Clifton Gardens 20/3/07

PPSGT

Hi Raiders!,

Got a late invite to go on a fellow fishraider Stipo's boat last night - Checking the TV schedule

its only re-runs of Law & Order on Foxtel, But I have to weigh up missing what thas "Hooked" on Aurora....

Its gets repeated at 1.30 am or on Sat.... So no problems there!

Leave work at 5 pm, with the rain and lightning just starting and fight the lane cove traffic

and head to the servo to pick up some more prime bait.

Disaster they've sold out! On Thurs the freezer had 8 blocks in it. I hope other raiders arent raiding

my bait supply :)

So the only hope is risk life and limb and try and do a u-turn on Burns Bay rd and get to the Woolworths

Servo across the road - not for the faint hearted .

Now these pillies looked in prime condition - freezer burnt, full of frozen blood/water and definately

had been left overnight in an unplugged freezer at some stage of their life. The kings are gonna love em!

Then I have to wait for 10 minutes in line to pay for them as some girl has filled her tank of petrol and forgotten her eftpos pin..... yeah right :)

Got down to the water met Stipo and we were off to Clifton Gardens.

Arrive at the big white can, no one else there so we throw some pillies over the side and wait for

the action. A few nice bream are boated, and about 5 mins later another boat pulls up and anchors on

top of us and right into out burley trail... So we end up having to re anchor, then re anchor again as the

water was too shallow and we were only pulling bream.

We got back into the deeper water, more burley was thrown out and five minutes later I'm hooked up.

The fish is taking line - but the cheap mono is uncoiling of the spool faster than the fish is taking it. I respooled it the night before but Sally wasnt to keen on holding the spool while I put it on the reel,

so I just put it on without any pressure with the intent of trailing it behind the boat and winding it back on....

But got distracted talking to Stipo about his boat - Its a great fishing rig!

( I have just found a gadget on Ebay that replaces the need for Sally to hold the mono spool on a pencil

between too pieces of cardboard. Its only $14.95! But then what would I do with Sally? I dont think I'd get

$14.95 for her on Ebay? so I'd be out of pocket! - And it wouldnt hang off the line and act like

a fish when I'm testing my drag settings in the lounge - room she's a Drama teacher...what can I say

- So I think I'll stick with Sally for now :)

So i'm feeding the line out by hand off the reel until all the loops are gone and the fish finally loads up

and starts taking some drag.

After a short fight a 61cm king is landed - its deep gill hooked so its put into the kill tank destined

to be the centre piece of a BBQ Stipo is having later in the week.

The guy next to us also caught a kingfish rang his mates and now there was 4 boats near us,

they also had a full bag of bream as they were really thick. As it got dark the tailor come on thick and

fast - I not sure if was the darkness or the Arabic Dance music played at full volume from the boat

next to us that was turning the tailor on, but but what ever is was we couldnt drift a pillie down without hooking a tailor or being bitten off by one. So we pulled the pick and left.

With only a hour of sunlight when we arrived, and having to re anchor we were up against it to get into

the kings. When we arrived they were thick on the sounder, when we left its was only Tailor and

bream showing.

The one caught was stuffed full of hardy heads. We even pulled a couple out of it mouth and used

them as bait. We both hooked a couple kings that spat the bait out as soon as weight was applied

as they are only mouthing the bait. The one I caught took off with the bait 4 times, and spat it

out everytime I pulled the line before hooking up.

And between us we probably landed 20 bream and tailor all of a good size. All released - One tailor was

going to be put out as a livie, but I was holding it in the bucket near the edge of the boat while

Stipo went and got his bigger gear. It did a single lap of the bucket then launched about 5 feet in the

air cleared the transom and nose dived into the water

I gave it 9/10 for technical skill and 8/10 for entry - very little splash

With Day light savings ending soon and the sunset now at 7pm ( 6pm after daylight savings) the after

work Clifton Garden sessions are almost at an end..... Except I might start having a few 2.30pm "doctors"

appointments... :1prop:

Thanks for the invite Stipo - you've got a top "little" fishing boat

Jason

Edited by PPSGT

Hi mate, we were at Clifton yesterday arvo and left just as it

was getting dark and stormy.

We heard that terrible music played at full blast also,

we were about 100mtrs from the white can and it drove us nuts.

Nice report by the way :thumbup:

penguin

Sounds like a nice session mate, those woolies pillies cant have been 2 bad!!

Just out of interest big were the tailor (havnt caught a legal for moths!)

Hey penguin was that you anchored off the navy wharf in that awsome boat, two blokes fishin off the back?

Edited by KingsRule

I know why you didn't catch loads of kings, Jason - you didn't take the time and effort to catch your pillies from your tried-and-tested servo :biggrin2: . Well done on the other species and the just-legal king, though - sounds like you had some good fun! :thumbup:

Flattieman.

Once again Jason a top report.

Well done on the kingy. :thumbup:

I am already waiting for your next report.

You had better get to the doctor soon mate. :074: Your looking a little bit sick :puke::074:

The fish is taking line - but the cheap mono is uncoiling of the spool faster than the fish is taking it. I respooled it the night before but Sally wasnt to keen on holding the spool while I put it on the reel,

so I just put it on without any pressure with the intent of trailing it behind the boat and winding it back on....

great reprot mate ...

Listen whenever i rig my line i stick the line in the sink or a bucket of water and spool it on holding it with my hand to rod to keep it reasonably tite if i do it like that i never get tangles if your hands arnt up to the line running throuigh them you can always use a wet rag to put betwwen yoour hands and the line and rod ....works a treat no :wife: needed ...save you $14 too

Edited by K1ngf1sher