Pt Kembla Monday 19/3

Thunder

I went out again in the 9m Kevalcat around Pt Kembla. We were going to go off the shelf, but the weather report from the Coastguard said 20knot southerly winds were going to hit, so we trolled around the islands most of the day and did a bit of bottom bashing.

It was very calm early, and only got calmer as the day went on - ie like glass. So much for the 20 knot southerly. :1badmood:

post-2813-1174373879_thumb.jpg

Caught a few bonnies, a snapper, 3kg cuttlefish, heaps of red rock cod, and a parrot fish.

post-2813-1174374862_thumb.jpg

We tried drifting near one of the islands while we had lunch and put out a couple of floaters and had a steady stream of chopped pillies as well as the heads and shells from the big tiger prawns we were eating for lunch. Not even a whiff of a bite.

The water ended up being as still as a millpond. You could have fished a kayak out there it was so calm.

post-2813-1174374175_thumb.jpg

We were spewing as we could have been fishing the shelf.

post-2813-1174374960_thumb.jpg

Looks like I may be going out with him every second Monday, so hopefully we catch the big one next time!!!

Cheers

Greg

Here is a picture of the boat being towed up Mt Ousley - note the car next to the boat

post-2813-1174375120_thumb.jpg

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that.

Being new to this area, I need some GPS marks so we know where to fish.

Maybe you and Nectic can help me out.

The skipper/owner loves trolling as he gets sea sick.

He even stuck a line in the water for about 15 minutes yesterday!!!

He doesn't like the idea of drifting/anchoring a $250,000 boat next to the rocks, just in case a freak wave comes. So the only chance of getting a Kingie is on a lure trolling next to the Islands.

He just loves driving the boat - I can't blame him though, but I would rather catch fish than steer the boat at slow speed. Flat out is another thing.

Cheers

Greg

Well done mate.....those are some calm conditions......

Mate i also dont have any marks for PK...i usually fish the islands when im down that way...i will sound out till i find the kings and then drop the livie on top of them...has worked well for me....

BUt you also have the option of heading out to the beacon there where you might get dollies and Striped Tuna etc...

Well done mate.....those are some calm conditions......

Mate i also dont have any marks for PK...i usually fish the islands when im down that way...i will sound out till i find the kings and then drop the livie on top of them...has worked well for me....

BUt you also have the option of heading out to the beacon there where you might get dollies and Striped Tuna etc...

We were going to head out to the beacon, but I didn't have the marks with me this time (I had them last time but it was too rough and too much current).

I think he wants to go to the Canyons off Kiama, but I need the marks for that as well.

The weather was so smooth we could have headed for NZ and checked out the fishing there.

At one stage he said it was about 2 hours to Narooma, but we had to work the next day and it was getting late at that stage.

I'm itching to get out wide in her and try for some bigger prey.

Cheers

Greg