Just Out Of Curiosity ... Hook Sz, Line Strength

stylo

I have a 4kg rod ... was just thinking what size hook I should use if chasing Kingies off wharfs etc.

Would I use gang hooks for the squid / Octopus ?

Thanks

Ah found a great link on google ...

Edited by stylo

mate you would probably use a 4/0 or 5/0 live bait hook.....Or you can run a 2 hook rig with a live bait keeper hook and a treble stinger hook

Awesome, thanks ...

What would you recommend for rod and reel combo? Somehow I don't think my 4 kilo rod will be up to the task ..

Goin after Kings, you REALLY need a boat don't you, but I am sure it can be done off wharfs etc...

This is what I got form a site ...

* line strength of 8 kilos (20lbs) minimum obviously a rod to suit ...

* hook size 3/0 6/0

Awesome, thanks ...

What would you recommend for rod and reel combo? Somehow I don't think my 4 kilo rod will be up to the task ..

Goin after Kings, you REALLY need a boat don't you, but I am sure it can be done off wharfs etc...

This is what I got form a site ...

* line strength of 8 kilos (20lbs) minimum obviously a rod to suit ...

* hook size 3/0 6/0

Mate if your going landbased to catch kings say 60-80cm i would recommend something like a baitrunner 4500 with 20-30lb line......Match up with a half decent rod...probably like a backbone or something.....

That outfit would handle them no sweat

Guest IFishSick.

5/0 Live Bait hook with a 6/0 - 8/0 Circle Hook, depending on the size of the Squid/Yakka

Depending on the gear you have, you can manage with 15lb line for legal Kingfish. Just won't tackle the big ones.

MMM ... Baitrunner 4500 looks the goods .. Which rod (and rating) do you think of the Shimano Backbone series ? 6-10 kilo or 15-24 kilo ?

I will be fishing landed mainly, so I would think 7ft over a 6'6 stick ..

Looks like I will be going shopping for more gear this weekend ! :beersmile:

Guest IFishSick.

LB?

Go with the longest and strongest rod you can get mate.

Shimano:

Raider Snapper raider, 7"6' 5-8kg

Starlo Stix Snapper H, 7" 6-10kg

Backbone 70 Snapper, 7" 6-10kg

• 4 weeks later...

OK .... Got a new reel (Shimano Ultegra 4000) and it is pre-spooled with some 14lb fireline. This is from an earlier post of mine:

1. mono backing

2. double uni / albright knot

3. wind on tightly

4. braid 3 mm to the lip to prevent wind knots

5. 1-1.5m mono leader with a double uni / albright knot to braid past the first guides

6. sinker

7. swivel

8. trace

9. hook

What size mono leader and trace should I be using for this if chasing bigger fish ?

I have been advised to get the shimano snapper raider 7"6' 2 piece 6-8kilo $160 (graphite) or an ugly stik 7" 6-10 kilo 2 piece for $99 (combo). Unfortunately not many in 2 piece

What do you guys reckon

Edited by stylo

OK .... Got a new reel (Shimano Ultegra 4000) and it is pre-spooled with some 14lb fireline. This is from an earlier post of mine:

1. mono backing

2. double uni / albright knot

3. wind on tightly

4. braid 3 mm to the lip to prevent wind knots

5. 1-1.5m mono leader with a double uni / albright knot to braid past the first guides

6. sinker

7. swivel

8. trace

9. hook

What size mono leader and trace should I be using for this if chasing bigger fish ?

I have been advised to get the shimano snapper raider 7"6' 2 piece 6-8kilo $160 (graphite) or an ugly stik 7" 6-10 kilo 2 piece for $99 (combo). Unfortunately not many in 2 piece

What do you guys reckon

mate the snapper raider is a decent rod, but you should be able to do a lot better than $160.

Hey mate

Go the backbone!! But go the 6-10kgs. I have a 10kgs BB elite thats is really rated to 15kgs, an a rat of 60-70cm, barely puts a bent in it. Loads up beautifully on bigger fish :biggrin2: ,,,,,,,,, But havent landed anything decent on it YET! On its a TLD 20 2speed.

Dan (D&G)

PS dont get a 15-24kg stick, its a deadset overkill,,, an I learnt with such a rod, too hard a strike, with tight drag setting(skull dragger) an snap goes the rod. bugga!

Edited by Dan and Greg

I did much better on the snapper raider :)

I looked at the backbone and although that was a winner, I really need a 2 piece seeing as I have a tiny hatchback !

(I could always trade for a 4wd huh ...)