Decent Rod Holders

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

Had an incident last weekend. The old "rod over the side" occurred whilst chasing Kingys in the Harbour.

I have those plastic rail mount rod holders in my boat and they are the biggest piece of flimsy shit I have ever bought therfore, I don't use them but rather, restr the rod against the gunwale.

Apart from their flimsy construction of these substandard holders, once a King is hooked and taking drag, you have to fight with the holder to release the rod to enable the fight to commence. The butt of the rod becomes stuck in the back of the holder. It is very annoying.

Does anyone know of a decent commercially made stainless steel rod holder other than the flush mount type? Also, I would like to have the notch in the side which locks your reel in so that the outfit can't be dragged out of the holder and into the drink.

I have searched high and low on the net including overseas sites and found nothing suitable.

no no no of Fishabout Tours has rod holders which he had custom made with a notch and they work well but it is still hard to get your rod out once a fish is on.

I am toying with the idea of having a stainless fabricator construct a prototype.

Still, something "off the shelf" would be preferable. Any clues?

Cheers

Ceph

Mate I just picked up today 2 stainless steel rail mount tubular

rod holders from Fishfinder.They are well made and super strong.

Tony showed them to me in a catalogue and I ordered them, :thumbup:

penguin

post-1664-1174042735_thumb.jpg

post-1664-1174042753_thumb.jpg

Edited by penguin

Well me and my bud have Wattos rod holders on our boats, yes they are plastic although quite robust!(big word for a friday) not stainless and have worked fine. Also they have 3 different mounting options

have a search on Wattos.. see what ya think

cheers Twoducks

The best flush mount rod holders I have ever seen are on the bar-crusher boats, they a cast alloy and perfect for an alloy boat - strong and no corrosion issues.

Would like to get some but im sure they are not available after market.

Lot of the guys down here get there rod holders custom made (snapper racks) that mount into the existing rod hoders and wrap around the the back of the boat.

post-3790-1174109051_thumb.jpg

The best flush mount rod holders I have ever seen are on the bar-crusher boats, they a cast alloy and perfect for an alloy boat - strong and no corrosion issues.

Would like to get some but im sure they are not available after market.

Lot of the guys down here get there rod holders custom made (snapper racks) that mount into the existing rod hoders and wrap around the the back of the boat.

post-3790-1174109051_thumb.jpg

OMG :1yikes: what a set up.

U wouldnt use all them at once,it'd be tangle city.

Looks impresive though.

penguin

check these ones out

sold probably close to 500 WITH NO PROBLEMS

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ROD-HOLDER-ADJUSTAB...oQQcmdZViewItem

they come with all the mountig gear

only $20 for RAIDERS

Thanks Watto but I tried these and they are very difficult to get your rod out of when a Kingy is taking line under 5kgs of drag.... I am going to have some made I think. There just isn't any good ones out there. The design I have in mind will have a notch the retain the reel and be a deck mount. Will post pictures once the prototype is made.

Cheers

Ceph.

Stainless steel rod holders with counter sunk screws up to 50MM are the go! But not suitable if you want to move your rods/combos around the boat

Another fisho we know has bought 4 scotty lyons rod holders, an he lost the last one of them this arvo in front of greg with a screaming run ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Snap, off goes rods, reel, an rod holder. ie a demountable

D an G

Choose carefully

Stainless steel rod holders with counter sunk screws up to 50MM are the go! But not suitable if you want to move your rods/combos around the boat

Another fisho we know has bought 4 scotty lyons rod holders, an he lost the last one of them this arvo in front of greg with a screaming run ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Snap, off goes rods, reel, an rod holder. ie a demountable

D an G

Choose carefully

Mate,

You just read my mind. I was looking at the Scotty website yesterday and thinking that they looked OK. I was just about to post a question about them when I read your post...... thats it. No more plastic. I do not want to see the Stella 6000 and Millerod Bay Buster go into the drink... I would be heart broken. I have my concept drawing ready to send off to a Stanless fabricator..... stay tuned.