Sydney Kings.....17/03/07

netic

Hey guys,

as scheduled we hit the harbour today to chase down some kingys, Sal, Big Steve and myself set off from rose bay ramp at about 5.00am and as per usual we bumped into Tri (peking Duck)..quick chat we were both gone.....

None of us had any sleep so we pulled up at our squid spot and power napped for an hour or so.....

Woke up to see the sun was up and we started squidding and we ended up getting 6 in an hour or so.....

Decided we might venture around the markers first and bumped into The offtap crew there......we pulled 2 rats from there and decided to move on as they were both undersized...

Went to the Tripod near neilsen and found some just legals and caught a few there....heres an action pick of sal catching a rat.

then we decided to head to a area that has worked well for us for the past 2 weeks....

That is were the fun and dissapointment started......Peking was there and we were both working the area....

Then my Shperos goes off and then straight after Sals torsa........

My rods screams...i lock the drag and the thing still screams then poped...leader snapped.....80lb mind you...

Anyway Sal is still on and he calls it for a bigger one.....after a short and furious fight Sal brings a nice 83cm king to the boat......

Im still upset at my lost fish.......

Anyway....we rigg up again and send down another 2 baits.....

Not even five minutes passes when steve's Stella goes off.....drag screaming and steve just holding on Sal steps up and tightens his drag for him...Steve is on.....he has a very tight tussle with this beast but eventually boats a nice fat 87cm king...His PB....great stuff....

We goe off again and i now tell them i dont care which rod gets hit its mine....we go for about 1 minute and bang......drag sreams out.....i grabbed the rod and im on.....i get him off the floor and he goes back...i gret him off again and h goes back...finally i get him close enough to see colour and he runs again.....then POP.....My braid has snapped on locking the Drag.....100lb tuna terror...damn braid.....Im quite sure Peking got a good photo of this fight as he was only a few metres away during the struggle.....anyway....Kings 2...Oz...0....

We go down again and start downrigging....and then bang.....it hits and it runs straight against my motor......i grab the rod and see my line is rubbing on the motor.....

I yell.....and i mean yell "turn the boat to the right" but nobody is at the wheel as i was driving when we got hit...steve runs to the wheel and he fought i said turn the motor off so he turns it off and the fish reaches the reef and busts me up....

This hit was extremely hard.....i have never seen my rod bend like that before......When i yell everyone within 500 metres heard it....Shit happens....by now we are out of squid so we go and get some more and find 3 more in an hour....

Go back to the area to find that the kings had moved on.......

We back to the markers and caught another few just legals and came home...

Great day for steve and sal but shit day for me as i got busted up 3 times and couldnt land a hoodlum which im positive the last one was.

Guest IFishSick.

Well you can't get em all the time can you. That's what makes fishing so good. It's a struggle even to get the fish let alone land them.

It'll make that next Hoodlum all that much better!

Good to see you guys again Oz, Steve and Sal.

We were a few metres away when you hooked onto that hoodlum. Didn't it go hard . I think every boat in the vicinity felt your pain as your line parted.

Got a pic just as it busted you off. Won't post it though cos it gives a little too much away. I'll email it to you on Monday. The pure look of agony on your face is priceless.

Without a downrigger our squid kept on getting ripped by pickers and we only got throwback kings, so thanks for giving us one of yours. 86cm it was. You are a champ.

hey guys,

good to see you Netic and offtap on the water.

I lost 2 fish today and landed 3.

the 3 fish landed were 81cm, 67cm and 61cm.

lost a fish close to 70 on the side of the boat and the second fish lost was another story..

i downrigged a good size squid on my saltiga 6500 on a 40-60lb G loomis bluewater rod.

The rod is the strongest spinning reel G Loomis produce and it's made to fight tuna offshore.

i got a hit on that rod and i've never seen it bend like that before.

The 81cm king did not take line off 12kg drag, it was skull dragged to the boat.

This fish ran deep, the rod bent like you wouldnt believe and my leader popped.

i think it was a shark, if this fish was a king it has to be over 15kg... my thoughts only.

anyway guys, a pic off the biggest king i got will be sent in a tick

Netic sorry to hear of your losses.

You must have the s&^#% at the moment.

What kind of knots are you using?

What kind and make of leader and line are you using?

