrex

Having launched at Tunks at 6.30am on Wed 14th I tried 3 spots for squid without success and then anchored 50metres NE of the white can at the Clifton Gardens naval facility. Out with the burley and down with lightly leaded line with a strip of frozen squid (caught 4 weeks ago). Within 15 minutes the reel (25 year old Penn Jigmaster) screams and my first Sydney Harbour kingfish is struggling for it's life. 2 more followed within 30 minutes all of which measured 61 cm so into the live fish tank. Later on after a struggle I brought to the surface not one but 2 kingies. The second was caught on the rig's stinger hook, so a double header! Unfortunately they only reached 58 cm so overboard they went to grow bigger. Things went quiet for some time until the reel screamed again but instead of the rat king I expected a trevally of 38cm emerged. It tasted great for dinner.

The fish tank of my topender kept the 3 KF and the trev alive until I reached the ramp after which they were despatched cleaned and ice boxed.

I don't understand why this area fishes so well for KF. There is no structure! Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

i asume because of the amout of squid there is in this area and the squid are becasue there is rocks and weed they where i would say is the spot for prawns and this wil follow on with the food chain but last sat i couldnt even get a squid except the one i caught at the boat ramp at five dock

Edited by sambo1