Egimax......brilliant Or Scam?

Red

Hi raiders,

Just thought i'd ask for your opinions/experiences with this product. I'm convinced that calamari are primarily sight hunters..........why else would god give tham such large eyes? :tease: lol

Anyhow, i've been out a couple of times with mates who use the smelly stuff and i've outfished them. To be fair, i've been squidding regularly for a good decade or so and my mates have only targetted them for a few months. When the squid switched from suicidal to cautious mode, i thought this would be the ideal time to put Antimax to the test :1prop: Well, it failed. The scent did not make them any more interested. Infact, we did not catch another calamari. Not the greatest first impression!

What are your experiences? Do you outfish your mates when using Egimax? If so, are your mates good at catching calamari in the first place? Is Egimax better for Arrows that usually reside in not so clear water??? Apologies for all the questions :1prop:

Regards

Red

Edited by Red

Guest dicko1

I have not tried egimax, but do use ultrabite spray and i am close to 100% sure it works. Iv been squiding off the wharf at clifton and have seen the squid coming up to my jig and just watching it and following it but wont touch it... same thing for up tp 4 casts and then spray on some ultrabite and first cast i get him... this has happened on more than 1 occassion...

Guest IFishSick.

:dito: I second that.

Happens all the time, you will get follow ups right to the warf/feet, then he'll bolt when he sees you.

Next cast with scent you'll land him on the first drop :thumbup:

Guest Big-Banana

I honestly think it all comes down to confidence in what you are doing. I feel more confident using the spray then what I would without it. When your fishing and something works you automatically become a little more confident about what your doing.

I think this is a hard subject....much like the subject " do you really need quality jigs"

From my experience when the squid are on they are on, You will get them with or without egimax and with or without quality jigs...

But when the squid are hard like they were earlier in the year then i think things like Quality jigs and the egimax come into their own....

I remember one day i had about 20 casts without a touch...then i remembered i had the egimax and sprayed it...next cast a squid was on....now the question is did the egimax get me the squid or would i have caught it without the egimax anyway.....who knows??

Currently in the harbour there are squid everywhere and you will catch them with the cheapo jigs and without egimax....it would be good one day to maybe run a good test with 2 good squidders and see how it effects the results....

On my boat the crappest squidding day we have had this year is 3 squid (from memory)....we use only quality jigs and use egimax...i have read a few reports from experienced squidders who have said they didnt get any squid.....from memory these guys use cheapo jigs and thats why they didnt get any.

My advice to anyone is to get EGimax and keep it in your arsenal for those hard days and also use quality jigs...Yozuris, Yamashita's or Egilee's....

Also one big down side i have noticed with Egimax is the fact that it seems to reduce the life of your jig somewhat, Jigs that have had egimax on them seem to come apart much quicker at the seam then the one without egimax

Edited by netic

Undecided!!!

D & G

:dito:

Was kinda like a little experiment today, by mistake

me and kbark down at clifton managed a few squid and cuttles today. (didnt tell him i was using egimax though :1prop: )

I had a green yozuri 1.8 and he had the same , but blue.

I caught almost double using the green with egimax.

Dont know if it was retrevial style, placement , colour or sscent :wacko:

Edited by KingsRule

Hmmmmmmmm

Know a raider that ran a simliar field test like Netic mentions a week or so back.

A experienced squidder, a inexperienced squidder, with cheapo an $$$ jiggs used alike. An egimax an no egimax being used.

But as mentioned, everything has its merits on the right day. I will PM this raider an ask him to post his findings in this topic. Was quite interesting.

Dan (D &G)

Hmmmmmmmm

Know a raider that ran a simliar field test like Netic mentions a week or so back.

A experienced squidder, a inexperienced squidder, with cheapo an $$$ jiggs used alike. An egimax an no egimax being used.

But as mentioned, everything has its merits on the right day. I will PM this raider an ask him to post his findings in this topic. Was quite interesting.

Dan (D &G)

As mentioned Dan, there is squid everywhere at the moment...you can catch them with everything and anything....Its during the hard times that the test needs to be done.....

I regard you guys as experienced/good squidders and i do recall you having no luck with squid for 3 or 4 trips this year....I would put that down to using cheaper jigs.....

Ask experienced/good squidders Like Kelvin, Rzee, Miller, Now Big Steve, Sammy and CFD if they ever go without results using the Yozuri;'s/Yamashitas.....especially for 3-4 trips in a row

Edited by netic

Guest IFishSick.

