Byron Bay

arpie

Hi guys

Going up to Byron Bay in May for a week (yep - another triathlon!)

What is the story on fishing there now - a couple of years ago, I fished the main beach & some dork said that it would not be allowed once it became a Marine Park.

Will be staying at the camp ground in town - so hope to paddle out to the Wreck & flick some sps & along the beach. The water is pretty quiet there normally.

Thanks (in advance!)

Roberta

I was up there at xmas and I believe the beach is open to recreational fishermen. It is off limits when you get as far as the creek at Belongil. Some of the rock platforms are off limits as well but generally only the areas which are hard to get to. ie, despite a fair amount of hysteria, most of the area is still fishable.

Ask around the dive shops for a map of the marine park. There was a tackle store but the owner left town to relocate in Brunswick Heads.

Tallows is well worth a shot. Some nice gutters to work and you can also cast off the rocks at the very northern end of the beach.

Still a magic place

Thanks for that, Humesy

Was a bit worried about the possible 'shut down' of the area. Had previously caught some good fish (all put back) on the main beach & am keen to paddle out, remembering the calm conditions previously ....plus seeing lots of pelagic activity from the safety of the beach!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi guys

Going up to Byron Bay in May for a week (yep - another triathlon!)

What is the story on fishing there now - a couple of years ago, I fished the main beach & some dork said that it would not be allowed once it became a Marine Park.

Will be staying at the camp ground in town - so hope to paddle out to the Wreck & flick some sps & along the beach. The water is pretty quiet there normally.

Thanks (in advance!)

Roberta

Hi Roberta.

I'm about 40 mins north of Byron so if you & hubby want to catch up for a fish let us know.

Cheers,

Grant.