Cuttlefish

galvin

Mate.......

Cutlefish in my opinion are prime baits! i thought the same when i first caught some! wasn't sure if they were any good so i droped a live one down and b4 i even set the rod it was off like a rocket zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz unfortunatly this fish beat me it was unstopable!!!! :wacko: but caught plenty of kings on strips of cutlefish!!! :biggrin2:

Dan.

Guest IFishSick.

Is that so? Might keep them next time I get onto them.

I usually let them go and exchange them for Squid.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm cuttlefish!

Never ever bring them aboard if you wanna keep your boat clean :074::074: . Learnt this the first time when we dragged a 6kgs effort aboard! Very messy :biggrin2:

Bloody good bait too. Nutting I know will pass on a cuttlefish. An if prefer not to keep them when you get a big breeder, at least cut a tentactle, it will wiggle for hours! An ANYY fish will go nuts over this!

D & G

thanks... heaps of help. im heading to hawksbury in couple of weeks on a house boat for 6 nights, lots of :1fishing1: and :beersmile: .. stocking up on some bait.. thats great i can now add the cuttlefish..

cheers livebait!!

Edited by live bait!!

thanks... heaps of help. im heading to hawksbury in couple of weeks on a house boat for 6 nights, lots of :1fishing1: and :beersmile: .. stocking up on some bait.. thats great i can now add the cuttlefish..

cheers livebait!!

Hope you have a great trip mate!

Looking forward to your post on your return

Cheers,

Grant.

P.S where are you thinking of anchoring up on the houseboat?

Hope you have a great trip mate!

Looking forward to your post on your return

Cheers,

Grant.

P.S where are you thinking of anchoring up on the houseboat?

mate i have no idea where ever the jews are.. we went last year stayed around jerusalem and entrance to cowan creek no jews but couple big flatties.. this year hopefully a different story i have learnt alot more tricks of the trade now... cant wait to let loose

cheers livebait

The small ones (length of your hand and smaller) I freeze whole. Two hook rig once thawed under a float off the rocks works well for kingies. I skin them first to let the scent out and make them more visible.

Live cuttlies with a downrigger work great on kingies. I heard Pete L from Pittwater say they can be better than live squid as they produce more ink to excite the kingies.

kingy

I caught one at Pt Kembla that would have been about 3kg.

The shell was around 10" long.

A bit big for live bait, so I chopped off a tentacle for bait and let him go - luckily no ink was squirted.

The tentacle got me a nice snapper.

Cheers

Greg

Mate cuttle fish are a even better bait then squid....when we catch the smallies....around 15cm we whack them down and they only last a very short while...always get hit before the squid

Cuttle fish strips are awsome for trolling on the hooks of your lures ive caught bonnito and kingfish on them. the kingies love them once you find a patch of them we where just dropping in with only cuttle strips and the kingies where smashin them. There good cause there tuff

Use the candles and tentacles for bait, the guts and skin and inc sacs for burley, the giant slab of firm white meat, you keep that cut it against the grain, in to squares, score it with a criss cross patern, soak in kiwi fruit and lemon juice in the fride for about half an hour and coat in cornflour, salt, pepper and a pinch of curry powder, uding beaten egg white as your glue. You'll think twice about ever throwing one back, tastes so good with the kingy or snapper you just caught using the rest off it as bait/burley.

I'm with Kelvin great bait but they can wrap themselves round and bite as you are holding the body (unlike squid).

On the weekend I caught a couple. When baiting the first one it wrapped around and bit me, as I pulled away the Mustard Big Gun hook lodged in my hand, I had to reluctantly cut the leader and drop the culttle back into the tank so I could deal with the hook. So much for the first bait of the day.

The small ones in the harbour stay alive much more easily than squid, they also stay alive on the hook well.

The really big ones are also good bait. The best bait of all are the candles (the long tentatcles with suckers on the end, on big cuttles these can be over 60cm long). The candles are awsome jew and snapper bait, too good to waste on kings.

In the next couple of months big breeding cuttles will die and float to the surface inshore, unfortunately the albatroses and snapper usually get to the candles first.

PS: Cast a bait/plastic at the cuttle before you pick it up, big snapper are known to hang beneath them even in 50mtrs of water.

Enjoy,

Southerly