Monday Kingy Trip

roosterman

well i thought i would head of heaps early this trip to make sure we get enough squid . had huntman join me this trip and headed off from roseville about midnight.hit the spit and didnt have alot of luck and left just bfore daybreak with 4 dead squid :badmood: . some idiot forgot to turn the livebait tank back on :1prop::1prop: ,sorry andrew they were hard earned and i learnt a hard lesson. we headed to balmoral for a quick try and scored a few tiny yakkas,there were bloody millions of em and some bait stealin sweep. i saw a massive king about 80 - 100 cm slowly cruise under boat and quikly had livies out to no avail.left for quarantine soon after and there was a bit of a swell rollin but though give it a go.fished a couple of hours and saw one guy get 2 x rats then soon after i got one that went 61cm on a squid head,he must of chased it down as soon as hit bottom i was on,gee these kings go hard cant wait to hook a hood.i also got a samson at 35cm another first for me this gave a very good acount for itself , how big do these get.we were getting smashed by pickers so tried over both wedding cakes for zip.headed over to cliftons to get more livies but no squid except one very cautious one that wouldnt hit lure then spent nearly an hour helping this guy in big boat clear his anchor off an old chain.headed over to quarantine again to have baits picked apart again and i get a big box/puffer fish then just as we were about to pull the pin huntman finally gets to break his nice new birthday present in with a nice samson a bit bigger than mine.. well it was a great day on the water and another 61cm king to my collection [2 in 2 weeks :yahoo: ], must be my lucky number.sorry no pics of other samson as i forgot as we were knackered after one loooong day...thanks huntman for the company,it was a great day.next time i promise not to suffocate the squid. .

post-2219-1176199184_thumb.jpg post-2219-1176199339_thumb.jpg

Bad luck on the premature death of your squid mate, these things happen...

Those baby samson fish have beatiful colouring on them...

On the subject of your live bait tank, is that a home made job? It looks like quite a good setup...

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tony Soprano

hey dicko,seems like i had all the luck once again,expert squid assasin more like it :1prop: .

tony that livie tank is a reefrunner and sean at wattos gave me the sweetest deal on it,it was already cheap and with the raider discount i prob shoulda been wearing a balaclava :074: .good shop ,good prices and advice..wish i got one years ago.i just need to remember to turn the bloody pump back on if i had it off...

thanks penguin , that samson went 35cm and gave a good account for itself how big do they grow??

sammy we did strip them up and unfortunately fed the pickers,the king was caught when i sent the half demolished head back down,must of been hungry and sick of being beaten to the bait by pickers. :074: .

thanks guys...hope to see you out there next week.. steve...

Up to 60cm inside the harbour, and up to 100lb in western australia.

100lb :1yikes: that sucker would tow me to nz and back,what gear do they use,anchor rope and deck winch :074: . is the fight as comparable to the little ones for size.. i might have to research these suckers as i know bugger all except that one i got give a bit of stick for a small tike...

all i can say captain hook is that the way a kingy smashes a livie reminds me of my beloved chookies :1crybaby:

Hey roosterman.

Nice fish mate. I think we spoke to you guys at Middle head squidding, you told us you had 4 squid and we had a big fat 0. I'll say gday next time if we see you. We were in a 530 quintrex.

Cheers

Hey Huntman

Was wondering if you dont have a boat, can you point those that are LBG in the right direction of squid an kingys????? Its easy enough off a boat but without one DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh

Anyhow was hoping you might have some SECRET spots you could all share with us? :1prop::biggrin2:

Cheers

D&G

PS where else do ya guys get ya squid from????? We have been getting them (squid), but sick an tired of deal with fools!!!!!!!!

Edited by Dan and Greg

I'm still very much learning myself (yet to catch a king landbased). I think I have the squid side of things down a lot better than the fishing unfortunately. I got into it on the tail end of the season though, so I'm going to try again next year, hopefully with better results. If I score any fish, rest assured I'll let you guys know.

For squid though, they are everywhere. Because I'm landbased I usually get mine wherever I am going to be fishing. I usually get a couple at clifton gardens fairly easily, and there are some good spots in botany bay and port hacking too.

Being in a boat is a lot easier though for scoring the kingfish, and I'm grateful whenever I can get a ride.

PM me if you want more detail on squidding, I'm going out friday in one of darren's boats hopefully, so I could use some info on spots to try for kingfish this late in the season if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks for the ride roosterman, and no worries on the squid. I slept for 14 hours yesterday :\ it was great. We were wondering how all the other raiders went after scoring their squid at the spit. Some guys had 10+

thats cool huntman,mate i was still swaying till i crashed at home.i think my body was still fighting the rocking of the boat.not a nice feeling when trying to crash... i was knackered at work the following day,that sure was one long session.pitty we didnt get you a king though. i think its nearly all over now and they will be few and far between but the hoods should be more prevailent.. theres always next season,for the kings and my beloved chookies :074: ..