Kingies For The Good Friday Dinner Table

R_Zee

Hey Guys,

i wasnt supposed to get out today as its the last day before the 4 day break. But i got a phone call from Charly, my 30 year old young uncle, asking me to take him today as he will be busy with his family on the weekend.

I have been wanting to take Charly out for a while now so i said what the heck.. lets do it... but i had to be back at the office by 1:30 so i didnt have much time to play with.

Hit the water relatively late at 7:00 as i had to work back last night due to the short notice...

got 4 squid at the usual spots, and a bream that was swimming around on a hard body lure. i love my sharp tooth, bite the squid jig off, tie the sx40 on, hook the bream, put it in the esky, bite the sx40 off, and we're back to squidding!

at bout 9:30 i decided to hit the Kings..

i just wanted 2 for the dinner table, as you know on Good Friday Catholics are not supposed to eat meat nor chicken, Charly was relying on me and pressure was on.

A trusted source told me that the markers are infested with Jackets, and that the kings abandoned the usual reefs we have been picking them up on so i had to come up with somthing.

The other day while everyone was fishing for yakkas, i picked up a king that i saw amongst the yakkas.

The plan was to burley up the yakkas, and hope that kings will come and check out the action...

i made about 30L of home made burley, cost me $6 and kept a cloud of yakkas in a feeding frenzy around the boat.

soon enough, 2 kings came by, i was on in a blink. but where's charly? He's catching and releasing yakkas!! and he hasnt even rigged up!!!

he runs for the net, i said dont worry about the net! throw a squid down!!

he riggs up in a minute or so as im watching the 2 kings swim together.

as soon as he threw his bait down he was on. i pulled my fish in, measured 62cm.

soon enough his twin was boated. Charly was stocked!

we were fishing fairly light as i didnt expect to pull up hoods 2m away from the boat in 3m of water

stayed there for another 20 minutes but no more action.

Charly really wanted to downrigg live squid at the markers which we did for zilch... toooo many jackets.

decided to call it quits about mid day.

not a bad morning in beautiful Sydney Harbour.

Tony

post-2217-1175756092_thumb.jpg

Edited by R_Zee

Well done Tony.

Fantastic day on the harbour and it was hot. Nice to get a few warm days in before winter. Tony, how do you make 30L of burley for $6.

Cheers

Kurt

2kg of rice will fill a big bucket when boiled , 2 cans of cat food and off you go!!

best burley i know

Good going Tony, your alertness and thinking has produced the goods.

I would never have thought about the rice thing, I knew that cat/dog food was good for burley. Maybe the yakkas originated from Asia :biggrin2:

This is all I need to say :yahoo::biggrinthumb::clapping::1worthy::1worthy::1worthy:

Cheers Kelvin

Hey Kelvin...

c i didnt tell any1 i dropped that J... shhhh

is it bad to fish on sunday? :1prop:

weather is looking good

Good going Tony, your alertness and thinking has produced the goods.

I would never have thought about the rice thing, I knew that cat/dog food was good for burley. Maybe the yakkas originated from Asia :biggrin2:

alot of fish seem to have originated from asia... everything goes nuts over it!

Guest 27amberjack

Great work. Went to the harbour in a guide boat Thursday. Caugth 5 squid and 2 taylor in 7 hours. (Purple boat) What a waste of time and money. All the guide did was ring people on his mobile phone and bag this site. Very disallusioned in Guided fishing trips. The weather was great and I enjoyed my son's company. Can't wait till my boat arrives

Great work. Went to the harbour in a guide boat Thursday. Caugth 5 squid and 2 taylor in 7 hours. (Purple boat) What a waste of time and money. All the guide did was ring people on his mobile phone and bag this site. Very disallusioned in Guided fishing trips. The weather was great and I enjoyed my son's company. Can't wait till my boat arrives

I have been out with the guide you mention twice... Both times we didnt get any kingy's, and on one of those trips the only feed we got was a small tailor and bonito! I have heard many others complain about him just talking on his mobile however he didnt do that with us. The prices are pretty astronomical but he always seems to be pretty booked up. I think he needs to upgrade a bit as neither of his boats have a downrigger... All in all I thought he was a good bloke, just didnt get any fish and at $170 pp... I just thought it was a bit much!!!

On another note, top effort on a quick session there R_Zee!! At least your set for today, i dunno what I'm gonna eat!

I have been out with the guide you mention twice... Both times we didnt get any kingy's, and on one of those trips the only feed we got was a small tailor and bonito! I have heard many others complain about him just talking on his mobile however he didnt do that with us. The prices are pretty astronomical but he always seems to be pretty booked up. I think he needs to upgrade a bit as neither of his boats have a downrigger... All in all I thought he was a good bloke, just didnt get any fish and at $170 pp... I just thought it was a bit much!!!

On another note, top effort on a quick session there R_Zee!! At least your set for today, i dunno what I'm gonna eat!

have you already eaten your king?

have you already eaten your king?

Yeah I ate it that night! It was delicious, heaps better than the barra I caught up in Darwin, they were saltys and we ate them that day as well. I would rate it up there with threadfin salmon which is very high on my list, as long as they have been exposed to some salt water!

I ended up cooking my king with one of the recipes on the 2nd page in 'Kitchen'. It was the one with the slow roasted tomatoes. Highly recomend! Enjoy!

Those charter operators have a tough job out in the harbour. Now especially as the water starts to cool. I have personal friends who have gone out with the said charter operator in the right time of the season and caught 20 kings easy. I have gone out with most of the charter operators in Sydney and have had mixed results depending on the time of the year. Went out earlier this year and bagged out on the kings with lures and squid.

THe problem these guys face is that "their"spots soon become too crowded and popular. Their bait supplies soon become really scarce. Catching squid for instance is a lot harder this year than it was last or the year before. 10 years ago hardly anyone was squidding in the harbour. 5-6 years ago no one was downrigging. There are now literally 100's of boats on the harbour fishing for kings during the warmer season.

If it wasn't for the charter operators I would personally find it hard to believe that the fishing is so good in Sydney. I learnt downrigging through a charter operator, learnt how to catch squid through them as well. I guess I go on charters to learn ...not necessarily catch fish. Cheers Kelvin

If it wasn't for the charter operators I would personally find it hard to believe that the fishing is so good in Sydney. I learnt downrigging through a charter operator, learnt how to catch squid through them as well. I guess I go on charters to learn ...not necessarily catch fish. Cheers Kelvin

Well said mate.

I am booked on a charter in a couple of weeks. Personally I don't care if we don't catch a lot, but I guarantee I will get my dollars worth of tuiton out of him :)

I will be on the poor blokes back all day with 100s of questions :1prop:

Cheers.

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

Went to the harbour in a guide boat Thursday. Caugth 5 squid and 2 taylor in 7 hours. (Purple boat) What a waste of time and money. All the guide did was ring people on his mobile phone and bag this site. Very disallusioned in Guided fishing trips.

Bad luck with the fish. I was the white boat that pulled up and spoke to you guys near the buoy. Have been with that guide 2 times and have boated plenty of fish. Sometimes you find the guides on the phone trying to track down where the fish may be biting. Found him to be helpful with tips, you just have to ask questions. Still trying to improve my squidding (with little success) but seeing someone else do it ihelps

Thursday was tough I didn't catch any fish either but thats fishing. Think with the cold weather coming in and the full moon the fish are being a bit finicky.

The prices are steep bit I worked out that it probably cost me $$$ for the day out with petrol, trailering the boat to and from the ramp, lost jigs etc, so for 7 -8 hours fishing with a guide I don't think its that bad.

Cheers

Kurt