netic

top day out there oz we did well..

as we said those bust off sure do suck arse but dont worry we will

get that 1m+ kingy SOONER then LATER...

thanks for a TOP day out mate great fishing and plenty of laughs along the way

:thumbup::thumbup:

steve

hey crazy John,

the saltiga 4500 sounds lightweight compared to the gamefishing type gear Netic and Kelvin are using. I jig/spin with the Z4500, 30lb braid, 30lb shock leader. Makes short work of the rat kings, actually prefer my lighter setup with 15lb main, 20lb leader, because more fun. But with the Z4500 was hammered around buoys once or twice, using larger soft plastics a month ago when the kings were responding more to lures than they seem to be at the moment. I never was able to turn these fish, they headed deep towards the buoys and busted me off quickly.

RobMc

The saltiga 4500 is a top reel. The only problem is that the drag pressure you get out of it. It can hold about 8 kgs of drag which is fine for most fish but if you hook that BIG one it will be over real quick. Might need a pair of pliers to get more drag out of the reel to fish heavier line classes.

THe bigger kings are holding really tight to structure. I see them all the time on my sounder where ever I fish. The furuno is accurate enough to tell me roughly how big the fish are and it is interesting to see where the bigger fish sit. But in middle harbour we often get the larger fish out in the open and a reel like the 4500 really comes into its own.

FOr me however, the larger reels like the saltiga expedition and stella 20000 are more suitable. These reels can hold 15kg+ drag and still stay smooth. My saltiga expedition and stella are suddenly finding themselves in the deep end as my torsa is out of comission at the moment.

I guess the type of tackle you employ depends on how sporting you want to be. I find that with kings, it is better to land them rather than lose them. If you hook a small fish then it is better to land it quick and release it in the best condition. I saw a bloke fishing yesterday with light gear and it took 15 minutes to land a fish. It was only a rat and undersized but a fight this long will mean that the fish's chance of survival is lower than a fight lasting 2 minutes. Just my thoughts. Cheers kelvin

top day out there oz we did well..

as we said those bust off sure do suck arse but dont worry we will

get that 1m+ kingy SOONER then LATER...

thanks for a TOP day out mate great fishing and plenty of laughs along the way

:thumbup::thumbup:

steve

Mate it was definately fun to say the least.......funny how the trip started with us all sleeping while at anchor...

I have finger cuts everywhere......

Great to see you get your PB and hopefully next week you will beat that aswell....

Always find your thoughts interesting. For me fishing in Sydney harbour has undergone a paradigm shift. 2 yrs ago when chasing a few bream left over after the pros had decimated the shoals I would have laughed if told of the things happening now. I'm still catching up, just wish I had more time to get out there.

RobMc

I never thought I would be REGULARLY busted up on 80lb tackle in sydney!!!! Used to think all the flash gear used by the guys in the fishing magazines were for fishing in the tropics....never did I think I would be using the same tackle that they use on the great barrier reef here in sydney harbour!!!

kicking out the commercial operators has been like turning the clock back 30 years. The pros are still working the areas outside the harbour mercilessly but atleast it is giving us a chance at catching a few fish. Cheers Kelvin