Abu 7000

jewnut

hi raiders,

ive got a Abu 7000 overhead (dark blue) thats about 10 years old but from memory only used it about half a dozen times. The drag has become extremely sticky (i probably left the drag screwed up all those years ago) and i was just wondering if there is an upgrade kit available for them cause id like to start using it again.

appreciate any advice.

cheers.

Edited by jewnut

hi raiders,

ive got a Abu 7000 overhead (dark blue) thats about 10 years old but from memory only used it about half a dozen times. The drag has become extremely sticky (i probably left the drag screwed up all those years ago) and i was just wondering if there is an upgrade kit available for them cause id like to start using it again.

appreciate any advice.

cheers.

Had the same situation with an abu 6500. Just follow the info on the link and in 20 minutes it will be as good as new. http://www.fishraider.com.au/articles/drag-system/. worked for me.

Jewnut

Don't use grease! (Sorry Johno)

Take it apart until you get to the drag and lay the washers out in order. Wash them in petrol (not 2-stroke!) and dry thoroughly. Get a sheet of very fine emery paper..the black stuff 1000 grit or so, some powder graphite (locksmith) and a marker pen.

Colour in the metal washers on both sides with marker then on a flat surface ... glass is best... rub the washers in a circular motion until the marker has gone. Lightly do the same with the graphite washers. Re-assemble with a sprinkle of graphite between each surface.

Re-build the reel with a little light grease on other moving parts.

Sounds like a lot of work but takes a hour in front of the telly and the drag will be as good as an erskine kit. And more to the point the satisfaction of the drag working beautifully is great.

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...

thanx for the reply chris,

didnt get to all erskine so youve inspired me to give it a go over the weekend, hopefully i dont stuff the thing up entirely :wacko:

Little tip.

When rubbing washers on wet/dry. get a little rubber washer, or something. It wears the skin off tip of your finger..Where it sticks through hole in drag washers.

Macka17

Its a no - no washing parts in petrol as it contains benzene, a known carcinogen. It is also likey to leave an oily residue which won't help the drag performance. White spirits is a better solvent to use.