Winter In The Hawkesbury System

kw367

Hey Raiders,

I've recently returned to fishing fairly regularly, due to my son's interest, having not done so for about twenty years. I've talked to a few people who say that the fishing gets quieter in the winter months. I plan to fish through winter as much as possible, and was wondering if fellow raiders could suggest what fish to target in the Hawkesbury system during the colder period. (We don't care if we only get tiddlers, as long as we get something!) We normally fish anywhere from Berowra to Cowan Creeks, but I wouldn't mind trying further upstream (Wisemans Ferry to Windsor), as there won't be so many ski boats during winter.

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Edited by kw367

Fishing the Hawkesbury of a winter time seems to be one on the best seasons for me. Any of the normal species that you will find in summer you will find in winter (plus a few extras), Jews, Kings, Salmon, Bream, Whitting, Flatties, Tailor, Hairtail etc. Over the past 10 years 5 years (or so) the Hairtail numbers have decreased dramatically. Cowan used to be the best place to get them but the trawllers always scoop them up before they even get a chance to get into this part of the system. They are still there and still in ok numbers but you need to know where to look. Any of the deep areas (Jerusulam, Smiths, Coal and Candle, Cottage Point etc) of the system and of a night is your best bet with a yellowtail or something similar. Fish this on about a 4kg outfit and your in buisness.

If your only after smaller fish (though lots of them) then pump some yabbies (or use whatever bait you have) and head to any of the mud flats. Here you will get whitting, Tailor, Bream and Flatties.

Fishing in winter can be tough so fresh bait (while not a must) definantly will get you alot more fish than frozen stuff. Winter is also my favourite time for chasing Bream and EP's on soft plastics.

Cheers,

Fletcher

Guest Aussie007
Those Hairtail are weird things, my father in-law caught a 15kg, 1.8m monster at Brooklyn in only 6m of water.Went back to the same spot the next weekend and caught another 3 smaller ones.This was only about a month ago.
my cousin hooked what look to be a hair tail a few years back at the f3 bridge it bit the tip of my rod clean off :mad3: we were contemplating wtf to do with it once we seen its teeth up side the boat :1yikes: Edited by gazza

Thanks for all your help raiders, it's given me renewed confidence. I might even get PJ into Luderick fishing. I used to love chasing them as a teenager! I think PJ would enjoy the whole float fishing experience, and even though he's only 5, I think I could teach him the finer points. As for hairtail, I can just imagine the look on his face if we ever catch one! :1yikes:

Thanks for all your help raiders, it's given me renewed confidence. I might even get PJ into Luderick fishing. I used to love chasing them as a teenager! I think PJ would enjoy the whole float fishing experience, and even though he's only 5, I think I could teach him the finer points. As for hairtail, I can just imagine the look on his face if we ever catch one! :1yikes:

Mate, I'm not the fisherman that most authors to your replies can claim, but if the hairtale are on........... don't wait till next week as they most probably will be gone. I suspect the trawlers.

The biggest Bream I have ever caught was in winter at "The Vines" ie. Get a Map.

You won't really need to worry about the above advise because if your kid is anything like my three, the bait grounds at West Head will have him absolutely beside himself! When the're really on, I found my kids on the Eastern side of the boat catching them; and me re-baiting hooks and tossing them overboard on the Western side!!!!!!!!!!(I could only handle so many livies!)

It also helps to have a Sony portable DVD player($199.00) to put the Wiggles on if everything F@$%# up!

Good Luck!

Those Hairtail are weird things, my father in-law caught a 15kg, 1.8m monster at Brooklyn in only 6m of water.Went back to the same spot the next weekend and caught another 3 smaller ones.This was only about a month ago.

must of been a fat hairtail, my 1.7 metre one i caught last year was bang on 4kg