Squidding In Port Hacking

Hey all ,

Decided to have a crack at the squid today with a couple of the mods :biggrin2:

Hit the Port Hacking in less than ideal conditions with a nice southerly blowing.

This was my first go at squidding for a long time and I must admit I had a ball with the lads watching these little buggers squirting ink all over the joint.

We ended up with 9 Green eye Calamari and 8 Cuttlefish in the space of a couple of hours fishing the weed beds .

Sam did get one great cast away and his beloved "SHRIMP HUNTER " lure sailed into the bank like a missle minus the line it was attached too :074: .

Chris and Sam got plenty of ink on themselves and all over my boat ,which washed off really easily.

We dropped as many as we caught and it was a very enjoyable day out ,thanks lads :thumbup: .

Finished off the day with Maccas at my joint after cleaning the boat :yahoo:

I now have two very nice Calamari Squid on ice in the freezer ready to for my next Jewie session on the beach .

Cheers Stewy

Well done fellas! :thumbup::yahoo: The Hacking seems to be chockers with squid lately - I managed a dozen in 1.5 hours a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like a productive session despite the poor conditions. Did you guys use Egimax? - I'm thinking of picking up a can or two (hmm... glow or normal or both? :biggrin2: ). Good luck for your upcoming jewie session, Stewy - seems that there's a few around. Maybe we should try to nab a few at the Entrance Social.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

We were using egimax Ryan and that is definately the plan to hit the North Entrance hard for a big jew on the Social weekend .

Last year there was heaps of weed on the beach and made it impossible to fish,so hopefully being a bit later and a few westerlies will get us onto the big fellas :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

Sweet. My cousin and I have sussed a few spots along North Ennie - should be good to see if there's some jew around (seems there's always a couple getting caught of the beach). I've got a dozen freshly-frozen squid waiting to be smacked by a big king (I should get some tailor too...)

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Well done fellas! :thumbup::yahoo: The Hacking seems to be chockers with squid lately - I managed a dozen in 1.5 hours a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like a productive session despite the poor conditions. Did you guys use Egimax? - I'm thinking of picking up a can or two (hmm... glow or normal or both? :biggrin2: ). Good luck for your upcoming jewie session, Stewy - seems that there's a few around. Maybe we should try to nab a few at the Entrance Social.

Flattieman.

Hey Ryan,

I the lures that took all of the calamari were sprayed with Yum! shrimp scent..which has been more successful than Egimax when used side by side.

I lost a jig that way this week as well. My leader parted from the braid and the jig just sailed into the drink! I thought I made a really good cast. Just think how much the tackle shop owners love our misadventures. Cheers kelvin

Hi Stewy

When you said you were squiding over the weed beds at Dolans Bay, you don't mean Burraneer Bay, do you? I normally squid(from land) over the weed beds in Burraneer Bay across from Shiprock but find the squid very shy during the day and have had more success at night time.post-2393-1175686921_thumb.gif

However 2 nights ago when I was squidding using Egimax, I scored zilch even though I could see the squid, they would not touch the Yamashita 2inch in pink.

Regards Kit

ps I live in the street with the target sight in the map and can squid from land, using the neighbours' hospitality.

Guest IFishSick.

I've caught squid off Wally's Warf, like Kit said, you can really only get them at night there.

And you do need to use some sort of scent to get them turned on, they can be quite stubborn there :wife:

First time for me in this spot and all I know is Chris calls the ramp we launched at Wallys Wharf ? does that ring a bell to you.

Cheers Stewy

Hi Stew

Yes, Wallys wharf is at Dolans Bay but east of Wallys Wharf(towards right hand side on the map) is where the weed beds are. What time of the day were you guys squiding.

Regards Kit

Edited by cruisecraft

• 1 year later...

thanks swordfisherman, much appreciated, i'll try get down there before they shut the national park gates orr do they keep them open ?

The gates are always open and you dont have to pay if you are going to Bundeena :biggrin2:

I hope the info I gave you gets you a few big green eyes ,let us know how you go.

Cheers Stewy