Trust me mate, you can't catch squid in the Hacking using a cheap jig. You may get lucky and get one when the Squid are hot but that's it.

I've used Yo-Zuri's and Yamashita's, even the Yamashita's won't catch squid. I havn't caught one yet, even when I've sight casted to them. They come close for a look then go away....even with scent all over it!

Hey Netic

Thanks for the nice words!!! :1fishing1:

Greg is the tight ass an uses cheap jiggs, I use the good ones, zoris, $20+ jiggs, as well as cheapo's too. But dont you think even if its good squidding at the moment, the findings of our mate still reflects upon a squids prefer feeding patterns. Regardless of whether or not they are on (SQUID), cheap vs $$, egimax vs no egimax. I reckon it further proves a point if the squid are on the bit an dont go anywhere near wheatever it is your using. It isnt good

Anyhow mine, an my only view about this. But its always one of those topics,,,, "like how long is a piece of string"

Dan (D & G)

PS Over the last 3-5mnths I have been testing Wattos new jiggs, an these are quite cheap, less than 10 bucks,,,,, but they have been producing squid for me ever since beore Xmas last year when squid were bloody hard to get. Unlike now! I wont go on, but its a "Loaded" topic this one..... BANG! :1prop:. Purchased another jap jigg today,,,, $37.95!!!!!!!EXPENSIVE

Edited by Dan and Greg

almost double!!! ok a couple more...you dirty dog...holding out on the egimax. I was using pink and blue yozuris and the squid were very skittish. still managed 2 squid and a cuttle. i think the green was the key. they immediately responded to it hitting the water.

Edited by kbark

Guest MRS WATTO

Undecided!!!

D & G

Your the man Dan

you catch all the squid remember??????????????????????????

Your target is 60.

Your the man Dan

you catch all the squid remember??????????????????????????

Your target is 60.

:074::074::074:

Cmon Sean & Claudia give Greg some credit, lol. Hmmmm 60 squid, if I do that I got to have a third person on the boat, which tends to be a lil uncomfortable in a 4.1M tinny! If I dont get out to see you both on Sat, as Im fishing tmr an sat. Have a good easter! an claudia have a few of those green things for me too :beersmile::thumbup:

One of these days I might be able to drag gregs fat A@# out there with me to see you both.

Dan (D & G)

hi all,

I've never been squiding so my point of view is from someone lookin in........

If you had to rely on squid as your gun bait you would have the spray anyway wouldn't you?.... just in case, same with the expensive lure.....just in case it does make a difference. Would you risk going out for the day on a kingie hunt and not be able to say you tried everything to get squid.... all the sake of $25?...

any way that my 2cents worth, when i do finally go squiding and chasing kings this may change but for now....

hi all,

I've never been squiding so my point of view is from someone lookin in........

If you had to rely on squid as your gun bait you would have the spray anyway wouldn't you?.... just in case, same with the expensive lure.....just in case it does make a difference. Would you risk going out for the day on a kingie hunt and not be able to say you tried everything to get squid.... all the sake of $25?...

any way that my 2cents worth, when i do finally go squiding and chasing kings this may change but for now....

Ditto!!

I have a seperate tackle box just for my squidding, with pretty much everything know to man that catches squid in it.

Dan (D &G)

hi all

i did a test last weekend i had 2 newbys chasing squid both had the same rigs and the same coloured yozuris on .what i didnt tell them was. I was spraying one of my mates jigs with egimax and not spraying

the other mates jigs. they where standing side by side in my 5 m tinne

the results where the egimax fisho was getting twice the sqiud the non egimax fisho was getting

the result for the night was around 58 squid between 3 blokes

so in my opinon the stuff works!!!

cheers

miller

Hey Netic

Thanks for the nice words!!! :1fishing1:

Greg is the tight ass an uses cheap jiggs, I use the good ones, zoris, $20+ jiggs, as well as cheapo's too. But dont you think even if its good squidding at the moment, the findings of our mate still reflects upon a squids prefer feeding patterns. Regardless of whether or not they are on (SQUID), cheap vs $$, egimax vs no egimax. I reckon it further proves a point if the squid are on the bit an dont go anywhere near wheatever it is your using. It isnt good

Anyhow mine, an my only view about this. But its always one of those topics,,,, "like how long is a piece of string"

Dan (D & G)

PS Over the last 3-5mnths I have been testing Wattos new jiggs, an these are quite cheap, less than 10 bucks,,,,, but they have been producing squid for me ever since beore Xmas last year when squid were bloody hard to get. Unlike now! I wont go on, but its a "Loaded" topic this one..... BANG! :1prop:. Purchased another jap jigg today,,,, $37.95!!!!!!!EXPENSIVE

Lately we have been fishing the same school of arrows you have been fishing......we got well over 30 in 2 hours last saturday on my boat and steve got around 25 is his boat during the same time....