Are you using a swivel and if so what kind is it?

cheers

inhlanzi

Hey buddy.....mate knots are nothing to worry about...its not the not thats coming apart...this babys are reaching the reef......My knots have should the test against Marlin and big Yellow fin tuna and up to 200kg Mako's.

These fish arent about your tackle....we have top notch gear with heavy lines and leader but these bigger kings will beat you most of the time........

They smash you with absolute power.............and then they run straight to a reef with headshakes all the way.

Edited by netic

Hey buddy.....mate knots are nothing to worry about...its not the not thats coming apart...this babys are reaching the reef......My knots have should the test against Marlin and big Yellow fin tuna and up to 200kg Mako's.

These fish arent about your tackle....we have top notch gear with heavy lines and leader but these bigger kings will beat you most of the time........

They smash you with absolute power.............and then they run straight to a reef with headshakes all the way.

Know the feeling well Oz but I think I now have the artillery to match these guys. Have been picking up some of the larger fish lately.

BTW my torsa packed it in the other day. Getting repaired as the main bearing failed from the abuse it was getting in my hands. Just love our kings here in Sydney!!!

I am going with spinning reels with the heavy drag as they seem to be handling it better. The stella and the saltiga are standing up really well...now that I have the braid issues sorted.

Congrats to Steve on his PB. I hope my little tips worked . That picture of Sal is a classic!!!CHeers Kelvin

Know the feeling well Oz but I think I now have the artillery to match these guys. Have been picking up some of the larger fish lately.

BTW my torsa packed it in the other day. Getting repaired as the main bearing failed from the abuse it was getting in my hands. Just love our kings here in Sydney!!!

I am going with spinning reels with the heavy drag as they seem to be handling it better. The stella and the saltiga are standing up really well...now that I have the braid issues sorted.

Congrats to Steve on his PB. I hope my little tips worked . That picture of Sal is a classic!!!CHeers Kelvin

As you know Kelvin these bastards can really smash you up...even though it is a short fight.......

The second i thought i had under control but he wanted one last shot and he got his freedom........

I really need to get some quality braid on my spinning gear........

Got to admit though.....The sound of the stella drag is amazing....when steves one went for a run it sounds like music.........sweetest sounding drag i have heard.....

Good to hear you have been nailing some of the bigguns

My stella has outlived the torsa by a LONG margin and the saltiga is going pretty strong.

How much drag are you guys putting on your reels? I routinely put 15kgs on both the stella and the saltiga. These reels handle this with utter ease. Hardly any king takes line off these settings. Most fish to about 80-90cm is dragged straight to the boat. ONly when they are near the boat do I ease off the drag.

Tony who has become an excellent fisho ( with a bit of tuition ) was a bit surprised at how much even 10 kgs of drag was as I measure it precisely with scales. With 15 kgs of drag you shouldn't have too many fish peeling off line.

ALso the stella and the saltiga are great reels to crank the fish in especially at the beginning of the fight. They have the gearing to make it effortless . They are like deck winches. Tried the new Daiwa saltiga dogfight but the higher gearing made it too hard to get the kings off structure. Stuck with my saltiga expedition and stella 20000.

I find pumping and winding a king close to structure is one of the best ways to lose the bastards. I have been saying it to people for years but you don't pump and wind the king unless it is off the structure. I think Steve starling writes about this in the current issue of modern fishing.

As for braid, as you know Oz there are some really crap stuff out there. But the daiwa sensor braid with the 8 ply weave in 60lb has been working really well for me. Breaks closer to 80lbs. Very abrasion resistent for braid.Very expensive however.

Iron braid has also been fantastic. A bit cheaper as it has less weave but a good work horse. I also got some IGFA rated braid from daiwa. THis stuff WILL break at its stated breaking strain. I use the 60lb stuff and have not had problems. ALso an 8 weave braid with good abrasion resistence.