Whilst catching thses arrows we tried a variety of thingsss.

Paternosters with 2 cheap jigs no glow light

Paternoster with 2 expensive jigs no glow light

Both of these with glow lights and both of these with glow egimax

All techniques worked and worked well

But these arrows arent always there ( you know were i mean) and when they are not you gotta hit the calamari areas and then the exspensive jigs come into thier own.....cheap jigs will not work in these areas.

When your fishing a estuary like Jervis Bay expensive jigs arent needed there either...there squid stocks are massive and the squid fight for your jig, But heavily fished areas like Sydney harbour where squid isnt always around in huge numbers the expensive jigs are the best

This is a question that will never be resolved.

Technique is such an important part of squidding that no two squidders, even rank amateurs, will ever be the same, and the random nature of fishing ensures that no two sessions by the same squidder will ever be the same.

I fish for squid a lot - usually landbased - and even though I only use the expensive jigs I'd have to say that success or otherwise is dictated far more by facts such as wind, technique, tide and weather than it is by the type of jig used.

Having said that I'll always use the expensive jigs because I hate standing there on the quiet days and saying to myself "maybe if I was using a better jig?". I'd prefer to take that particular variable out of the equation from the word go and focus on the more interesting stuff.

Hi All Its GREG,

Have not sent a message myself for more than 6mths now or been involved in any of the conversation over the site other than through my brother DAN. I have meet many raiders and none raiders on the water. Quiet simlply I myself only use the jig of my choice NO additives NO sprays NO lights and until this year have not had to buy bait (squid) since september 2004. I fish 3 days a week as many will know. All my jigs are from wattos. My advice try EVERYTHING and good luck what works one day WONT the next.

All the best catch you out there

GREG.

The funny thing with lures is, before it catches a fish or squid, first it has to catch a fisherman!!! :074:

Same goes for all fishing gear, and boats.

You can have all of the best gear, yet not catch anything, yet someone with a $20 combo can catch fish.

Fishing is one of the only sports where everyone is on a level playing field.

Skill and Luck are a lot more important than all the gadgets.

Having said that, you have more of a chance of landing that once in a liftime fish if you have quality gear.

I need all the help I can get, so I have armed myself with Egimax as well as the Lumo. I have also bought some yosuri's, so hopefully when we get some good weather I can have a go at catching some squid & fish. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Greg

Red its a scam! Youve never needed it before!!!

G'day Reely, they are my initial thoughts after only a couple of sessions. I'm convinced that a well worked, quality jig does not need any stench. I've always been a fan of large jigs, usually 4.0 size Yozuris and usually do well on Southern Calamari with these. Even quite small Southerns are prepared to take on a 4.0 at times.

Never specifically targetted arrows but my initial thoughts are that since arrows often live in low-vis water, smell may be beneficial :wacko: but with such an oversized eye, smell probably takes a back seat to sight. You would think that is the likely scenario :1prop:

Looks like the raiders are 50/50 on this one, so i'm prepared to give it a few more goes before making a full verdict. So far the results aren't great on the Southerns.

Play it safe this easter

Red

well this is a tricky one, have caught squid both with spray and without spray, what i think is that if the squid arent there then no magic spray or jigs is gonna work but if they are there then the spray or even any other stimulate of some sort does make the job a little easier.

many times i have been casting 3 or 4 casts nothing bring it up a little spray BANG squid , but would this happen with out the spray? i dont know

also with regards to yozuris i use them when casting over weed beds and they seem to have a better action and dont let go as much as the cheap ones. i keep the cheap ones on board for guests and i have had the odd occasion when the cheap jig does outfish the yozuri but 8-9 times out of ten the yozuri gets the nod.

when using a paternoster rig i have found that the cheaps jigs do just as well as the dearer ones , so to answer the questions about is egimax any good or are dearer jigs any good? IVE GOT NO IDEA........lol

cheers

craig