I have been using siglon low viz fluorocarbon in 77lbs as leader. Upped it from the ususal 50lb seaguar. This stuff is like steel. Extremely tough but hard to knot. Better to crimp it.Also expensive at over a dollar a meter. Caught several large sharks on it and they couldn't bite it through!!!Have not lost a king on this leader yet. Apparantly they don't have any more :1badmood: WHy is it that when they have a good product, they stop bringing it. CHeers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

sorry to hear about the hood that got away dude.

after reading the reports im totally stoked i got myself a saltiga combo,reel is a saltiga 4500 and yes oz i went and changed the rod with the gimble part on the bottom.

im dying to test it out esp after kelvin has stated that saltiga is the go.

im READYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

might hit the harbour during the week.

guys you gotta be happy with those results.

you guys still did well. :thumbup:

Good work Guys,

I wasnt as lucky with the kings but I was lukcy enough to get some squid. So calamari rings for me now :)

See you next week

Squidboy

Was wondering how you went.......i noticed that your rods are nopw strapped to the boat....smart idea after the trip when you lost your gear

Sum nice fish there fellas congrats on da 87cm kingy steve and thanks for givin it to us we've cut it up ready for the bbq tonite cats scared to go near the thing his to scared of it lol anyways congrats fellas nice catch.

Tom

Mate do you like the straps???

Theres no way in the world Im getting my gear swallowed by Sydney Harbour Kings again. I lost my famous Ottos hat that day so if anyone finds it Ill like my good luck hat back!!!

squid have been scare in Sydney Harbour, but next weekend Ill be looking forward to my new delivery of an electic motor and Ill show those squid who is boss!

Great catch guys, and I hope to be there next weekend when I get bak from work, if not, save me a few hoodlums!!!

:1prop:

hey John,

The Saltiga has been working great.

I landed 80-90 cm kings and they felt close to 60cm kings, just slower head thumps and a little heavier.

I fish heavy as im sick of losing the bigguns. 9 out of 10 fish dont take drag... the one out of 10 im losing.

tony

Hey guys,

as scheduled we hit the harbour today to chase down some kingys, Sal, Big Steve and myself set off from rose bay ramp at about 5.00am and as per usual we bumped into Tri (peking Duck)..quick chat we were both gone.....

None of us had any sleep so we pulled up at our squid spot and power napped for an hour or so.....

Woke up to see the sun was up and we started squidding and we ended up getting 6 in an hour or so.....

Decided we might venture around the markers first and bumped into The offtap crew there......we pulled 2 rats from there and decided to move on as they were both undersized...

Went to the Tripod near neilsen and found some just legals and caught a few there....heres an action pick of sal catching a rat.

then we decided to head to a area that has worked well for us for the past 2 weeks....

That is were the fun and dissapointment started......Peking was there and we were both working the area....

Then my Shperos goes off and then straight after Sals torsa........

My rods screams...i lock the drag and the thing still screams then poped...leader snapped.....80lb mind you...

Anyway Sal is still on and he calls it for a bigger one.....after a short and furious fight Sal brings a nice 83cm king to the boat......

Im still upset at my lost fish.......

Anyway....we rigg up again and send down another 2 baits.....

Not even five minutes passes when steve's Stella goes off.....drag screaming and steve just holding on Sal steps up and tightens his drag for him...Steve is on.....he has a very tight tussle with this beast but eventually boats a nice fat 87cm king...His PB....great stuff....

We goe off again and i now tell them i dont care which rod gets hit its mine....we go for about 1 minute and bang......drag sreams out.....i grabbed the rod and im on.....i get him off the floor and he goes back...i gret him off again and h goes back...finally i get him close enough to see colour and he runs again.....then POP.....My braid has snapped on locking the Drag.....100lb tuna terror...damn braid.....Im quite sure Peking got a good photo of this fight as he was only a few metres away during the struggle.....anyway....Kings 2...Oz...0....

We go down again and start downrigging....and then bang.....it hits and it runs straight against my motor......i grab the rod and see my line is rubbing on the motor.....

I yell.....and i mean yell "turn the boat to the right" but nobody is at the wheel as i was driving when we got hit...steve runs to the wheel and he fought i said turn the motor off so he turns it off and the fish reaches the reef and busts me up....

This hit was extremely hard.....i have never seen my rod bend like that before......When i yell everyone within 500 metres heard it....Shit happens....by now we are out of squid so we go and get some more and find 3 more in an hour....

Go back to the area to find that the kings had moved on.......

We back to the markers and caught another few just legals and came home...

Great day for steve and sal but shit day for me as i got busted up 3 times and couldnt land a hoodlum which im positive the last one was.

just brilliant mate :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::thumbup::thumbup: